Zem's Trials and Tribulations

Zem18

Hey all - Just like Fletch and Eddie we all used to keep a running storyline on another website which has now gone silent. But I am glad we all found this one here - Thanks to Eddie!!!

We come up with corny names sometimes but it makes it fun. I already miss last year as I was unemployed and spent alot of time in the woods. This year it will be 95% the opposite. I will be a weekend warrior with a few hunts after work on Fridays until daylight savings time and then none. Hopefully there will be some good hunts to share and I promise to add pictures at some point as well.

10-16-10 - Opening Day

I braved the wind like most of us diehards and got out there about 30 minutes before first light. When I walked in I noticed my trail camera didn't take my picture. I had reset it the week before on Friday but didn't check it the night before the opener. I sat and endured that wind for about 3 hours and said phooey and went to check my camera. It said it was full. Here I am thinking WOOHOO but then realized the wind may have triggered quite a few pics. To my surprise I had NO pics at all. The SD card was empty. Not sure what happened but that is the 3rd week of pictures I lost this year. A squirrel unplugged my battery pack for one week. I fixed that issue and the battery died the next day. And then the FULL thing.

I headed home as I coach my daughters soccer team and we had a game at 10:30am. AS I am headed down the road driving, a doe and fawn decide to step out in front me. I watched them pass and said see you in the woods girls. Saw another 3 does feeding in a backyard on the way home. Nothing spotted on stand.

Went back out at 2:30 that afternoon and sat until 5:15. Nothing :( Had to go as it was my Mom's 68th B-day so we were having dinner.

10-17-10

Beautiful morning and was on stand by 6:05am. Didn't get light until almost 6:50am. I heard one crashing behind my stand as I approached but it was DARK. Around 8:40am I spotted something black headed right to me. TURKEYS :)  - Two toms with decent beards headed right on a trail past my stand. I hunt turkey with the gun and still have yet to kill one so I am thinking, I am going to take my first bird with the bow...SWEET. Well they get to about 25 yards and stop behind a tree branch. Still watching and waiting when another two toms come out of the thick stuff and walk right up to the other two. The big one starts clucking and they all turn around and go back the way the first two came. It was an exciting 40 seconds but that was all action for the day besides the treerats and chippies.

Had two doe on the trail cam - one at 1:30am and another at 3:30am. Not looking too good just yet but the action should pickup soon.

Yeah you better be quiet as I will be sleeping Burt!!! Good luck this weekend bud.

Hey Fletch my bro. How's things? Good from what I've read so far. AT least someone is seeing deer.

I got a call from my father this morning. He was sitting in his kitchen when a hobbled legged doe and her fawn came out to feed in his backyard. All of a sudden from out of nowhere a LARGE bodied deer with no horns starts dogging the bad legged doe. He chased her and chased her all over the place until they both disappeared. The fawn was standing there with her tail straight outward and then another no horner starts chasing her. Those 2 frosts we have had have caused a stir  down here. Its raining now but they are calling for low 30's tonight so we could see a wet dusting in the morning. Too bad I have to work but will try to get the last hour in the woods if all goes right.

10-22-10

Got out of work at 5pm and I flew to my in laws to get a late, late hunt in. I was in my stand by 5:43pm and light was fading fast. On the walk in I have to walk through a path between two patches of Autumn Olive. As I was sneaking through there i came by my trail camera and heard something in the Olive to my right. I look and see a huge fluffy tail on a little dog. Except it wasn't a dog. It was a grey fox. In all the years I have hunted, I have never seen a fox until now. I lost site of it and climbed my tree. Abot 2 minutes later it bolted behind my stand and back into the deep woods. Sat until wayyy after dark (6:45pm) and climbed down with nothing but the fox sighted.

10-23-10

Little frosty this morning and perfect for hunting. Was on stand well before light. Hopes were high but expectations were not. And for good reason. At 6:59am off int he distance I heard my first shotgun blast. I was stunned but not really as nothing surprises me anymore. Then as light grew, more and more shots int he distance. The at 7:50 I almost fell out of my tree as the neighbor decided to target practice with a 20gauge (sounded like it to me) to the tune of 30 to 40 rounds at less than 125 yards from me. I was so frustrated I went for an hour drive looking for deer as I have not seen a one on stand yet. Saw 4 on the drive.

10-24-10

Took the kids to my alma mater high school football game last night. I now live in the rival district and so my daughter is the enemy, lol. My neighbor and hunting buddy is also a coach for the rival team. The rivals got spanked 35-19. WOOHOO.

