Ladder Stand (for big guys)

Judoka95

I have been looking for a new ladder stand, I do not want a 2-person stand but the 1.5's look interesting. The issue is most of the ladder stands on Cabela's website have horrible reviews (quality, missing parts, no customer support). The Milennium 110 has great reviews, but I haven't actually had an opportunity to sit in one and they are the most expensive by a long shot. Any 200lbs+ guys have any insight?

4 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

I have been looking for a new ladder stand, I do not want a 2-person stand but the 1.5's look interesting. The issue is most of the ladder stands on Cabela's website have horrible reviews (quality, missing parts, no customer support). The Milennium 110 has great reviews, but I haven't actually had an opportunity to sit in one and they are the most expensive by a long shot. Any 200lbs+ guys have any insight?

@Chef had an issue with a stand, but I can't remember what brand. I know he has several ladder stands though. 

You want to talk about inflation impact - treestand costs are up big time. Since most come from China, the support is generally driven by the middle man company in between the retailer and factory.

1.5 stands like the Hawk lineup generally get good reviews, but they all make noise and you need to spend time to set them up and sound proof them. I've owned or sat in nearly every price range of ladder and they all suffer from that same malady. It's just the nature of those types of stands. Black electrical tape, vegetable oil, and some extra nuts & bolts can go a long way. You may need one or all of them to make the stand quiet.

• Like 2

I'm 6'2" and 250lbs.

I bought 2 Millennium L366 18ft Revolution Ladder Stands a couple years ago and they are by far the best made stands i have ever been in. Super solid and really quiet.

Great seat and a Blind that goes all the way around to conceal movement and keep the wind off.

I bought a few ameristep stands a couple years ago and they were my favorite. I have a hard time finding them now but they support my 260# ass for many years and killed deer for years out of them.

I am not a fan of the ones that have the nylon seats, I'd rather have the steel seat. I carry a seat pad attached to my hunting pack.

I haven't bought the 1.5 ones but always had enough room in a one man. I setup all my stands where the prime or most expected trail I can shoot sitting down. But I've had no issue with room or standing. I put three straps on each one. One at the brace, one on the foot platform and one up top. I also use pipe insulation over the shooting rail and wrap that with camo duct tape.

Love ladder stands, we have 10 setup on our property. Some are 15-18 ft and some are only 9ft depending on the location or setup.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

We have been using the Big Game 1.5 ladderstands. Very roomy and comfortable! Got one in the barn I bought last year still in the box. I think we figured out a spot, to put it up in the next couple weeks? But we do like those stands. I'm 6'1'' and over 200lbs. 

This is by far the best ladder stand ive found. Throw away the nylon seat and get a good therma seat.. full platform seat folds up and is steel bar instead of web seat..  squirrel proof nothing worse than getting to a stand to find web seat chew up or sun rotted..  never have that issue with this stand  just carry in and out your seat and wiĺl last years    

Downfall is directions are sketchy. Need to lay out all your bolts and make sure your using the proper one as they are close . 

Have 6 of these now and friend has 2.  Im  225lb plus weight of gear is not an issue. 

My oldest stand is now 6 years old . Newest is 2 months.. on sale now.Screenshot_20220823-155940_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e89ef13d50365158f7a2e3fe955399de.jpg

• Like 1

This is by far the best ladder stand ive found. Throw away the nylon seat and get a good therma seat.. full platform seat folds up and is steel bar instead of web seat..  squirrel proof nothing worse than getting to a stand to find web seat chew up or sun rotted..  never have that issue with this stand  just carry in and out your seat and wiĺl last years    
Downfall is directions are sketchy. Need to lay out all your bolts and make sure your using the proper one as they are close . 
Have 6 of these now and friend has 2.  Im  225lb plus weight of gear is not an issue. 
My oldest stand is now 6 years old . Newest is 2 months.. on sale now.Screenshot_20220823-155940_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e89ef13d50365158f7a2e3fe955399de.jpg
Same one I did a link for too. Lol.

