Careful bee’s

Zag

Today we brush hogged some trails that have been neglected the last few yrs. In the process of cutting trail and pushing brush back with the front bucket we uncovered 3 ground nests. Not sure how none of us got stung along the way.

My dad 2 weeks ago got stung a bunch from a different ground nest. 
Be careful and keep an eye out.

54 minutes ago, Zag said:

Today we brush hogged some trails that have been neglected the last few yrs. In the process of cutting trail and pushing brush back with the front bucket we uncovered 3 ground nests. Not sure how none of us got stung along the way.

My dad 2 weeks ago got stung a bunch from a different ground nest. 
Be careful and keep an eye out.

These are wasps? How do you identify the nest, just a hole in the ground? Can you hear them as you approach? 

5 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

These are wasps? How do you identify the nest, just a hole in the ground? Can you hear them as you approach? 

They are usually yellow jacket wasps. There will be a hole in the ground and during the day you will see the wasps flying into and out of the hole. They are very aggressive if disturbed and their sting is very painful. The attached photo is of a yellow jacket ground nest in my front lawn from last year. The white powder is Sevin dust I poured into the hole at night after they were all in the nest. Two days later they were all dead and I filled in the hole.

20210817_100641.jpg.02dcd7af00e1742a1b623fe99500e02c.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

They are usually yellow jacket wasps. There will be a hole in the ground and during the day you will see the wasps flying into and out of the hole. They are very aggressive if disturbed and their sting is very painful. The attached photo is of a yellow jacket ground nest in my front lawn from last year. The white powder is Sevin dust I poured into the hole at night after they were all in the nest. Two days later they were all dead and I filled in the hole.

I use powdered Sevin for ground nesting yellow jackets as well and it works great! Wipes them out within 1-2 days! 

I broke open a yellow jacket nest, while bush-hogging along the edge of a ditch about a month ago.  In about 45 years of bush-hogging with open-station tractors, that was the first and only time that I got stung.  Fortunately, just once on my back, but it was pretty painful.

What sucked about it,  was at the same time and in the same place, I lost the tail wheel on my bush-hog.  The pin must wave vibrated out, and it fell down into the ditch right next to the broken open nest of angry yellow jackets.  I got stung when I drove back to look for the missing wheel.  

I have to believe that I have broken plenty more nests open thru the years, but as long as I kept on going at a good pace, I never got stung before.  

Edited by wolc123

Been mowing state land fields with a tow behind brush hog.

Last week, we hit 3 huge paper wasp nests that were suspended in the woody brush we have been mowing down. 

Man they were pissed. 

Thank God for enclosed cab tractors. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skillet said:

Been mowing state land fields with a tow behind brush hog.

Last week, we hit 3 huge paper wasp nests that were suspended in the woody brush we have been mowing down. 

Man they were pissed. 

Thank God for enclosed cab tractors. 

Them sob’s are aggressive.

9 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

1 bubble bee and 2 wasps. Didn’t see any of them until after I mowed. U will see a hole and bee’s flying around it. 

• Like 1

Yup walking my dog down the Erie Canal trail the other day , she’s sniffing around and I see her start jumping around , I go over to see why …

Ground bees all over her face then they attacked me too !

I got stung about 6 times running away with her in tow

My vet is on speed dial and a mile away

She gave her a shot of Bemedryl and Predinsone ..

She as fine , me just painful .. those bastages hurt 

I got nailed today mowing with a walk behind in front of my barn, got me on the joint of my right hand ring finger, never actually saw the Bee so I do not know what kind it was but it hurt like Hell.

Got a basketball size paper nest hanging from a limb out in the pasture back of my house.

Al

2022-08-25_165211.png

I have been stung more than a few times in my lifetime but whatever nailed me today had the most potent venom of any that I can recollect. Swelled from the ring finger to most of my right hand, she looks like a Ham Hock LOL. Starting to go back down now.

Al

2022-08-25_190525.png

2022-08-25_190352.png

You have a paper wasp nest on that limb and it probably was a paper wasp that stung you. You have a large local reaction on your hand. I've "been there done that" before. Read up on the attached link about large local reactions and how to treat yours. Wishing you a quick recovery.         valoroutdoors.com https://www.healthline.com/health/wasp-sting

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have been stung more than a few times in my lifetime but whatever nailed me today had the most potent venom of any that I can recollect. Swelled from the ring finger to most of my right hand, she looks like a Ham Hock LOL. Starting to go back down now.

Al

2022-08-25_190525.png

2022-08-25_190352.png

Wonder if it’s a white face hornet those things back a punch. I’ve been stung by them and yellow jackets and I always swell worse with the white face hornets.