NYS Transferable registration question

Enigma

I've got a line on another motorcycle I'm interested in purchasing. The issue for me is the seller states he doesn't have a NYS title for the bike, only a NYS "transferable" registration. He's still looking for it but I'm pretty sure it will end up being an expired NYS reg.

I've never purchased a vehicle in NYS off a transferable reg. Always did it with a title transfer. If the docs he finally shows me seem legit, can I still get a title and regular reg for it in NYS? The model year of the bike is 1982 if it matters.

Thanks

Edited by Enigma

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I've got a line on another motorcycle I'm interested in purchasing. The issue for me is the seller states he doesn't have a NYS title for the bike, only a NYS "transferable" registration. He's still looking for it but I'm pretty sure it will end up being an expired NYS reg.

I've never purchased a vehicle in NYS off a transferable reg. Always did it with a title transfer. If the docs he finally shows me seem legit, can I still get a title and regular reg for it in NYS? The model year of the bike is 1982 if it matters.

Thanks

I know for atv’s ( I’m assuming motorcycle is the same ) he will sign over the registration and you and the seller will sign a bill of sale . Then you take the registration , bill of sale to the dmv and they will assign the motorcycle to you , and charge you sales tax on the amount you paid . 

MC's in NY have had titles since the mid '70's.  

All Registration certificate have transfer of ownership on the back, but you can only use that if the front has " transferable" on the front.  

If the owner of the MC can't find the title, and it was registered in his name, he can apply for a lost title. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enigma said:

Thanks

If bike is old thats all you have  i sold my old willys pick up with one. Will say transferable  right on registration.  No title needed

I just bought a 2005 Honda Accord with a title. The new title from DMV only took about a week to be mailed to me with my information on it.

Hope this helps 

Ps, check your local DMV hours. Mine is by appointment only on Monday and Fridays. Was quite annoying when I went on Thursday to grab some paperwork and was told just come back tomorrow!! Only to have go online to get a Monday appointment.

Edited by Meatball

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Just have him get another title from the DMV I would say no title no sale.

3 hours ago, DDT said:

1982 is a title required year. 1973 and newer motorcycles all require titles as proof of ownership.  The owner can get a duplicate title to sell it if the original is lost. 

My thoughts exactly. I told him this but he doesn't seem to care or have the motivation to do it himself.

4 hours ago, mowin said:

MC's in NY have had titles since the mid '70's.  

All Registration certificate have transfer of ownership on the back, but you can only use that if the front has " transferable" on the front.  

If the owner of the MC can't find the title, and it was registered in his name, he can apply for a lost title. 

Understood. I guess the question I have now is if he transfers ownership of the bike to me via the transferable reg, can I just skip the step of him applying for a title and apply for one myself? 

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

My thoughts exactly. I told him this but he doesn't seem to care or have the motivation to do it himself.

Understood. I guess the question I have now is if he transfers ownership of the bike to me via the transferable reg, can I just skip the step of him applying for a title and apply for one myself? 

If he indeed has a transferable registration. 

I purchased a snowmobile a few yrs ago from a client who never registered the sled because it was only used on his property.  He couldn't find the certificate of origin, and I was able to get a transferable reg with a little running around.  Not sure if it's the same with MC's. 

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I wouldnt touch a bike that the owner cant or wont come up with a title . Not uncommon for non running bikes to get swapped around a bit (have had a few myself) for parts or repair, and titles get lost. 

Agreed. But this bike looks to be all original and I should be able to match the vin # on the reg to the one on the frame. If they're the same I feel confident I can get a title for it. Just annoying to me that people put stuff up for sale but don't have ANY documentation for the item on hand to complete a deal in a decent time frame. Its like they're just putting an item up for sale as a joke lol. Right now I'm waiting for the kid to come up with the reg that his dad supposedly has and waiting on his dad to come home (???).

Thanks to everyone for they're input. Much obliged. I'll keep you all in the loop!