Def agree on the seat. I carry one on my pack. Squirrel damage is also one of the reasons all of my stands have multiple straps and get changed every year. If they chew one and you don't notice it while hunting and in the dark I've got more than one holding it.

I love these, super comfy, wider and beefier beams and most importantly two points of contact with the tree and two straps ,for a solid hook up .  Although this pic is different then mine ,  mine have two serrated V ‘s that contact the tree and each straps to the tree .

my mesh seats have been in the woods for years zero issues , but I bought extras for down the road ,if I’m still hunting when they need replacement . Same as my patio furniture, been outside maybe 15 years ,good as day one .

I’ve got other large stands with just one point of contact , not a fan at all of that ,my little $50 Moog specials are more solid then those .

4D1FB777-E9AD-4F6D-96EC-607EE331C17B.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

This is by far my favorite stand, especially for archery.  It has a huge deck to stand on, so perfect for bow time, but very comfortable seat and sturdy construction.  Weight limit is 350#!!  And still under $200.    Plenty big enough for me and a lot of gear if needed.     I have 3 out there now, and three more to assemble real soon.  

I buy it from Home Depot and pick up in store.  If the box looks trashed I refuse it.  But I’ve never had an issue.   Much better than getting it by freight or UPS where they just drop it at the end of your driveway.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Game-18-5-ft-x-1-5-ft-Hunter-HD-Deer-Hunting-1-Person-Ladder-Tree-Stand-BGM-LS0550/312525515

• Like 1

This is by far my favorite stand, especially for archery.  It has a huge deck to stand on, so perfect for bow time, but very comfortable seat and sturdy construction.  Weight limit is 350#!!  And still under $200.    Plenty big enough for me and a lot of gear if needed.     I have 3 out there now, and three more to assemble real soon.  
I buy it from Home Depot and pick up in store.  If the box looks trashed I refuse it.  But I’ve never had an issue.   Much better than getting it by freight or UPS where they just drop it at the end of your driveway.  
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Game-18-5-ft-x-1-5-ft-Hunter-HD-Deer-Hunting-1-Person-Ladder-Tree-Stand-BGM-LS0550/312525515
Never knew home Depot sold treestands. Neat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Never knew home Depot sold treestands. Neat.

Ordered online.  They have a lot of hunting and fishing gear.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grampy said:

We have been using the Big Game 1.5 ladderstands. Very roomy and comfortable! Got one in the barn I bought last year still in the box. I think we figured out a spot, to put it up in the next couple weeks? But we do like those stands. I'm 6'1'' and over 200lbs. 

2nd this I have 3. Good price solid quiet. The girl cost extra. She helps butcher tho

20190830_144727.jpg

20190830_144805.jpg

• Like 4

I am ~280# and have had a Big Game Hunter HD 1.5 ladder stand for three seasons now. It is the most comfortable stand that I hunt from. I have replaced all of my stands with mesh seat stands. It really helps with being able to sit still for longer periods of time. 

I also have been hunting from a friend's Millennium L105. It is also comfortable, but not as stable as the Big Game Hunter stand. 

I like my Millennium L205 buddy stand. It's more stable than the L105 and it gives me room to set some gear next to me and be comfortable. But it is top heavy, plan on three people to put one up. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to lie, some of these recommendations really surprised me. I always thought the Big Game and Guide Gear stands were cheap and not well made. This of course was not based on firsthand use. I have had Summit, Ameristep, and a few Bakers. My last ladder stand was a Gorrila, and it is by far the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. It is a suspension style seat that crushes your hips for hours. I never even considered the less expensive brands.

Looks like I need to reevaluate my stand options.

I cashed in some of my hotel rewards points for gift cards, so I have a week or so to make my decision. 

Edited by Judoka95
  • Like 2

Yea I buy the cheap ladder stands for $100 with no sides and I’m very comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk