Webster, bow hunt program

pewlodar

I'm off 5 mile just south of ridge. Like I said technically it's Penfield but Webster mailing and schools. The area I hunt in 8F is getting more and more pressure to the point of bow season really being the only viable season and the doe population dropping. I'm just looking for another spot to take the pressure off. Fill the freezer and maybe get a crack at a park buck. Main goal being meat though.

thanks for the help Larry.

58 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm off 5 mile just south of ridge. Like I said technically it's Penfield but Webster mailing and schools. The area I hunt in 8F is getting more and more pressure to the point of bow season really being the only viable season and the doe population dropping. I'm just looking for another spot to take the pressure off. Fill the freezer and maybe get a crack at a park buck. Main goal being meat though.

Yep - neighbors.  I am off 5 mile too, but closer to plank than ridge.  welcome

35 minutes ago, Belo said:

ha we're close for sure. I'm off rosebud. just south of friar tuck. if you live in watersong I'm egging your house.

Nope - Brookmere with all the retired folks.  My house backs to Watersong.  Some big houses on Watersong.  Your street is a nice area too.  No need to egg anything. lol

Larry is off 5 mile too, but on the wrong side of 104. Haha.

Edited by moog5050

Belo, if you call Webster Parks and Rec. they can answer your  questions . 872 7103 I believe . Mark Yaeger is the guy in charge of Parks and  Rec. Keep in mind the bow program does not run weekends , last I knew mornings M-F , to lesson the interaction with hikers, dog walkers and so on .

You can also save your eggs .

well the way it's going , I'd say I picked the correct side..... Build the wall !!!

well I'm of to get two hang ons and somewhere down there is a trail camera but I have no idea where.

Edited by Larry302

20 hours ago, Belo said:

Where do you hunt? I had an extremely frustrating hunting season in 8F as well. I live pretty close to you and we just don't have much public land close to us except for tiny little parcels. I was planning (and still hope) to lease land for next year but there is absolutely none in all of wayne or monroe county AT ALL. None of the lease sites have any. I'll have to start knocking on doors and just offering people cash it looks like.

I'm in walworth and the town does not allow hunting on the public land. I've emailed them recently and even offered to help put a program together, like fairport has. No interest yet, despite the fact it would even get the town a little money and be no skin off their back.

As for webster this claims you need to pay webster taxes, so they may or may not check on that.
https://issuu.com/websterparksandrecreation/docs/program_info

And you can forget a hunting program in penfield. They are so uptight they don't even allow radio control planes in rothfuss park.

EDIT: actually I may be wrong on penfield. I see some possible comments online that the thousand acre swamp may have bow hunting. I bet it has a lot of deer in there.  http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/newyork/places-preserves/central-thousand-acre-swamp.xml

Gonna shoot penfield parks rec an email to confirm.

Edited by Core

Program is still going strong but for Town of Webster residents only.  Mailing address and schools don't count.  

Program is 7 days a week morning and afternoon hunting times offered.  

Not sure how many deer were taken this year but usually take around 15 give or take. It is a good opportunity for hunting close to home.  

104 makes a nice wall and all hunting is on the better north side.

Thanks for the update , I only did it first year . 15 seems low for all that area . I know a handful of guys who used to take a fair number around Pellet, vosberg, whiting alone . They all complain the program ruined their hunting , to many guys stumbling around the woods .

its interesting I'd say the locals killed that many or more before the town program to reduce numbers .....

So of course I just got this years harvest numbers.  

11 deer at Whiting Rd

8 deer at Gosnell

1 deer at Four Mile Creek

0 at Finn 

12 of the DMAPs from DEC where filled.

Based on the amount of non-hunting users in the parks during allowed hunting times those numbers aren't too bad. IMO.  

3 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Belo, if you call Webster Parks and Rec. they can answer your  questions . 872 7103 I believe . Mark Yaeger is the guy in charge of Parks and  Rec. Keep in mind the bow program does not run weekends , last I knew mornings M-F , to lesson the interaction with hikers, dog walkers and so on .

You can also save your eggs .

well the way it's going , I'd say I picked the correct side..... Build the wall !!!

well I'm of to get two hang ons and somewhere down there is a trail camera but I have no idea where.

