Gutless method of gutting a deer

Deerthug

Ive done this method a few times hunting the river bottom in letchworth. As opposed to dragging the deer out alone and taking 5 hours to do it exerting all that energy, i do this instead. Making two trips to the truck with the meat from the kill site is worth it as opposed to dragging it up a gorge alone. Get yourself a nice backpack lol

Ive done this method a few times hunting the river bottom in letchworth. As opposed to dragging the deer out alone and taking 5 hours to do it exerting all that energy, i do this instead. Making two trips to the truck with the meat from the kill site is worth it as opposed to dragging it up a gorge alone. Get yourself a nice backpack lol

Me too and seems like the only way to go in most cases. Plus it's fun.

My family has done this forever in the ADKS. Sure beats the long drag. One time I had only a kitchen garbage bag in my coat so I boned out the deer I shot, took off my turtle neck and tied off the sleeves and stuffed everything in there to carry it out. Not as comfortable as a pack but still better than dragging. Done properly there is no hair or dirt contamination.

• Like 1

I would have thought he would have started from the belly or chest to peel back the skin, cut the meat off, and then bag it as he moved along rolling the carcass over onto the freed skin to access the other side. Then bag the skin.

I would have preferred to keep hide intact as possible, sans the head, and cut off the antlers - slitting the legs and peeling that towards the back to keep it more intact.  Guess I want just to save a hide for a rug or jacket.

Did not watch it yet, but a friend out west learned to do it while hunting in the Northwest Territories. Out west its mostly pack out meat, what with large animals ,mountains and long long walks. Well unless you can drive the truck up,and sometimes I've seen a loader used to get it in the truck....

But those of us who backpack hunt the mountains, its meat And horns cut off at the spot.

Here is a different buddy who lives in Montana, starting to work on. His elk, 1.6 miles from camp still took 4 round trips.

Looks the the start of the video.

post-253-0-64457300-1377640108.jpg

Edited by Larry302

I'd never be a surgeon. I'm much better in a controlled environment. Where I grew up, deer were not dressed in the field. It was taken back to the camp/clubhouse, hung, gutted while hanging. Before that, though, weights and measurements were taken - required as tags were issued by IGF for does to the club. Scraps were dumped at a spot on the club ground where people would target yotes, fox, etc.

I think alot of people process deer in the same manner they were taught. I've had some pretty tough drags in my time and as I age, I'll certainly be more inclined to use other methods.

• 1 month later...

Does NY have any laws or regulations regarding whatever is left behind? there isnt much info on DEC site..in other words, is it perfectly legal in NY to de-bone the meat & remove alters if its not a doe and leave the rest behind as long as you have the tag to go along with it? could save a ton of time and effort in some tough spots