She turns 90 years old this month

I am a fan of the bottom ejection design the Remington 17 had along with the Ithaca 37s and the Browning BPS, the main advantage is it is user friendly for both right and left hand shooters also the empty cases are easily found right at your feet, just makes sense. Nice 17 you have there Grouse.

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Another very nice John M. Browning design.  He sold Remington the rights to it and Pedersen and Garrison made some improvements to it.  WWI put a hurting on it's production and Remington sold a total of 72,644 Model 17 shotguns between 1921 and 1941, although production had been halted in 1933.

Mine has checkering and the solid rib on the barrel, making it more than a basic model, but not one of the high grade guns they did make before production ended.

Hunting with a vintage firearm like this one really gives the hunter a feeling of connection to the golden days in the uplands.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, airedale said:

I am a fan of the bottom ejection design the Remington 17 had along with the Ithaca 37s and the Browning BPS, the main advantage is it is user friendly for both right and left hand shooters also the empty cases are easily found right at your feet, just makes sense. Nice 17 you have there Grouse.

Al 

Also allows for a reduced depth and thinner walled receiver hence the light comparative weight of the Ithaca M37.

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Thats a beauty! 

Not to derail, but does anyone know anything about the Winchester Model 12? I was told its made around the 1920s? Its a 16ga in good shape. I just inherited one. 

The Win M12 is probably the most famous repeating shotgun in history....Lots of info online... I have never been a pumpgun fan, preferring doubles and autos, but I have always had a soft spot for the Model 12...It has a certain  FEEL that no other pumpgun has...I currently have a 16 gauge, circa 1936, and it is my main squirrel gun...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, airedale said:

Al 

I love my Ithaca 37, mainly because it has put every deer that I have shot it at, in my freezer, since I put this Weaver 1.5 scope on it 38 years ago.  The bottom eject did scare me a little bit on my first antlered deer. I had killed the first deer that I ever shot it at two years prior (a button buck naturally) with the open sights.  I got “buck fever” the next year, and I forgot to get a good sight picture on a big antlered one. I missed him clean (I think) from about 40 yards.   Mounting that scope on the received cured me of that issue.  

When a 6-point buck stepped out of the brush, under my tree-stand the following year, a couple seconds after sunrise, the Ithaca was not yet loaded.  I always strictly interpreted the rules and I never loaded up until sunrise.  

I wouldn’t have worried so much with a Remington 870, because I would have seen the slug enter the chamber (there’s plenty of light at the edge of a hayfield at sunrise).  It was strictly poke and hope with the Ithaca.  Fortunately, the slug went into the chamber and dropped that buck dead right there.  

I have lost count of all of them in between that one and the one from last season.  I got my slug back from that last one.  The 16 gauge Remington slugger was just a tad short on energy, to make it all the way diagonally thru the rib cage, from 40 yards away.  At least  some chunks of rib blew thru the hide on the exit side.  I had a very good 50 yard blood trail to the carcass, in the snow 7 minutes after sunset (good thing they changed the rules last year because he appeared 5 minutes after sunset).  Had he been a year earlier, my gun would have been unloaded.  

68125649-20CE-4FF3-B42C-99EB28A6901A.thumb.jpeg.415f1bf4f09b1a1ec6079bff282582c2.jpeg

2EC7F06E-3663-4F68-9927-5A17D95E0412.thumb.jpeg.6ba75c428fc0aa831d34d09736cab1b0.jpeg0B3E3E36-642A-4C7E-AFDF-83C58049121E.thumb.jpeg.675f363839f40f36d19b1f4450cf08ad.jpeg

16 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The Win M12 is probably the most famous repeating shotgun in history....Lots of info online... I have never been a pumpgun fan, preferring doubles and autos, but I have always had a soft spot for the Model 12...It has a certain  FEEL that no other pumpgun has...I currently have a 16 gauge, circa 1936, and it is my main squirrel gun...

That is great! thank you for the info, I peaked a little online but i dont always trust sources. You folks here are who Id rather hear it from lol. Im not sure what id do with it. but it just got cleaned up, I suppose i should grab a few boxes for it. 

That had to be the best 16th birthday present a young man could ever receive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 3:57 PM, Pygmy said:

model 1897 has a feel no other has to but it feels like any wrong move you might lose a thumb. model 12 is more user friendly.