Cube steaks

Jeremy K

When will you eat steak like a man? You and [mention=3682]Marion[/mention] gotta be the only 2 forum members who don’t eat steak (the greatest meal ever!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How dare you put my food taste in the same sentence as someone who served old jerky? You are hurting your credibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ya gotta know your anatomy. 

You can slice and cube a sirloin tip into a steak but you still end up with dental floss mixed in with your now mushed steak. Sirloin tips get made into pastrami here.

The loins go to roasts. Sliced top and bottom rounds make nice steaks if you like small boneless venison steaks. Filet off the silverskin first and heed the muscle grain when slicing. No real need to cube them. I usually end up slicing those into jerky myself or making them into pastrami. Eye of round gets crossgrain sliced for stir fry etc. Shanks get canned.

My personal motto is "they're all the best at one thing". If I want a great steak I'm going for a beef cut. If I want great sausage or kielbasa I'm going for pork. Chickens are made for grilling. Venison to me is great pastrami and great jerky, a couple great roasts, a couple small steaks, some ground and a couple canned pints. 

And for the record I like canned vegetables. Frozen peas suck.

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BizCT said:

Canned meat? Yikes. Venison is the only meat I’m forced to freeze. Defrosting is gross enough, I can’t imagine opening a can of meat/spam/chicken. Sorry nomad!

That’s ok , it’s actually in jars… canning is the process. I bought another 20 pounds of chicken yesterday, @ , $1.69 a pound ,today I’ll break it down to small batches and vacuum pack it , already have 30 pounds canned in quart jars. Tomorrow we’re going to make and “can “ 8 quarts of chicken soup ,I’ll use some of the frozen chicken we already have . ( fifo ) 

Later on we’ll make and can chili , and once I shoot a large bodied buck, ill can 30 pounds of him , toughest cuts become tender and taste great . Other Pluses are, no freezer needed ,  keeps longer then frozen meat , no thawing needed for quick meals . You can also add favoring and spices right to the jars for a variety of different tastes. 

your mistake is categorizing it with spam , which fried over a campfire is pretty good though …

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

That’s ok , it’s actually in jars… canning is the process. I bought another 20 pounds of chicken yesterday, @ , $1.69 a pound ,today I’ll break it down to small batches and vacuum pack it , already have 30 pounds canned in quart jars. Tomorrow we’re going to make and “can “ 8 quarts of chicken soup ,I’ll use some of the frozen chicken we already have . ( fifo ) 

Later on we’ll make and can chili , and once I shoot a large bodied buck, ill can 30 pounds of him , toughest cuts become tender and taste great . Other Pluses are, no freezer needed ,  keeps longer then frozen meat , no thawing needed for quick meals . You can also add favoring and spices right to the jars for a variety of different tastes. 

your mistake is categorizing it with spam , which fried over a campfire is pretty good though …

When you mention canned venison, i'm imagining pot roast-type meat, or even stew.  Is that accurate?

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

When you mention canned venison, i'm imagining pot roast-type meat, or even stew.  Is that accurate?

I’ll add a pic in a bit . Myself I cube it , opps chunk it up,into idk 1x1 inch pieces . Once you open the jar it’s pretty tender, still in chunks but chews easily . I would say it comes out like little pieces of  pot roast meat pretty much .  Great for stroganoff, casseroles ,tacos , can’t recall if she used it in soup yet .

looking at it in the jar ,well tastes better then it looks in the jar 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

I’ll add a pic in a bit . Myself I cube it , opps chunk it up,into idk 1x1 inch pieces . Once you open the jar it’s pretty tender, still in chunks but chews easily . I would say it comes out like little pieces of  pot roast meat pretty much .  Great for stroganoff, casseroles ,tacos , can’t recall if she used it in soup yet .

looking at it in the jar ,well tastes better then it looks in the jar 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Canned venison is fantastic. Learned from my grandmother 40 years ago. I can some every year. Just a touch of canning salt and chunks of venison put in the jar.

I gotta tell friends and family I am out or they'd eat it all!!

i just can't! Reminds me as a kid trapping we'd can chunked woodchuck or muskrat as fox bait. Woul'd bury the jar in the ground few a few months. Oh that smell upon opening scarred me for life. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

i just can't! Reminds me as a kid trapping we'd can chunked woodchuck or muskrat as fox bait. Woul'd bury the jar in the ground few a few months. Oh that smell upon opening scarred me for life. 

