Webster, bow hunt program

pewlodar

The registration period ended Friday, just wondering if anyone else on the forum participates in the program.  I've particpated in the past and looking forward to this year.  Having a place to hunting right in town is great when I have only a couple hours to get out.

Did it first year. I have a great hunting spot 35 minutes from me and lots of time off so I prefer to hunt there. I have another spot near where I live I can hunt if I want a quickie .

Btw I grew up all around the Lake,Pellet,Whitting , Baker rd town hunting spots. I have friends who ,live in the heart of that and had hunted it for over 15 years before the town got the land.

Lets just say its not like it used to be.

• Like 1

I am registered this year. This is my 3rd year. I wasn't happy to see the  $10 fee this year but I know if I hunt there enough I will recoup the money in gas saved.I am hoping to spend more time on the town land this season but I do like Letchworth too.A friend of mine moved so I lost one hunting spot this year.There are many deer in Webster and in the town properties so we will see.

• Like 1

I had never heard of the program .

Oh been around idk 4 or 5 years. Town residents,and they want guys who can hunt mornings during the week.also guys who have a proven bow killing record.have to whack a doe first,lol. But no one checks so ya....

If you ever hunted the areas pre town hunt , you would not be a fan . But hey it's great if you need a spot ,just not so great if you had that spot to yourself.

Many of these hunters don't seem to know much about wind and how to approach stand sites or walk right in front of you blowing their scent to where you know the deer come from....

Irondequoit each hunter gets an area to himself , Webster last I knew was a free for all.

I'm for it, but it could use some fine tuning.

I agree it isn't perfect but it is close to home and I wouldn't be able to hunt Webster otherwise.I see plenty of deer on the town properties,some are much too tame for my liking.The deer seem used to seeing people but cautious nonetheless just as they are in my neighborhood.The last two seasons I have not been bothered by anyone.I don't mind reducing some of the deer numbers in the town so I will see.

I can imagine the hunting was pretty nice before the town got the property. With the town opening the 4th parcel this year that should spread eveyone out a little more.

The deer do seem pretty tame although they seem perplexed as to why you are on a trail. I havent been bother by anyone. $10 is a small price pay to hunt. I spent a lot more driving to state land to the south.

My biggest complaint is guys signing up and not hunting. It only happened once or twice, but with young kids it can be difficult find time to hunt.

I agree its a great program,and I hope you do well.i love that Webster is not afraid to use bow hunters !

The first year my buddy who's hunted the land for 14 years prior showed me a great spot, we marked the trail in not with tacks or flagging but things found in nature, so others would not be wise.

My first morning I turned on my headlamp and the woods lit up with glow tacks all over!

Looked like a landing strip at the airport......

I still have a spot near my house I bow hunt once in awhile,although I skipped last year .

Good luck. Larry

Ha, I know what you mean Larry I dislike the glow tacks on public property,Letchworth is full of them too. I also don't like when people leave the plastic marking strips tied to trees until it falls off eventually.There are numerous trails cut by the town so I don't mark any and I prefer hunting the afternoon so I  can see.I may try mornings this year I will have to see what is available.

• 1 month later...

Whiting Rd has some beautiful woods and I see a lot of deer in the thickets.Getting a clear shot can be frustrating as the town doesn't want tree trimming.I missed a doe already there this year but I am going back this weekend and looking for redemption.Sometimes It gets noisy there but it is what it is and it is only 10 minutes from home.

I've always liked the Whiting Rd property.Great looking spot.A friend of mine has bow hunted private property West of there for years and has taken some great bucks out of there.

Hum West of there is Pellet rd. I have 2 friends that live and own acres on that road.

It's getting crowded with the Webster town program , I took,the first deer in the first year of that program btw.

• Like 1

Must be people like to keep quiet about hunting in Webster. LOL....I asked about this a little ways back. Ultimately my wife and I may end up there to be near my daughter. Sooner than later if we ever hear grandkids being on the horizon!

If you do, check with the town parks and rec. dept about the bowhunting.It is only open to town residents.Very good chance of taking a doe on the town property and there are some nice bucks here too.Some people may not like it but you would have to decide for yourself.

• 3 years later...

I did not since the first year, the program is ongoing still I believe . You will need to be able to hunt M-F as well . I have a good friend that lives State rd / Shoe craft , you may be neighbors .

Let me ask my other friend who,owns acres right smack dab in the middle of one of the Webster now hunt area , about what's going on, I know it pretty much ruined all his hunting by his house .

I also know the guy at Parks and Rec that runs the program , I'll email him as well .

Edited by Larry302