First hunting bow

AaronBlaine

with that price range you have TONS of options  hoyt Mathews bowtech are major manufacturers and there are more. just a matter of what you are confortable spending and confortable shooting. Never buy with out trying it out first. try a few and you will see what you like better. My first bow I had a Bowtech Tomkat. great little thing pretty fast and quite. easy to use and adjust. that's the only bow that I have had experience with

Hey Aaron,Im from Huntington also and I just picked up a new bow myself.My 25 year old Hoyt is officially retired. I went to Island wide archery in Hicksville and picked up a Parker Eagle. Solid Bow,Good reviews on line and he's got a decent Bow package I.E. Bow,set up,Arrows and broadheads for about $850. PM me if I can be of any help, but hurry Oct 1st is coming fast.

• Like 1

With the season in 20 days. Kinda late to get a brand new set up, dialed in, and proficient with it. Have you been shooting a bow prior to now? Bow hunting is about muscle memory and consistency which only comes over time with proficiency. Id be a little hesitant to go out into the woods and shoot at an animal without a solid 500 to 1000 shots under your belt. Congrats on passing your test.

• Like 3

I think you are late...  Takes a long time to get good with a bow.  So many to choose from...  Just don't be concerned with speed or heavy draw weight.  Get a bow you can hold back comfortably for at least 2 min, feels good in your hand and is easy to draw.  A good archery store should be able to get your draw length and set you up in that price range or a little more.  (Test shoot a few bows before buying VIP!)  Try not to take long shots when you first start and try to shoot them broadside or facing away from you(Quartering away), the target area is much better then facing you with a bow(Quartering to).  Practice in the tree stand shooting and bend at the leg and waist to keep proper form and alignment.  ALWAYS have your self attached to the safety harness, do not compromise on safety with the stand!  Good luck and start practicing now!!!  Remember to only take shots you can kill your prey with, being ethical to your prey they deserve that much...  EX: No shots beyond your kill zone limit... Try to keep your shots under 30 yards...  Good luck again and I hope you get a MONSTER! 

• Like 1

Congrats. I picked up a used bow in the middle of October of last year, and started shooting it. I didn't think I would be ready to shoot a deer that season, but after shooting about 200-300 arrows, I felt confident enough to try to take a deer within 20 yards.

We saw deer on the ground, but didn't have the opportunity to get close enough for a shot. Depending on how good of a shot you are, you may be good to go come opening day.

You have plenty time. IF YOU PRACTICE!  Find a bow that fits YOU and is comfortable for YOU.  Don't worry about brand or what others shoot, bows are way better then the person shooting them.

I agree!  Bought my first bow about now, 8 years ago.  Practiced every chance I got.  A month later on Columbus Day I shot a turkey from a ground blind.

My advise, would be to start out at a low poundage that is easy to draw until you get your archery muscles loosened up.  My first bow was a Mission X3.  Mission bows are excellent bows that are made by Mathews and are geared for first time archers like yourself

Have fun and congrats on the 100!

As a former L.I. resident I can also reccomend island wide, they have been there a long time, Parker bows are top notch. Go there and try out a few models and ( like a shoe ) see what fits best.Start out slow with the practice if this is new to you, You do not want to tear or pull something out just before bow season. As said above you have 3 months on L.I. Good luck hunting and enjoy.

I think I agree that of all the features that I look for in a bow, speed is somewhere down in the bottom of the list. But then I am an up-close-and-personal kind of a bowhunter. So I really don't care how fast the arrow goes through the deer as long as it does go through it.