Team Legend 2010 Deer season!

First-light

It all starts this weekend at the camp. I will be heading up Thursday night with my brother and we will be hunting straight through Sunday evening. My Brother-in-law and his friend may be joining us. There was a new lease across the road from us and I heard that they took a 6pt and a doe opening weekend! Weather should be good but we have a full moon. With a little luck you never know.

I may try posting from the cabin with my IPAD if not it will have to wait till Monday. GLTA

Hey guys just got back,

Friday was cold windy and a bit of snow. I saw two small bucks and one doe, my brother saw 3 doe, 1 small buck and one of the big ones dogging a doe in the field. This buck is real wide with not much tine length. He was about 75 yards and offered no shot. Saturday saw us in warmer weather but a bit of rain. Brother shot at a spike and missed, he is still looking for his first bow kill!

I had two button balks stalking me. I bumped them going in and they were more curious then scared. They actually came towards me will I set up in my stand. They eventually walked off, I think their mother was taken opening weekend and these little guys...

well don't know if they make it the next couple of weeks. I saw a huge buck making a rub at about 75-100 yards. Went over to investigate and found the tree he was rubbing and a scrape line. Some of the biggest scrapes I have ever seen, deep also. Today was a bust except for the red fox I saw. Will be back up in two weeks for a 4 day trip, I continue to mentor the 15 year old from Jersey this year. I have a new set up to hunt with him and hope he gets a shot at a buck.

Have a great week and good luck!

Burt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Got back late last night. We are in Steuben county. We had a great time. Zach's (15 year old I'm mentoring) goal this year was to see a buck from his stand this year. Sat mornings hunt found three doe by our stand and Zach could of shot a small on but held out. Sat night we saw a number of deer but none were close enough, all doe. Sunday morning we again had deer close but nothing close enough to shoot. Sunday night we saw a 6pt chasing two doe right at us! They came from my brothers stand about 400 yards away. The small 6pt was dogging the does and ran them right under our stand. Zach could of shot the big doe and held out for the buck. He was broadside at 20 yards and I couldn't believe Zach was not shooting. In a low voice I say to him shoot and he replies I can't the tree is in the way, you shoot. I did and grazed the deers back.

Clean miss! Zach was so excited that he saw a buck! Monday it was just Jeff and I hunting, I saw 3 doe in the morning and he saw a crotch horn. The wind kicked up Monday night and we saw nothing. I can't believe the amount of scrapes and rubs in my area! Tuesday morning was dead calm, a great day. 7:00 i look towards the field and the same 6pt is chasing the does again. They bust into my woods and skirt me at 35 yards. You could smell the musk in the air. They head off into the woods grunting and crashing as they go. I say to myself boy I wish Zach could of seen this again. I also say that I would of told him that you should always look behind when a small buck is chasing because a big one may not be far behind.  15 minutes later I look over my shoulder and here come a big swamp buck! Two swamps border my property and the older bucks just seem so dark in color. Well this boy is on the same trail but about 10 yards closer to me. He is headed right for me. He stops at 20 yards and sways his head back and forth and decides to quarter away from me. I have to act fast and pull up and let fly an arrow at 25 yards, I miss right under him! The deer doesn't bolt and just walks away following the same trail as the other deer. He was a heavy 8pt with a rack that shot out beyaond the ears and curled around real nice. One side was broken up from fighting, I guess. A real nice 2.5 year old! I go on to see two more smaller bucks an hour later just out of range. They were traveling with each other which I thought was strange. Weather was great, Zach had a great time and I need to pratice some more!!!!

What I thought was important was that Zach, at 15, was able to hold out and wait for a buck! He is on his own next year, it was a real pleasure to mentor him!

Awesome weekend for you bud. Glad you got some shooting practice in too, haha. There were some misses by the guys I hunt with but I still have not had a deer come close enough for a shot yet. Last chance is coming up this weekend. I will hunt all day Saturday and then SUnday morning to try and get it done. Good Luck to you if you come back up before gun.

I wish I could say I missed but I never drew my bow on an animal, only to stay warm on those chilly mornings, LOL!!! Yeah practice was few and far between for me this year so I am kinda glad I didn't see the bigone and screw it up. They have a new indoor range close by so maybe my buddy and I will join and practice this winter. I wanted to do a 3d shoot just before the season but couldn't find anyone to go. I've never been to one and want to try it out.

Hey everyone,

We just got back from camp. Saturday was a very trying day with the wind and lack of hunters moving game. The guys behind us who own a 300 plus acre property were not in for opening day as well as my next door neighbor. After not seeing anything in the morning I met up with my brother and we had coffee in the woods together. We planned on staying in all day so we packed accordingly. After we split up about 1:00 I see two deer out in front of me, two doe.

I take aim on the second one and touch off a shot. They continue to run, the shot was about 80 yards. I hear more shooting where my brother was, maybe he connected also? I went to look for blood and found some specs and it increased as I followed. At about 50 yards I see the deer I shot standing so I put one more into her and she is finished. A hog of a doe, I would guess 2.5 years old dressed out at 135lbs. I call my brother and he says he shot but can't find blood. I tell him to continue looking while I drag my deer out. He calls and says he has blood so I come over to help. We follow the same type of blood trail that my deer laid down. The blood trail abruptly stops so we do circles looking for another 1.5 hrs. I keep on smelling a musky deer order now and then. I say to myself that deer is out in the field in front of us. We give up the search and I tell my brother that I would walk down the middle of the field having a hunch she is there. Well I find her right out in te open, another huge doe. She dresses out at 129lbs. Each shot was a bit back from the shoulder, blowing out the stomach and liver. Well we leave the deer and continue to hunt. We don't see anything so I go up to get the quad at dark. While driving back I round the corner in our pines and there is the rear end of a deer on the trail, he picks up his head and it's the big white racked 8 pt. I am about 3 feet from the buck and I put on the brakes and he jumps up and to the left into the thick pines. We had such a great laugh about that. We see some more deer on Sunday but only does. As we walk out there is a doe in our big field of clover. you can see her plain as day with the moon and the horizon. We stalk her and get within 30 feet, it was really cool. She finally busts us and runs off. Monday morning we hunt and I moved some stands. I met up with my brother and the bottom of the property where in the last hour I was making noise moving the stands. He wants to hunt another hour so I go back to the cabin. As I get to the top of the property I hear shooting from where he was. He bags a nice 4pt. He swears that the hocks he cut off the doe led that buck in. Maybe so cause te wind was blowing right at the deer. We had a great time, my neighbor who has in alot of family the first week of season only took a broken rack 6pt. Slow for them so far. We had a great time have plenty of meat!!!!!

Enjoy the pictures,

Burt

post-211-131455380609_thumb.jpg

post-211-131455380632_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I was going to head up this weekend to get my venison and do a bit more hunting. I was on the fence about going or not. I'm battling a bad cold and would be driving six hours on 3 hrs of sleep. My brother can't come so it would be solo. I do have a 3 day weekend planned for the end of season for smoke pole so I'm going to pass this weekend. My daughter is also getting her first trophy for soccer Saturday morning, important I be there. Good luck to you guys this weekend the moon is in your favor!