Cube steaks

Jeremy K

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

Why make cube steak at all…. Use tender cuts for fast cooking. Tough cuts for slow cooking and eat good food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I have a 6 year old and an 18 month old that inhale venison cube steaks . I'm not messing with that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i just pound a steak with a heavy knife a few times and it works well.  I like cube steaks with some mushrooms and Mozz in a toasted roll with horseradish.  I usually make these with a couple of the tougher steaks, usually from the front shoulder, that you get that arent from the prime cuts.  

That's my plan ,I will never do a venison roast and cube steaks with a sprinkle of dry rub and pan fried are damn near as good as venison gets.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

vension cubesteaks in the skillet with black pepper, shrooms and pepperjack cheese for the win   Bought beef ones before and like chewing the tongue of a work boot. Too much gnawing and chewing. Daughter and i tossed them and ordered a pizza

Venison cube steaks TF

Maybe I am traumatized from my childhood but whenever cube steaks get mentioned all I ever wonder is why?

We had them often (I assume because they where a cheap meat) they where always dry yet greasy. I had to douse them with ketchup to make then edible. My poor mother thought I had an obsession with ketchup growing up. I do not have the heart to tell her that I loved ketchup so much growing up because it made her well done everything taste better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Maybe I am traumatized from my childhood but whenever cube steaks get mentioned all I ever wonder is why?

We had them often (I assume because they where a cheap meat) they where always dry yet greasy. I had to douse them with ketchup to make then edible. My poor mother thought I had an obsession with ketchup growing up. I do not have the heart to tell her that I loved ketchup so much growing up because it made her well done everything taste better.

I've rarely eaten cube steak since I was a kid.

Mom always cooked it on the stove top with some water and French onion soup mix. " Gravy" poured over rice..

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Your mom wasnt dusting it with sea salt and pepper and putting a beautiful sear on it in a 550° cast iron skillet! Some provolone and A1 with a toasted roll would have changed your opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Salt, pepper and cooked on a medium flame in a non stick pan for 3 hours per side served with a half a bottle of ketchup and 2 gallons of milk. 

Also you lost me at A1. The only place for A1 is in the trash. Everything else sounded fine

• Like 3
  • Haha 1