Cube steaks

Jeremy K

So as someone who has taken classes on food science. Freezing is good for red meat. It helps break down the cell structure and actually tenderizes the meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And is it true that most supermarket meat has already been frozen?

So as someone who has taken classes on food science. Freezing is good for red meat. It helps break down the cell structure and actually tenderizes the meat

No, most supermarket meat is what is called green beef. Completely un aged. That’s why it stays so red in the case. Stays red but Eats like shit

• Like 2

No, most supermarket meat is what is called green beef. Completely un aged. That’s why it stays so red in the case. Stays red but Eats like shit

• Like 2

However the tendons, sinew and other gross bits found within certain cuts (not in backstrap hence any cut for the hind quarter being as good is a silly comment ) are inedible even after running through a pre-chewing machine.

aadc9c0f0517952950c69037ec3b1494.jpg
All from the hindquarter, trimmed out beautifully. TAKE A LAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 2

However the tendons, sinew and other gross bits found within certain cuts (not in backstrap hence any cut for the hind quarter being as good is a silly comment ) are inedible even after running through a pre-chewing machine.

I know! That's my cheesesteak meat...but we all see the top left corner of that pic. That should never be cubed and compared to backstrap!

I never buy the dry age ones at WF. Just regular and eat that day or next.

Whenever I buy steak from WF or Stew’s. It’s The non-dry aged ones and still taste great on the grille with salt & pepper. Sometimes very close to nyc restaurant quality.

Yea that’s green beef… nasty

Cut it out. Taste just as good as the frozen ones your coworker gave me. I buy bone in rib-eye or porterhouse or t bone. They are fantastic on the grille. Maybe it helps i grille a steak once a week for the last 20 years. I don’t even use butter and it’s right up there with the best steakhouses in America

Cut it out. Taste just as good as the frozen ones your coworker gave me. I buy bone in rib-eye or porterhouse or t bone. They are fantastic on the grille. Maybe it helps i grille a steak once a week for the last 20 years. I don’t even use butter and it’s right up there with the best steakhouses in America

Bullshit, that meat he gave you wasn’t frozen just kept in a cooler of ice. That meat was wet aged 21 days and came from 1 of 3 farms jn Greeley Colorado. Whole Foods green beef can’t compare

Bullshit, that meat he gave you wasn’t frozen just kept in a cooler of ice. That meat was wet aged 21 days and came from 1 of 3 farms jn Greeley Colorado. Whole Foods green beef can’t compare

One of them didn’t have a bone in, maybe that’s why? It was great but not different than what I normally get.

34 minutes ago, Chef said:

Did they teach you that venison was red meat in any of those classes ?  Did they teach that red meats are subject to rigor mortis ?  

I am just wondering why, with such an “education”, that you don’t age your venison.

Did you listen to the “Meateater” podcast where Rinella interviewed the meat expert, who explained the benefits of aging venison ?

How do you think that your credentials on this subject compare to that guy’s ?

• Like 1

Did they teach you that venison was red meat in any of those classes ?  Did they teach that red meats are subject to rigor mortis ?  

I am just wondering why, with such an “education”, that you don’t age your venison.
Did you listen to the “Meateater” podcast where Rinella interviewed the meat expert, who explained the benefits of aging venison ?

I know how they compare to Biz's!!!
That was a pretty fascinating podcast

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Yes, I thought it was very good.  It was especially interesting, that the podcast meat expert said that the worst thing you could do, was to cook up the meat before rigor mortis set in. 

I think Chef is now pretty close to admitting that he made a mistake on voting for Biden, so maybe he’s ready to try aging a deer carcass this year. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

So freezing and thawing does the same thing to the meat… it has to do with cell structure

Canned meat? Yikes. Venison is the only meat I’m forced to freeze. Defrosting is gross enough, I can’t imagine opening a can of meat/spam/chicken. Sorry nomad!

I ate a lot of canned veggies as a kid. Unless I lose my job, I’m never going back to that life. I think pumpkin purée is the only canned thing I’ve bought in the last 15 years

I love canned wax and green beans

When will you eat steak like a man? You and @Marion gotta be the only 2 forum members who don’t eat steak (the greatest meal ever!)