Jay...Ill hook you up with a sample jar.  You will thank me 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BizCT said:

Is that a pipe bomb?

lol... Todays modern pressure cookers are very safe to use and usually have redundant safty reliefs and a lid lock.  You dont want to attempt to open it under pressure and the lock prevents that.  You do have to sit with it to monitor the pressure however.  If you drop pressure in the canner to below your target (USDA determined as per your altitude) you have to reset your processing timer and start over.

• Like 1

Just now, Arcade Hunter said:

lol... Todays modern pressure cookers are very safe to use and usually have redundant safty reliefs and a lid lock.  You dont want to attempt to open it under pressure and the lock prevents that.  You do have to sit with it to monitor the pressure however.  If you drop pressure in the canner to below your target (USDA determined as per your altitude) you have to reset your processing timer and start over.

interesting. I was just trying to be funny, but truly have no idea about them

31 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Ya getting the burner set right to maintain the correct pressure  , and monitoring it is easy yet a pain at the same time .

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Ya getting the burner set right to maintain the correct pressure  , and monitoring it is easy yet a pain at the same time .

It takes a little practice for sure.  Ive got it down to a science on my kitchen stove... I use the smallest burner.  Once it gets up to pressure, it hardly requires a flame to keep it there

• Like 1

i grew up with cube steaks, chops, roast, and hamburger meat with added deer fat. it was painful at the dinner table. idk how i didn't get turned off of hunting. my dad did things a certain way meant for beef and not deer. my mom cooked it but didn't eat it. couple years ago he pulled out this ancient broken commercial cuber from back when he had the store. it was all metal, stupidly heavy, and could probably cube a truck tire. i told him to just off load it. lol

if i have to cube a steak i f***ed up at processing, prepping, or cooking my deer. sure it can turn top or bottom round into steak but my wife likes those for other things that are delicious. anything I put into steak, even flat irons off the front shoulder, are cut with a fork or could be with a plastic butter knife.

i have fed my kids since they could gum venison so it's worked for me the way i do things. i've had a deer processed twice in my lifetime and both times the wife basically pitched a fit when she went to cook whatever cut it was that was "chops", "steak", "stew meat", or "hamburger" that didn't come out right and the kids refused to eat it. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

wife and i want to give canning a go. she has an instapot and other stuff that work great.

Do some research on the canner that you would lke to try.... I settled on the Presto (23 or 27 QT) dont remember off hand the exact size, but its the big one.  I did a trial run with butternut squash to figure out the ins and outs etc.  I also bought a few extra racks for double layering the jars... Presto doesnt give you an extra.  Grab yourself a Ball Blue Book too.  Ball aligns with USDA pressures and processing times which have been tested for food safety.   You cannot can with an insta pot but they are awesome for cooking roasts and veggies etc.  I use mine often especially if I am strapped for time.  The old standby crock pot will be used if I am going to be home all day... Ill start a roast in there at 10 am or so and eat at 6.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

wife and i want to give canning a go. she has an instapot and other stuff that work great.

I’m a rookie , do mostly meat , now soup and soon chili , just to build up our pantry and have quick meals when needed . I really like the No freezer part as well, I have a Wi-Fi monitor in our freezer and check it daily when we’re away but still would need somebody respond and hook up the generator or buy a new freezer pdq . At least the canned stuff will survive.

What still fools Mrs nomad is ,  “ oh it’s only 90 minutes this won’t take long .” Lol you gotta clean all the jars ,lids, bands , prep all the food, bring the pressure cooker up to pressure , and it’s 30-40 minutes for the pressure to drop before you can open it . Two batches is most of the day .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

I’m a rookie , do mostly meat , now soup and soon chili , just to build up our pantry and have quick meals when needed . I really like the No freezer part as well, I have a Wi-Fi monitor in our freezer and check it daily when we’re away but still would need somebody respond and hook up the generator or buy a new freezer pdq . At least the canned stuff will survive.

What still fools Mrs nomad is ,  “ oh it’s only 90 minutes this won’t take long .” Lol you gotta clean all the jars ,lids, bands , prep all the food, bring the pressure cooker up to pressure , and it’s 30-40 minutes for the pressure to drop before you can open it . Two batches is most of the day .

True that Nomad... I like to get an early start when I can something, or do as much prep work the evening before.

• Like 2