Rabbits

Def. Want to get some rabbit hunting in.....just got to find a good place to go. Never jumped any rabbits when upstate but my backyard has a bunch but cant hunt them where im at in suffolk lol.....:(

Suffolk allows rabbit hunting. If your neighbors give you permission within 500', you're good. You don't have to take them with a shotgun or bow in LI.

I hear LI is great for rabbits, either by dog or by briar pants.

• 4 weeks later...

Rabbits were all over the place till around Aug 17 then they seemed to have vanished.  If there is anything to the amount of young I saw into August it should be a great year.  The cover in Otsego county is still so thick it is virtually impossible to see them in the brush.  So until we get some heavy frosts...they are pretty safe.  

There is nothing like a few well trained beagles running rabbits. Its a shame most beagles aren't trained to come when called.  

I had one under the stand the other night...if it's true as Joe said  ...legal to carry anair gun while bow hunting I just may ask for one for Christmas this year...

Airgun is a legal hunting implement for the last 2 years now and therefore categorized as a firearm, so no go during the bow season... Not sure where Joe is getting that from. This is what I  read and understood, unless you fellaz know otherwise...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went for a walk today along the swamps and the hills, not as many tracks as I had hoped. I hope that it's not a sign of too many predators hunting them. I walked and kicked some bushes for about an hour with out kicking up a single rabbit. I did see quite a few fresh deer tracks though. Maybe a future stand location for next year. Hopefully I will get some more time in this weekend. Has anyone else been out yet?

Angel and I have kicked out a bunch...only problem is they have been in the equipment area...prefer not shooting up the brush hog...seed trailer....tractor trailer or the trailer that holds the drainage tile disc or plow...might tick off Mr B...and boy do they know were to dodge before hitting the wood line!...lol

Edited by growalot