I gotta get the hell out of NYC - Can't even climb a tree in a NYC Park

PostedBoys Gallego

Just read that climbing a tree in NYC is illegal, labeled as disorderly behavior, and you can get fined. So I am supposed to drive up north 1.5 hours to public land in order to practice my new climber now. i live near a park that has hiking trails and is pretty big densely wooded, so I might be able to get away with it. However, there are cops everywhere at the moment due to recent crimes in the park. Of course... Gotta get out of here badly.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/rules/section-1-04

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

Which park? People climb rocks and trees all the time. Just annoyed at the fact that it is written as against the law. If it weren't for all the police presence going on right now here I wouldn't think twice about it. They have a command station setup right at the entrance of my park, so good thing I did a little research first. But still, it reminds me how free we really are.

In my opinion, a lot of laws are setup so that the government can use it at their discretion but they don't enforce it otherwise.  Most of the time it's because someone did something stupid and sued the city.  For example, j-walking.  How many people j-walk right in front of cops and probably don't even realize it's illegal and the cops never do anything.

I'm sure most of the cops don't even know climbing a tree is illegal.

• Like 1

True Elmo. Although here is one instance where a fine was given. Although looks like in the end the parks chief realized how crazy $1000. I figure if a cop sees me using a climber he is going to be thinking WTF unless he knows about climbers.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/10/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-new-york-parks-chief-to-seek-lower-climbing-fine.html

This was in 1999 though. People are alot more paranoid for suspicious activities these days.

I found a spot next to a highway that is blocked on all sides feels weird being out there but its blocked on all sides and someone has to be looking for it to find you.

but I would much rather do it when I have my family with me, its a pita to drive out there.

can you practice putting it up on state land with no issue out of season?

im working on putting mine up in short order.

took me twenty minutes to get it up, but that was because im still new to it.

figure I could do it in ten easy once I have all the stuff set up right

I remember many many years ago i read of a guy who went walking in stokes forest and was bitten by a raccoon. he sued NJ claiming he wasn't informed that being bitten could happen and the state was negligent. He won.

Don't  blame gov't for making it illegal to climb trees in the city when you have scum sucking lawyers waiting in the wings to sue the "state" that lawyers think of as an unlimited tit of money. Common sense says if you climb a tree and fall it's your fault but with jurys everywhere rewarding people for their stupidity you have to have something in the laws to protect from lawsuits.

All:

God save your majesty!

Cade:
I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat
and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery,
that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

Dick:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Cade:
Nay, that I mean to do.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78

Just read that climbing a tree in NYC is illegal, labeled as disorderly behavior, and you can get fined. So I am supposed to drive up north 1.5 hours to public land in order to practice my new climber now. i live near a park that has hiking trails and is pretty big densely wooded, so I might be able to get away with it. However, there are cops everywhere at the moment due to recent crimes in the park. Of course... Gotta get out of here badly.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/rules/section-1-04

I hear ya buddy...

I move to PA a few months ago.

In my opinion, a lot of laws are setup so that the government can use it at their discretion but they don't enforce it otherwise.  Most of the time it's because someone did something stupid and sued the city.  For example, j-walking.  How many people j-walk right in front of cops and probably don't even realize it's illegal and the cops never do anything.

I'm sure most of the cops don't even know climbing a tree is illegal.

I'm not even sure what J-walking is.  I remember, and it doesn't seem like it was that long ago, when they painted lines on our road!

Ok I hear you.  Never forget I went with a guy years ago with the old baker treestands when you hug the trees with your bare chest and arms.  We set up about 150 yds apart on opening archery and I listen to him struggle to get up about 8 ft only to slide back down to the bottom.This went on for about 1hr until I climbed down went over and coached him.  Never saw a deer that morning........