Cube steaks

Jeremy K

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I had a local butcher that would cube some venison for me but only good stuff from the hindquarter.  After awhile it got to be a pain for the butcher and it wasn't worth loosing the ground that we utilized better over the years in my family.  If a guy or gal shoots more than one deer a year (some commenting here don't shoot one a year I'd bet) they might be looking for another option.

Also, all the BS sausage, snack sticks, hotdogs, jerky etc is for the folks that aren't too keen on venison.  YMMV

Very true.  We go thru lots of grind.  On mature deer, I usually grind everything but the back straps and we always  run out of grind before back straps.  I never add any pork to the grind, or make sausage.

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I cannot speak on canned venison. Very little appeal to me so I have never tried it.
What is the consistency/Texture of canned meat? What cuts go in the can? Do you eat it straight from the can or use it in recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing goes into the jar when I do it.  A friend sticks some garlic in, I'll add that when I cook it.

My favorite way to cook it is in a cast iron skillet; saute'd with onion, garlic and red wine.  After a enough wine, the meat break down into small shredded pieces with a excellent flavor.  Meanwhile, some scratch (who would use instant?) mashed potatoes have been made and some beef gravy too.  I plop some potatoes in the middle of the plate, then meat and some gravy.  To top it off, some frozen or fresh corn off the cob.  Makes it like a Shepard's Pie.  Knock your socks off..........

I don't can every year and sometimes I'll skip a couple years, I'm due this year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Very true.  We go thru lots of grind.  On mature deer, I usually grind everything but the back straps and we always  run out of grind before back straps.  I never add any pork to the grind, or make sausage.

No pork in my ground either.

• Like 1

I'm gonna need you to look at those hind quarter cuts again in the provided picture and circle anything that isnt pure venison. 

While it's all pure venison, as chef described plenty of bits with are not enjoyable.
I don't leave any of that on there so not much to circle...unless I were to cut that roast into steaks.

8d22cb18f7a613dd405b6210d94578c5.jpg

I also do Utilize more ground than steaks for my family.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No pork in my ground either.

I thought I had enough grind for a year, but I just found out that our oldest daughter has had enough of downstate college, and wants to move back home at the end of the current semester.  We were only “empty nesters” for one semester. 

That means that I will need to grind at least one more mature deer (she loves venison tacos).  She also likes sliced backstrap hoagies and stir-fry.  

That shouldn’t be a problem.  I am very well stocked with ammo now.  I just hit Dick’s, in Lynchburg VA, and they had 2-3/4 12 ga Hornady SST’s for $ 17 a box with no limit on quantity.

If only I had that extra ammo for the early September antlerless gun season, I might have punched my second 9F dmp and had plenty of meat for her already.  Oh well, I’ll just have to put in a little more time over the Holiday ML season, if it comes down to the wire, or maybe settle for a 6-point buck.  

Edited by wolc123

27 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Nothing goes into the jar when I do it.  A friend sticks some garlic in, I'll add that when I cook it.

My favorite way to cook it is in a cast iron skillet; saute'd with onion, garlic and red wine.  After a enough wine, the meat break down into small shredded pieces with a excellent flavor.  Meanwhile, some scratch (who would use instant?) mashed potatoes have been made and some beef gravy too.  I plop some potatoes in the middle of the plate, then meat and some gravy.  To top it off, some frozen or fresh corn off the cob.  Makes it like a Shepard's Pie.  Knock your socks off..........

I don't can every year and sometimes I'll skip a couple years, I'm due this year.

So seasoning and adding flavors in the pan and dumping gravy from beef= OK

But pre seasoning meat like sausage= BAD

Got it.

11 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

So seasoning and adding flavors in the pan and dumping gravy from beef= OK

But pre seasoning meat like sausage= BAD

Got it.

Not sure what you're getting at.  If you're referencing the fact that I don't add anything to the canned meat jars I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I choose not to.

Sausage has nothing to do with the canning.

That's silly too. Depth of flavor, enhance the flavor, enjoyable combos of flavors....cheese, toppings and condiments are not meant to "cover up" flavor.
However, Condoms are meant to cover up tube steaks.

That’s what venison snack stix and hot dogs are for. But to add stuff besides salt and pepper to a backstrap is silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

butter is the cooking vessel or would a splash of olive oil be better in your book? I don't put A1 or ketchup on anything. But it's definately getting cheese

Neither. I just put backstraps on the grill with salt & pepper

Canned meat? Yikes. Venison is the only meat I’m forced to freeze. Defrosting is gross enough, I can’t imagine opening a can of meat/spam/chicken. Sorry nomad!

I ate a lot of canned veggies as a kid. Unless I lose my job, I’m never going back to that life. I think pumpkin purée is the only canned thing I’ve bought in the last 15 years

4 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Canned meat? Yikes. Venison is the only meat I’m forced to freeze. Defrosting is gross enough, I can’t imagine opening a can of meat/spam/chicken. Sorry nomad!

I ate a lot of canned veggies as a kid. Unless I lose my job, I’m never going back to that life. I think pumpkin purée is the only canned thing I’ve bought in the last 15 years

Dude,spam rules!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I'm pretty public about my handling of my meat on this forum and pretty meticulous about removing all things white from my venison before I cook it as steaks
If you cut the football roast into steaks, you end up with rings of connective tissues through your steaks. That shit is gross.
869420d24f104fca5998991c800359f0.jpg

Clean that up and it's try tip I think. I don't eat sinew either. I'm with you

20201031_130312.jpg

20201211_091856.jpg

7 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That's a pretty telling post on a couple levels.

You aren't familiar with canned venison I see......plenty of people still "can" venison and many other items. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Defrosting is gross?  Why?

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Not sure what you're getting at.  If you're referencing the fact that I don't add anything to the canned meat jars I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I choose not to.

Sausage has nothing to do with the canning.

“Also, all the BS sausage, snack sticks, hotdogs, jerky etc is for the folks that aren't too keen on venison.  YMMV“

:airkiss:

That's a pretty telling post on a couple levels.
You aren't familiar with canned venison I see......plenty of people still "can" venison and many other items. 

I’ve heard of it of course on this forum. Just don’t personally know anyone who does it. Except maybe Nomad?

Defrosting is gross?  Why?

I’d rather shop once a week and not defrost anything. Just a personal preference. We have to go weekly for fruits and veggies anyway, so there’s no need to freeze chicken, fish, red meat

I’d rather shop once a week and not defrost anything. Just a personal preference. We have to go weekly for fruits and veggies anyway, so there’s no need to freeze chicken, fish, red meat

So as someone who has taken classes on food science. Freezing is good for red meat. It helps break down the cell structure and actually tenderizes the meat

• Like 1

So as someone who has taken classes on food science. Freezing is good for red meat. It helps break down the cell structure and actually tenderizes the meat