ANyways made plans to hunt with my biddy this morning. We made it to his buddies house. I drew the lower stand by the 2 fresh buck rubs so was hoping for at least a sighting today. At 830am I could hear the leaves rustling and 70 yards behind my stand where 2 deer were headed to me. Within 5 seconds they changed course and headed towards my buddies stand. They ended up skirting him through the pines and he watched them walk as well. Had to work for a few hours today so we headed out.

Finally saw something while on stand so things are looking up.

10-29-10

Well not sure what I was thinking but I tried to sneak into my stand after work tonight. It was cold and windy but I had the desire to be out there so I went for it. I didn;t headed in until 5:45pm as that is when I got to my hunting spot. I was almost 25 yards from the base of my tree when I see a deer about 10 yards past my treestand. It's a buck too so I froze. He didn't see me so I watched as he fed along behind some trees. At that point I knelt down and nocked an arrow. After it came out past the trees I noticed it was my friend the 4pt. He fed for a few minutes and the wind was blowing hard at my back right to him so I knew I was busted. Sure enough, I heard the snort and saw the tail so I stood up and headed to my stand anyways.

Didn't sit long obviously but that was fun.  As I was getting down I heard some movement in the leaves and thought it was a squirrel. To my surprise, it was the grey fox again and this time I was 15 yards away from him. He knew I didnt look right so he skirted me carefully and then took off.

Had a soccer game at 9am Saturday morning so couldn't get out for the morning hunt. Now that I am done typing, I am headed to get ready and make sure I am early in the woods this afternoon. Hope to report back with some success tonight.

10-30-10 PM

Well I was in my stand around 2:45pm. It was a little windy but not too cold. My eyes were scanning the woods and scanning. Around 5:30pm I saw movement about 90 yards back in the woods. I grabbed the bow and focused on the spot I saw the deer move past and just beyond that to the next opening. The deer never came to the next opening. I watched for over 5 minutes and then I see a flash of tail in the original spot. Not sure if I got winded or not but that sucked. At 6pm I heard something behind me inthe field so I turn around and it is a gray fox following the trail past my camera and into the Autumn Olive. That dude is cool to watch. He feed 10 yards from the base of my tree for over 10 minutes. Plenty of shot opportunities but if I'm not eating it, and I don't have the cash to stuff it, it walks LOL. I climbed down about 6:15 as it was dark already.

I don't think I mentioned this before but in my 21 years of hunting I had never seen a fox in the wild until this year. Funny how the littlest things excite me now.

10-31-10 AM

My buddy and I headed to his friends property for the morning hunt. Saturday morning a few guys hunted up there and they had deer all over the place, grunting and running. One shot a nice doe and another guy missed a 5pt as he squeezed his trigger before coming to full draw. Thise damn deer make us come unglued don't they?

Well we were in the stand by 6:40am and sat in the wind until around 9am. My buddy couldn't take the tree swaying anymore so he texted me he was coming down. Big ZIPPO for both of us.

Guess I got spoiled last year being off of work during bow season because this year I still am not feeling it. I have had Zero close encounters unless you call 35 yards close and I wasnt even in my stand. This work stuff just sucks. Sorry to vent my frustrations. Hoping this weekend things get better. Plan to spend as much time out there as I can.

I hear ya Zem. While I have seen red foxes numerous times this is the first year I have seen a grey one while hunting and they are fun to watch. I would not shoot one either not even to stuff. I only kill what I will eat with the one exception of yotes.

Sorry to hear you are not getting out a lot! I am having my usual dificulty of taking a adult doe!! I am passing lots of 1.5 yr. old bucks for a few more days anyway.

Good luck out there.

You guys are right, it can happen at anytime. I'm hoping the time comes soon though. I have been so busy it just doesn't feel right this year. Now my daughter has started indoor soccer and her games are at 8am every Saturday for the next 6 months including her first game THIS SATURDAY UGHHHHHHHHH!!! I have spoke with the wife and I am out after the game to spend the rest of my time in the woods along with Sunday morning. Good luck to you all this weekend. We all need a break and deserve to have our hard efforts rewarded.

Those grey fox make an eerie sound , like a scream . Be careful , they can climb trees . You might find one in your stand .

I was getting bummed as I havn't taken a shot yet and then thought about the fact that in 2008 , the buck I shot was on the marine Corps Birthday ( Nov 10 ) . Hang in there guys !

Fasteddie,

The Marine Corp's Birthday. I worked with a Marine years ago and he let everyone know who crossed his path that Nov 10th was the U.S. Marine Corp Birthday. I just might give him a call Nov 10th. Thanks for the reminder. BTW his name is Joe Vasallo and he served in Vietnam.