Larry, you lost me on those last 3 sentences.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You could also ask Bauman for permission.  I heard he pretty much lets anyone hunt.  Not sure how crowded his land it though.

what's funny is there was a nice 8 pointer in my back yard a few days, and early on 2 smaller bucks and a bunch of doe. One morning on why to hunt there was a decent 8 dead on 5mile near ridge. It's funny where these things can live.

3 hours ago, Core said:

Where do you hunt? I had an extremely frustrating hunting season in 8F as well. I live pretty close to you and we just don't have much public land close to us except for tiny little parcels. I was planning (and still hope) to lease land for next year but there is absolutely none in all of wayne or monroe county AT ALL. None of the lease sites have any. I'll have to start knocking on doors and just offering people cash it looks like.

I'm in walworth and the town does not allow hunting on the public land. I've emailed them recently and even offered to help put a program together, like fairport has. No interest yet, despite the fact it would even get the town a little money and be no skin off their back.

As for webster this claims you need to pay webster taxes, so they may or may not check on that.
https://issuu.com/websterparksandrecreation/docs/program_info

And you can forget a hunting program in penfield. They are so uptight they don't even allow radio control planes in rothfuss park.

EDIT: actually I may be wrong on penfield. I see some possible comments online that the thousand acre swamp may have bow hunting. I bet it has a lot of deer in there.  http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/newyork/places-preserves/central-thousand-acre-swamp.xml

Gonna shoot penfield parks rec an email to confirm.

I hunt in Ontario. Don't get me wrong, the hunting is still way above average. my father shot a real nice 10 and multiple opportunities at other bucks. I passed small bucks as well and just didn't have lady luck during bow. The issue was with gun season. I've never heard the pressure from all around like I did this year. More and more hunters are in there and the bucks disappeared from cams and only doe showed up at night. Has me thinking I need another spot to hunt. I have great land in 7J too, but it's a 90 minute drive hard to get out for a weekend to stay with grandma when I have a young family.

2 hours ago, pewlodar said:

Program is still going strong but for Town of Webster residents only.  Mailing address and schools don't count.  

I understand that, my point was that I could show my drivers license and maybe get in if it was worth it. seems like those numbers are low and I wonder if it is.

Ok thanks. I gave up on it half way through  the first year . Went back to the town barn , less guys more deer. The town hunt really changed things around Pellet / Whitting roads for the land owners / hunters I know in the area , their take dropped, guys all over, trespassing on their land and so on.

Irondequote put hunters in an area there was none. Webster put them where guys already were  on adjacent land . Nice opportunity for others to hunt town land I agree , not so nice for the adjacent land owners/ hunters I know .

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

does anyone know if you can hunt thousand acre swamp or empire park?

Empire Park is Town of Webster.  They thought about adding it to the Bow Hunting Program but did not add it yet, so no hunting there that I know of. 

Core posted info on bow hunting 1000 Acre Swamp. 

25 minutes ago, Belo said:

does anyone know if you can hunt thousand acre swamp or empire park?

I know someone whose house backs up to 1000 acres.  people definitely hunt it.  Not sure what the rules are but he says its way overcrowded.  That said, he has found some big sheds in there.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I know someone whose house backs up to 1000 acres.  people definitely hunt it.  Not sure what the rules are but he says its way overcrowded.  That said, he has found some big sheds in there.

I guess I'll follow up and call the number I was given today but that doesn't surprise me. I bet it gets absolutely hammered if it is legal, given it's in an area not near any other easily accessed public land, and it looks like excellent deer habitat on google maps.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in the vosburg,baker rd area and my folks still live there. Since  the town acquired the Gosnell properties,the hunting has declined terribly.Still a few nice deer around but the big ones are mostly nocturnal. My father and i had permission from the Gosnells to hunt that land. I did alot of filming,trail cams,shed hunting etc, and just don't see the caliber of deer that we used to. I currently now live on the border of Ontario/Williamson and find myself hunting around home more often than making the treck back to Webster. As good of deer and WAY fewer people,especially during archery. I do still go back to Webster though as there are still some nice bucks roaming the lake/pellet/whiting area.

• 5 months later...