New Binocular Suggestions

Didn't want to hijack Nomad's Anthlon thread. I have a pair of Nikon 10x42's. Not sure what model, but I bought them new in 2012 I believe. They still work fine, but I'm wondering if I can upgrade for $300 or less? I see the Vortex Diamondback HD's 10x42 have great reviews for under $300. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? or another model? I'll go snap a pic of the ones I have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phade said:

Vanguard Endeavor ED II would be my first choice under $300. Vanguard owns their factories. 

Thanks for the input. I see them for $399 though at Cabelas. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vanguard-endeavor-ed-ii-binoculars?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|Smart|Hunting|Hunting|NAud|TopPerf|NMT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JqXr6Pb-QIVyPrICh0APAsLEAQYASABEgL-KvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  are these the ones?

Nikon makes good glass, but that particular model level ATB is a bit lower in their lineup than where competitors of the Diamondback HD, Endeavor ED II, and BX-2 would be. So you'll see improvement.

Alot of tech development really has been in weight, ergonomics, coatings, and the prevalence of ED or extra low dispersion in low-to mid market optics. I've had three main pairs of 8-10x42 in the past 15 years. Crossfire, Diamondback, and Endeavor ED. I really like the Maven line but hard to get rid of the ED - mostly because I got them for $65 at the time on closeout.

I think most people would agree that if you buy a quality set of binos, you can go a lifetime with them and not really be missing the newer tech. That type of glass is not cheap by any means.

I rarely carry my 10x42s into the stand however. If I bring them in during hunting season, it's usually in a blind covering ground or an observation stand. Otherwise, I run smaller compact binos that can fit into a cargo pocket if need be. Most of my use for the 10x42 is from the truck or buried into a hedgerow, etc. for summer glassing. 10x42 take up a ton of space in a pack and I prefer to go in light.

33 minutes ago, phade said:

Nikon makes good glass, but that particular model level ATB is a bit lower in their lineup than where competitors of the Diamondback HD, Endeavor ED II, and BX-2 would be. So you'll see improvement.

Alot of tech development really has been in weight, ergonomics, coatings, and the prevalence of ED or extra low dispersion in low-to mid market optics. I've had three main pairs of 8-10x42 in the past 15 years. Crossfire, Diamondback, and Endeavor ED. I really like the Maven line but hard to get rid of the ED - mostly because I got them for $65 at the time on closeout.

I think most people would agree that if you buy a quality set of binos, you can go a lifetime with them and not really be missing the newer tech. That type of glass is not cheap by any means.

I rarely carry my 10x42s into the stand however. If I bring them in during hunting season, it's usually in a blind covering ground or an observation stand. Otherwise, I run smaller compact binos that can fit into a cargo pocket if need be. Most of my use for the 10x42 is from the truck or buried into a hedgerow, etc. for summer glassing. 10x42 take up a ton of space in a pack and I prefer to go in light.

Thanks, very helpful. I had always used 8x32 for deer hunting in NY until I went out west in 2012 with the Nikon 10x42's and never switched back even back east. A lot of the bowhunting I do in NY (and will in CT), I don't even carry a backpack if it's just a sit for a few hours. Binos around my neck, rangefinder in pocket, and bow/arrows. A lighter pair of binocs would be great. The Vortex DBack's look to be the lightest

Side question, do you sell the Vanguard's?

I see them here for $265 even though MSRP is $399 (used to be $499 i read?)

EDIT > 1 more question. Do I just splurge and get the Maven C1 in 10x42 for $425 or is that not a worthwhile price jump for quality?

Edited by BizCT

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

EDIT > 1 more question. Do I just splurge and get the Maven C1 in 10x42 for $425 or is that not a worthwhile price jump for quality?

Find a pair of used Swarovski 8x30 SLC’s in like new condition around $500 and be done with it. Fit 95% of anything you’d ever need, except mountain game. Lightweight for power, ergonomic case design that never snags no matter how you carry them.

All glass looks decent in good light, great glass looks fantastic in the poorest conditions you can throw at them.

• Like 3

Find a pair of used Swarovski 8x30 SLC’s in like new condition around $500 and be done with it. Fit 95% of anything you’d ever need, except mountain game. Lightweight for power, ergonomic case design that never snags no matter how you carry them.
All glass looks decent in good light, great glass looks fantastic in the poorest conditions you can throw at them.

I’m terrified of anything used lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BizCT said:

I’m terrified of anything used lol.

I’ve bought and sold a fair amount of used/ in the box new type optics, mostly hunting and gun forums. Never disappointed on the buying end. The selling end can get weird. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve bought and sold a fair amount of used/ in the box new type optics, mostly hunting and gun forums. Never disappointed on the buying end. The selling end can get weird. LOL

Terrified…hahahahaha 

I guess I have trust issues. I’d buy from a forum member. But a random would make me nervous on a $500 item unless I could do it face to face then I’d feel better

I completely forgot about this thread. I swung into Cabalas last night and picked up Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for $169.99 at that price point I am super happy with them. Super clear glass. Can't wait to use them in the woods instead of just in the parking lot. LOL 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

I completely forgot about this thread. I swung into Cabalas last night and picked up Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for $169.99 at that price point I am super happy with them. Super clear glass. Can't wait to use them in the woods instead of just in the parking lot. LOL 

That's a great price!

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That's a great price!

Yeah normally $249. I went in to get my license and get a look at the Crossfire 10x42 at $149 but they had the diamondbacks on sale so I went with them instead. For once in my life I had good timing as I didn't even know they had them on sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

HD or non HD? Vortex has been sneaky dickens the past few years, incorporating non ED glass into certain model names, with Diamondback being the primary one.

• 1 month later...