11-6-10

Well how hardcore am I about hunting? The soccer coach called Friday night and said the game is at 9am instead of 8am. So I call my buddy and tell him I have to be home by 8:15 tomorrow morning. He says no problem. We get up and into our stands by 6:40am. What a beautiful morning and no deer spotted by either of us. Here's the kicker of the day though. My MIL calls my wife this evening while I am out hunting and said the neighbor called her this morning at 9am. She asked if I was hunting up there today because there is a HUGE buck in the field headed towards my stand as she is talking on the phone with the MIL. Thats 2 years in a row this has happened right after I had left the  area. Gotta love that kind of luck.

My daughter scored the only goal today at her game too!!!!

Went back out with my bud this afternoon to his friends house. I sat in a new stand that was put up this year - 15ft ladder - Man that thing is high. 10ft I can handle but that extra 5 is no joke. He said I could use a hang on that was 12ft off the ground and about 50 yards away but I passed on that one. Anyways in the stand by 3pm. At around 4 I look left and there is a doe feeding along. She just appeared from thin air I swear. She skirted me between 40 to 50 yards away and went up over the hill. My heart was pumping a little at this point. A little after 5 I saw a flash up on the hill where the other deer had gone. A few minutes later I spotted two doe and one was headed fairly close to me. She was big so I stood up and got ready. Well as luck would have it she made a beeline for the stand I did not choose to sit in. Walked right past the tree and even hung around for a few minutes behind it. Just then behind me another deer appears and walks the trail right to the stand I did not choose to sit in. See the pattern here? It's now 5:50pm and getting dark and I see another deer coming down off the hill. It's headed straight to the stand I did not choose to sit in.

Saw 5 deer tonight, 3 within shooting and spitting distance of the stand I did not sit in, but I was excited over all. They were definately moving but no buck activity of any kind which surprised me a little. We are headed back up there in the morning. Hopefully it will pay off.

11-7-10 morning hunt

My buddy and I left the house at 5:30. By the time we made it to his friends house it was getting light quick. We also had company  so 4 of us hunting seemed crowded but it really wasn't. At around 7:15 I heard a bow go off above me. I did not hear any crashing but focused my attention up the hill. I texted my buddy who was sitting 60 yards SE of me and asked did someone shoot? I did not get a reply so I figured he didn't feel the phone vibrate. Then I see a flash above me and hear THWACK. I knew that was my buddy shooting. The deer ran and stopped 20 yards from me but I had no shot. I watched it and it just walked off about 40 yards and then the tail went up and it boogied out of there.

Once we all met up later I found out what happened above me. 2 misses by 2 different guys. But those sapplings are hurting right now from being stuck by them pesky broadheads. Lots of deer sighted by the other 3 guys. One saw 5, the other 4 and the other 11. Me 1, lol, figures.

Got a call tonight and the other 2 guys were up there this morning. Lots of deer moving today and a 5pt was dogging 2 does. He was missed as well and another leaning log bit the dust this morning.

This coming Saturday and Sunday will be my last chance so keeping my fingers crossed. It's been 3 seasons since my last deer with the bow and I am getting antsy.

Zem, Good luck this weekend. Looks to be a bit warm this weekend. Can't believe for me Bow season is done. like you it was tough to get it going this year. My daughters helped me put up the stand that had all the action this year. I even believe they picked the tree for the stand! I am going to build some natural ground blinds next year so they can come out and sit with me.

Be well,

Burt

Yes , its hard to believe this is the last weekend of bow. Spoke with my buddy and I am flying solo on the morning hunts this weekend. It may get warm during the day but these last few mornings it has been 28 to 30 degrees until 9am or later. They will be moving or at least thats my story and I'm convincing myself to it, hahaha.

Funny I was just cleaning my place up, girls coming this weekend, was thinking about you talking about the soccer commitments this year. My younger one started it this year and has games every Saturday at 11:45. It's tough but for me knowing that I only get to see them every other weekend it's a must I am there. Good luck this weekend, like you said the mornings will be cold! Get'er done!

Thanks Burt. I coached 12 weeks worth this fall and thought she was going to play basketball but indoor soccer won that battle. I am with her everyday but you bet I will try not to miss too many because of hunting even though I am not coaching. She understands I may miss a few while at the cabin with her Uncle and Poppa and Grandpa. Tell your daughter good luck on her season. Grandpa pays my daughter $1 per goal. He was out $8 for the fall season and already $1 after her first indoor game, LOL.

