What crossbow are you shooting this year?

Skillet

Anyone got a new toy?

Not a ton of options out there that are NY legal.

I'll be taking the Excalibur Phoenix out again. Wide, noisy, and slow. Same as I like my women!

It's a good bow, that has proven itself many times.

The one on the right is my Phoenix. The other is a Matrix 310.

I shoot Black eagle Executioners with 150gr 3 blade Boltcutters. 

What's your setup this year?

Not looking for a debate on crossbows. If you don't like them, don't shoot them.

IMG_20220824_195617864.jpg

• Like 2

I haven’t shot mine since 2019, but I have Excalibur Vortex. 2010 model I believe. Also very loud and slow haha. But it works great. I always used Excalibur Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutters. My dad uses same but Ibex. We use Burt coyote lumenoks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BizCT said:

I haven’t shot mine since 2019, but I have Excalibur Vortex. 2010 model I believe. Also very loud and slow haha. But it works great. I always used Excalibur Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutters. My dad uses same but Ibex. We use Burt coyote lumenoks too

Did you get bored with it? Switch to compound?

I remember you were pretty into crossbows.

I will use my 300 FPS Barnett Recruit and my Centerpoint Sniper 370, depending on what blind I am hunting.   The sniper is considerably faster, but is very front-heavy and needs a good rest.  The Recruit handles as easily as my my Ruger 10/22 carbine and can easily be shot offhand.    

Hopefully, I will punch my archery/ML buck tag up in the Northern zone in October with my ML, and I’ll be after antlerless deer only with my 3rd and 4th dmp tags (available after November 1).  

45E5028D-893C-4093-9AB6-A0A244CE1DA8.thumb.jpeg.bab6a06dd0d8572c3111c7d3a5ccd725.jpeg

It would be nice to kill a buck with the Sniper though.  The Recruit worked very well on the 5 or 6 that I killed with it, including the largest bodied antlered buck that I ever measured (43” chest girth).  

I imagine that the Sniper will be the one that I pick for most hunts this year for that reason, and because the original 2014 string is getting pretty stretched on the Recruit.  Plus, almost all of my blinds have real nice rests.  Also, I just picked up some shooting sticks which should work well with the Sniper.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

Parker Thunder hawk with muzzy fixed 100g broadheads, 20" red-hot bolts, lighted capture nocks. Best part of this rig is that the scope was made just for this xbow. It has 4 lines each set for 20,30,40,50 yards. Parker is no longer in business which is a shame as I really like this rig.
Already tested for the season.

Shot my best buck with it, as well as a couple other deer and a yote. 0efafd97193d9ff15d7349d6823fbc31.jpg61ea63796b450525ab7d3e0f12cc72ed.jpgc798c1ba629cd8003eea3f78c7123c47.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Did you get bored with it? Switch to compound?
I remember you were pretty into crossbows.

I used an accubow with separated shoulder to be able to draw the Mathews HTX at 46lbs. Then 56lbs, but I keep it at 52lbs now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Sniper 370 but as stated above , very front heavy

I am looking forward trying it with the shooting sticks.  I have a couple of guns that are also front-heavy and my hope is that it will work well on those also.  I will probably break out the Sniper this weekend and give it a try on that first.

I finished sighting in the two front-heavy guns left weekend (Marlin 512 and T/C Omega.  My next shot with either of those might be from those shooting sticks at a doe, two weeks from Saturday.  

Just now, wolc123 said:

I am looking forward trying it with the shooting sticks.  I have a couple of guns that are also front-heavy and my hope is that it will work well on those also.  I will probably break out the Sniper this weekend and give it a try on that first.

I finished sighting in the two front-heavy guns left weekend (Marlin 512 and T/C Omega.  My next shot with either of those might be from those shooting sticks at a doe, two weeks from Saturday.  

I’ve used sticks, it’s better but man this thing still feels very unbalanced 

Looks like she’s ready for a little warm weather hunting in that outfit.  Might be for some September antlerless deer hunting.

I might try a little of that myself this year, with a crossbow.  I have one stand that is 405 feet from the nearest building owned by others.  That puts it out of play for a gun, per NY setback rules, but right in the sweet spot for the crossbow (250 ft setback required).  

1 hour ago, Belo said:

spacer.png

Thanks for posting the reminder.  That will also save me some ammo.  

Edited by wolc123

I have a Ravin R10 ready to rock. Mostly so I can hunt with it should I have back issues on no notice. And yes, not in NY, but for Ohio and/or Missouri where they don't have lame laws.

I will say I held the new KI one that is short this weekend in Ohio. Forget the model, but around $1,100 or so. I wish the frame wasn't shiny, but overall, I really liked that thing. It feels night and day different from my R10 which is full frame.

I have to admit though, Xbows are pretty annoying to carry around and use in a stand. They feel alot more cumbersome than a bow. I prefer the bow significantly, for me.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, phade said:

I have a Ravin R10 ready to rock. Mostly so I can hunt with it should I have back issues on no notice. And yes, not in NY, but for Ohio and/or Missouri where they don't have lame laws.

I will say I held the new KI one that is short this weekend in Ohio. Forget the model, but around $1,100 or so. I wish the frame wasn't shiny, but overall, I really liked that thing. It feels night and day different from my R10 which is full frame.

I have to admit though, Xbows are pretty annoying to carry around and use in a stand. They feel alot more cumbersome than a bow. I prefer the bow significantly, for me.

and one tip someone once gave me. Make sure the limbs can fire out and not hit a tree. With a compound or gun its nice to sit behind a tree and shoot around it. But with an xbow if you do that you may have an xbow limb blow up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

I sold my Scorpyd DS so the only one left is an old CamX Chaos. Still kills things.

I got a Scorpyd 65 from a member here, (thanks Billdogg) but find it hard to draw. I need to order the cocking sled with a longer pull rope. That said, I may just use the old tried and true Sniper 370. Or resight in the Barnett Raptor with new scope I had laying around. Got a bunch of Victory bolts with lighted nocks. Tipped with 100g, 10 Point, two blade mechanical heads. This combo seems to work well for me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:52 PM, wolc123 said:

I will use my 300 FPS Barnett Recruit and my Centerpoint Sniper 370, depending on what blind I am hunting.   The Recruit handles as easily as my my Ruger 10/22 carbine and can easily be shot offhand.    

I have a Recruit also, love it for the tree stand and how light and narrow it is.  Super accurate for the distance I shoot in the woods max 20-30 yards.  I have an Excalibur Matrix too.  Love that one as it's light weight and balances well.  Super accurate and rock solid and reliable. It's wider, but I don't use it in tight spaces.  Can also unload this one without shooting it.

Good luck to everyone during Xbow season.

• Like 2

I have a Carbon Express X Force Advantax that I picked up a few years back. It may not be the fastest rig on the market, but it's plenty fast and stupid accurate. I can't target shoot more than one bolt at a time because I'll ruin them. When I initially got it, there was an issue with burring along the top of the rail. It caused the string to pop on my second shot. The company was great about fixing the issue, and sent me a dozen bolts with lighted nocks for my trouble. I use those with NAP 2 blade mechanicals. 

xbow.PNG

• Like 2