Is this the new face of conservation? Is this a sincere promotion of the federal migratory bird hunting and conservation stamp? Are they mocking hunters who 1) boast about paying for conservation / being conservationists? 2) take pictures of themselves posing with harvested game? This was in Western New York, by the way and is a movement not an isolated incident... The money and the volunteer hours they are donating is no small piddly amount either...  On a related note the University of California and other colleges have acknowledged that most wildlife biology graduates have no experience with hunting which is different than in the past and quote: "People without any exposure to hunting will soon be managing hunters"

You certainly are assuming a lot from that picture...I read the article next to it....what makes you think that none of those ppl are or have been hunters? Also in the question and answer part the person that posted it clearly states the duck stamps are for migatory bird conservation and hunting..2x's I believe....

You certainly are assuming a lot from that picture...I read the article next to it....what makes you think that none of those ppl are or have been hunters? Also in the question and answer part the person that posted it clearly states the duck stamps are for migatory bird conservation and hunting..2x's I believe....

True, my questions were pointed, but that is what it takes to get some peoples attention... Nevertheless, I would hedge my bet none of the people  in that photo have ever hunted. That doesn't mean they necessarily oppose hunting, though some of them might. Duck stamp sales are being promoted to non hunters and it has caught on with the public at large. Duck stamps are also used as an entrance pass to the National Wildlife Refuge System which gets millions of visits per year.  Both the US Fish and Wildlife Service and state wildlife agencies have been actively and aggressively engaging the non hunting public majority in conservation. More wildlife staff do not hunt than in the past and universities have identified this trend for some time. All of the above is not a "terminal prognosis" but hunters should be aware of this shift and they are not. Conservation revenue from the public at large is increasing while revenue from hunters is on a long term decline. One reason for less revenue from sportsmen is less people are hunting. Another reason is because of the choice of a few to lower sporting license fees, divert revenue, or object to fee increases. The volunteer base, which is also worth millions of dollars annually, has also shifted and is mostly non hunters. Most of these non shooting conservationists also contribute to NGOs such as Audubon. Hunters generally support second amendment groups such as the NRA and their county federation, but only a small percentage are involved with true conservation organizations. While it is accurate that sportsmen are the conservation leaders, the non hunting public has followed the sportsmen's lead and are now engaged in conservation and out number and out spend us.  Taking complete credit and not acknowledging others (who happen to be doing more) will be looked upon as arrogant. Those who oppose hunting will use it as ammunition setting us up for a public opinion battle and the next question will be if the revenue from hunting and ecological services derived from hunting are still needed... Sportsmen like to show the future the past but need to begin to pay attention to what is going on in real time because that determines the future more precisely...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By nyslowhand
      Had an old copy of MS Office 2000 I was desperately hanging on to, until I recently purchased a new PC with Win10. It was in no way compatible with this version of Win and not supported by MS anymore. Anyways, couple weeks ago happened to see a web retailer selling the Home & Student 2016 version for ~$25. Yesterday when I went back to see if it was still available, no luck. BUT, did see MS Office Pro 2016 for $11.11 on ebay, new & with a legit activation code. So, if you've been looking for a gift for a middle or high school child... Sellers supplies link to download, the legit code, both within 1 day via email and guaranteed code would work or $$ back. I did buy it, downloaded, installed and activated w/o any problems! Hell, for $11 can't go wrong even with all the extra programs you might never use!
    • By Rookie1226
      Are there areas in 1C that do not require parking permits reservations etc.? Any public land you can just pull up to a trail head and get after it?

• By Jvilla
      Good morning - 
      I am trying to find spots, (where its legal, not legal, and feasible) to launch a kayak and hunt the north shore.  I am close to Huntington, and found out that they have a no discharge firearm policy)  Does anyone know areas that are legal.  I am not asking for specific 'honey hole' spots.(but I'd take if anyone wants to share!), rather looking for some areas to scout, that are legal.  As always, thanks for the Help. 

Ps - if anyone on the island has goose/duck decoys that they would like to sell, PM me.  Id gladly take a look!

Have a great day and Thanks,

John
    • By gruffian
      Hello to All,

I’m new to these boards. I’m an old fart bow hunter from Vermont looking to hunt more of New York this year. I spend a lot of time in the Lake George Region Adirondacks area. I’m looking to hike some new areas in Region 3. Been down to Deposit in Delaware County fly fishing the Delaware and it looks like the area holds some deer. Was wondering if anyone could offer advice for Bow Hunting on public land. Does public land get a lot of pressure during the bow season? I’m sure it does for gun. Anyone hunt Kerryville State Forrest? Any advice on this area or any other public lands would be appreciated