My buddy stopped up to get my camera battery today so I can charge it and he pulled my card. I uploaded a few pics to share of what has been happening when Im not there. Enjoy!!

sunp0153.jpg

sunp0024.jpg

sunp0093.jpg

If this doe could talk, don't you think she would be saying "Uh Oh I know what this dude wants?" LOL

sunp0127.jpg

And this was just too funny not to share

sunp0055-1.jpg

They are 3 different ones. I have pics of about 11 different ones but these have been some of the bigger ones. 3 or 4 different spikes, a 4pt, a 6pt barely, and the first 2 I got on cam I posted in the trail camera section.

11-13-10 AM

I hunted by myself this morning at my in-laws. Man it was chilly and getting light quick. I left the house at 5:55 and drove the 4 minute drive to my spot. Nothing in the field so I just boogied right through it and to my stand. I did hear a deer bound off just as I entered the woodline but it did not blow. Around 6:50 I saw a deer running to my left by itself about 65 yards away. I saw it enter the neighbors property and I decided to try and grunt a few times. Didn't seem like it worked so I said lets try the rattle bag and some more grunts. Well I finished my 30 second display of uneducated calling and wouldn't you know it her comes the deer on a logging road 40 yards behind my stand. I can see it is a buck but a little one. He gets directly behind my tree and is headed back into the neighbors land and I grunt again. Bingo!!! On a string he comes right to me. He gets on a run that goes right under my tree. At 20 yards he stops perfectly broadside and poses for me. He is a little spike from last year I guess so he should be thanking his maker as I watched him turn and walkaway. That was my closest encounter so far this year and although tempting I showed restraint in satisfying my bloodlust.

I stayed until 9:30 because I was going to sight in my rifle and shotgun. Rifle was good, 2 bulls at 100, no adjustments. Shotgun - I got a new scope last year after the season. 10 rounds and a sore shoulder but I got it looking fairly decent at 50, about an inch high.

Put some Christmas lights up around the house and left at 2:30 to get out for the evening. On stand by 3pm. Had a deer go by at my buddies place about 100 yards out. I grunted and the deer made a beeline for me. He closed the distance to almost 40 yards and hung up. I could not see headgear but I know that deer heard me. It finally turned around and went straight away from me. Didn't see anything else until we were leaving. Just headed up the hill and my buddy is driving looking out his window and I catch movement out mine and scream WHOA!!! A HUGE 8 or 10pt runs straight in front of us. It was about 2 ft away from being grilled by a Nissan Xterra grill. What a pig of a buck.

Tomorrow morning will be my last stand so hopefully a doe or decent buck comes through. The inlaws place has changed the last 2 years. Not sure why unless they are on to me but the previous 5 years have been great there. The doe are not in there during daylight as in the past so the buck aren't either. I have two buck on camera during daylight, both spikes, and that is it. The apples have been sparce the past 2 years in the area so that may be part of the issue. Well good luck to all tomorrow and the rest of the week. I hope to post some good news tomorrow.

11-14-10 The last hurrah

I got up just fine this morning and had a good feeling. It wasn't as cold as yesterday and things just felt right. I happened to make it on stand without bumping anything so things were good. I settled in and it was quiet. Too quiet. The wind decided to pick up and that pretty ruined a great morning. I was frustrated and a little chilly from the wind so I took a drive to warm up. On the way down the road I saw a lone deer walking along in the wide open through a yard. It was 9am and looks like they just started to move. I was back on stand by 9:20 and ready to go. I was sitting in a ladder stand. Something told me to stand up so I did and when I turned around there was a deer walking away from me at 40 yards. It went the exact same spot as the spike from yesterday so I tried everything to get it to come back. To no avail. I sat until 10:45 and then packed it in for the season.

I didn't even calculate my stats this year as they are pitiful and only one close encounter or shot opportunity for the entore year. I have since officially renamed the Hot Spot to the Not Spot.

I talked with my buddy and we decided that next year we have to do something else to draw them in to stay in the area. There is a strip along the field that is 50 yards long and about 15 yards wide. It will be tilled, fertilized, and planted in August next year. That combined with the crab apples and green apples should increase daytime feeding traffic as in the past. Now I need to get permission from my Father in law.

Friday night I am headed to camp and will not be back until Tuesday evening. I'm looking forward to the getaway and hope things are better with a rifle in my hand. I'll check in throughout this week and should get some pics of the muley deer my FIL and his buddy took in Colorado last week.

BTW in the pics above - I hope you all scrolled to the right and saw the buck coming in where the doe is looking at the camera.