Compass

ridgerunner88

Alrighty off the bat I am a stupid millennial, never did boy scouts and figure I need to develop a few basic navigation skills that don't depend on my phone before I decide to take a nice long walk in the ADK on one of those storied tracking hunts. 

So correct me if I am wrong... the basic idea of using a compass to get unlost is to have a basic mental image of the area I am with major landmarks (roads, rivers) then I just need to figure out which way is north, point in the general direction of one of those major landmarks and I should be on the right path. 

Example.. I know a road runs the entire southern boundary of the area I am hunting... if I get lost, just figure out what way is south and start walking till I hit the road.

That’s about how I use one.  It gets a little trickier when roads follow the course of rivers, streams, or around peaks and valleys.   I don’t run into that too often at my current spot up in the northern zone.  The  main paved road I take to camp  up there runs almost east-west and the main gravel road into camp, off that runs basically north-south.  Even the ridges run basically north south or east west.   A couple other spots that I hunted up there were much trickier.  

It’s even easier for me at my two spots in the southern zone .  Our road runs east-west and my parents runs north-south, and it’s all about as flat as a pancake.  Even the creek was rerouted, perfectly east-west across our farm, back in the 1970’s.  The county did that to eliminate two bridges on our road.     “Google maps”  road view still shows the old course of the creek, but the satellite view reveals the current one.   

If you are unfamiliar with the roads, then you might run into the problem of not knowing which way to go, when you get back to the road.  

I mostly only use the compass, when I track a deer into some heavy cover, and I loose my sense of direction.   They often head for heavy cover, after you hit them with an arrow or a bullet, and if you spook them with your scent, sound, or sight.

if you are going to follow deer tracks, hoping to get a shot at one, then I would suggest getting a topo map, of the area you hunt, and practice using that with your compass.  

• Like 4

Basic use would be knowing the general direction you are going. 

I would recommend having a topo map of the area which allows you to identify landmarks such as ridges and valleys. This can help you triangulate your position 

The next step would be Navigating. (Finding a specific point on a map) this requires the compass, map, a protractor and a way to track the distance you have traveled. It's a great skill to learn but even the military has moved to using GPS.

All of that being said, I always carry a compass with me. I have gotten turned around in the woods and it is not a good feeling.

Edited by Judoka95
  • Like 1

A person walking in the woods not directed by landmarks will find themselves walking in a circle.  A compass will prevent that but needs to be directed at landmarks to be effective.  In the days before electronics Boy Scouts learned orienteering.  I'm betting that's a lost art.

• Like 2

I’ve never used a compass besides on my phone for fun.

But I always always take note of my surroundings when on new land, especially in mountains, etc. sun rises in the east, sets in the west. Always remember where you came from. I always look at google maps before a trip. I truly enjoy knowing areas before I even get there. It’s not just hunting- I remember calling out a cab driver in Barbados for making a wrong turn and everyone thought I was crazy, but I knew the route he took was wrong.

Years ago I carried a handheld garmin when I would hunt big state forests alone in PA. I would mark where I parked. Never needed it but it was piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

most times not needed but u go in the big woods of adks or large tracts  , a phone and battery operated stuff is great but always have a compass,, getting turned around in smaller tracts is one thing but being truley lost where u can walks 10's of miles with no road is another

Edited by land 1
  • Like 2

Using landmarks during the day is fine but if you get an afternoon buck time flies by and it will be dark before you know it. If you are going to spend the money on a compass look for one that is self illuminated like a military compass with tritium.

https://www.amazon.com/Cammenga-Waterproof-Navigation-Backpacking-Orienteering/dp/B001W2CJX6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=57674110498&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oyYBhDGARIsAMZEuMu4bFRf8NiS5NijQXWc5e_3FcD40o168Er_PJgXNLqymclMbS2edpsaAqJnEALw_wcB&hvadid=617131000718&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9005642&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=46714119032323091&hvtargid=kwd-298659618467&hydadcr=9876_13604456&keywords=military+compass&qid=1661221990&sr=8-3

Edited by Judoka95
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Example.. I know a road runs the entire southern boundary of the area I am hunting... if I get lost, just figure out what way is south and start walking till I hit the road.

This simplified method will work for you, along with a detailed map of the area you are traveling. As you hit trails, streams, hills etc. shown on your map you will give yourself an approximate location in relation to your starting point. A map is important in a virgin area being hunted for the first time. I do a lot of moving while hunting and as time goes by I become pretty familiar with the landmarks of a block I am in after many hunts and rarely use a map but it is still in my pocket just in case. The video posted below is pretty much how I use a compass while hunting. My favorite compass these days is wrist job worn like a watch, it is convenient and I look at it often.

Going on a long distance hike in in very remote country is a horse of a different color , a good detailed map is essential  as is a specialized map lensatic compass for map use. The longer and deeper the distance traveled have potential to make for more error coming out to your starting point. There are many youtube videos that give good tutorials on in depth wilderness navigation. 

It is a fun skill to learn and was essential for me especially when Coon hunting at night in big woods.

Al

2022-08-23_091715.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

My compass skills are adequate,  although a couple of my hunting partners  were much better...

The guy who was the best , my old buddy " Mukluk"  developed his skills from his Army Ranger training... He was the " go to" man on a couple of my remote unguided Alaska hunts when we were dropped a couple of hundred miles from the nearest road..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I use sound, in the morning I can hear the kids playing at the bus stop and in the afternoon, lawnmowers ,leaf blowers and gun guys practicing after work .

That is a good method for the majority of my hunts but I plan on dipping my toes in the big woods of the ADX once it starts snowing.. if it goes as planned and I get on a track, wanna have the means to get back out if I go in deep

4 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

That is a good method for the majority of my hunts but I plan on dipping my toes in the big woods of the ADX once it starts snowing.. if it goes as planned and I get on a track, wanna have the means to get back out if I go in deep

If you are going to be in ADK i would recommend a GPS and don't count on your phone (service typically sucks and it will kill your battery). If there is snow on the ground you can always follow your tracks back, but the compass and topo map is a good backup, and you can even practice navigating/orienteering with it. 

• Like 1