Anyone else hunt in 6C???

fu2lmao

• 2 weeks later...

Great, glad to chat with someone that knows the local area, I am just beginning to know the region myself, beautiful country, the 2hr ride is well worth it every time I visit my farm, was there 2 weeks ago scouting and practicing my archery skills, had an accident with a crossbow and almost lost a finger 2 weeks ago, typing with one hand at the moment, would you happen to know anyone local familiar with QDM etc? as I am hoping to learn and develop my oasis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are practically neighbors, Talcville is pretty close to me, agree with you on the deer population, cant beat the scenery though

When we first built the camp in 2000 we had deer everywhere.  Everyone saw deer on at least opening day.  Now I can go an entire N. Tier rifle season and not even see a doe unless we put on drives.  I would love to know what happened or what changed.

When we first built the camp in 2000 we had deer everywhere.  Everyone saw deer on at least opening day.  Now I can go an entire N. Tier rifle season and not even see a doe unless we put on drives.  I would love to know what happened or what changed.

Most of us up here are in the same boat.  2000 was right around the peak of our deer population. A little better down in the farmlands, but over all we probably have 10 -25% of the deer that we had in 2000.. Of course many will say this is purely anecdotal.. B)

Contributing factors are the harvest of too many does.

Imho.... Due to the increase in muzzleloader hunters(inlines and scopes greatly increase hunter #s)   capable of shooting does, introduction or increase in dmps( I do not remember any being available up here much before the late 90s), hunter education to the fact that it is ok to shoot does(I remember when no one would shoot doe, 3 bucks were ok but don't shoot a doe), Destroy permits on the farmland wiped out herds(legally and illegally)

• interesting read, I haven't owned my 6c land very long but did notice the low average deer population in comparison to my home back yard which is only about 100 miles away, also I owned land in Oswego county prior which also did seem to have more deer, I do notice there is a bigger coyote population at the farm then I am used to, I also notice the area is heavily patrolled by the DEC, forest ranger and federal game warden, In 8 years I have owned my home in CNY I have never encountered any type of patrol, in the 4 years I owned land in Oswego county I have never run into any type of game law enforcement, now in 2-3 years I have owned this farm I have met more DEC than I thought they employed, I consider this a good thing but wonder why the heavy patrolling

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have hunted up there about 12 years and only ever saw 3 different bucks.  I did manage to get a nice one this season in the town of Fine.   My taxidermist also has a camp near there, and has never seen a buck in the area.  The other bucks I saw were a pair of small 1-1/2 year olds in September, a few years ago, when they ran across the front yard of our old camp near Theresa.   I did get a nice doe there once with the ML.  Very pretty country up there but the hunting is not easy.   Food plots would probably help out a lot.   This year, with so many acorns around, they probably wouldn't do too much however.   Acorns are the real key for me up there and have factored into any deer siting I had up there.   Both stomachs were loaded with them.   Kind of like corn, back home in the Southern region.  

I would think you will be looking at pretty acidic soil up there and rye grain, planted mid august, might be your best bet as a food-plot.