Hunting Westchester with a gun

Let me start by saying, I am reluctant to ask this. I have always been the one to be slightly bothered by people asking questions where all they have to do is read the book for the answers. But man, this one has me at a standstill. I had made multiple phone calls, to the local PD, a local who teaches hunters Ed course, and I also spoke with DEC and county police.... Let me try. 

I just moved to Westchester, from Orange...unfortunately. Plenty of space here, safety zones are not even a question. Can I hunt with a firearm?? 

I know based on the DEC book, I can not hunt big game with a firearm. Small game? Trapping? Turkey? Predator? Waterfowl??

Now, if I am correct, I can. That leads me to my next question, is firearm discharge banned or prohibited in Westchester by county police? Local police agencies??

If not, I can recreationally shoot in my yard, as well as do all of the above hunting.

If I can't, I can't legally dispatch an animal from my traps with a firearm? 

Man, I apologize for asking this. Maybe somebody can provide some insight, maybe even some contacts to reach out to, links to read, something!

I’ve never shot a gun in 3S Westchester and never would. I guess you may be able to but as crappy mentioned you should get something in writing ahead of time.

I think @Marion does it. Maybe he can chime in about his experience with the police

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What kind of answers did you get from all the local authorities you called?  Seems to me they should've answered your questions.

I was asked to hunt some coyote for a resident in rockland county whose family dog was killed years ago. The property was on the top of a mountain but clearly in a residential area. I had plenty of room to fire a shotgun according to the setback laws of the state but I called all the local authorities I could Before hunting there.

I got answers like, "I don't know but it doesn't sound like a good idea."
"No there is a town ordinance. Me-can I see it? I can't find it but it exists"
"Yes you can but be prepared to have police show up since neighbors will call 911"

I ended up wasting some time sitting out there with my bow to no success.

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

I was asked to hunt some coyote for a resident in rockland county whose family dog was killed years ago. The property was on the top of a mountain but clearly in a residential area. I had plenty of room to fire a shotgun according to the setback laws of the state but I called all the local authorities I could Before hunting there.

I got answers like, "I don't know but it doesn't sound like a good idea."
"No there is a town ordinance. Me-can I see it? I can't find it but it exists"
"Yes you can but be prepared to have police show up since neighbors will call 911"

I ended up wasting some time sitting out there with my bow to no success.

exactly the same responses I have gotten. I can't find town ordinances for the life of me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BizCT said:

I’ve never shot a gun in 3S Westchester and never would. I guess you may be able to but as crappy mentioned you should get something in writing ahead of time.

I think @Marion does it. Maybe he can chime in about his experience with the police

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would love to hear an opinion from him! As far as getting something In writing..I'd have to say it may be impossible.:D

• Like 1

Would love to hear an opinion from him! As far as getting something In writing..I'd have to say it may be impossible.
How big is the property? And which part of Westchester. Northern/Southern would suffice if you don't want to give out too much info

8 hours ago, Marion said:
14 hours ago, Ryan3m said:
Would love to hear an opinion from him! As far as getting something In writing..I'd have to say it may be impossible.emoji3.png

How big is the property? And which part of Westchester. Northern/Southern would suffice if you don't want to give out too much info

65ish acres in northern westchester. Less than half a mile from the county line. 

• Like 1

65ish acres in northern westchester. Less than half a mile from the county line. 
I know exactly where you're talking about. Horse country. Should be able to produce easily the 500 ft setback. But you're going to be limited to shooting birdshot mostly. No singular projectile shooting. So that means no rifle, pistol, etc. But also check with the town hall. They may have more info for you. Also doesn't hurt to get to know your local town pd and let them know when you plan to shoot so they are aware

55 minutes ago, Marion said:
12 hours ago, Ryan3m said:

I know exactly where you're talking about. Horse country. Should be able to produce easily the 500 ft setback. But you're going to be limited to shooting birdshot mostly. No singular projectile shooting. So that means no rifle, pistol, etc. But also check with the town hall. They may have more info for you. Also doesn't hurt to get to know your local town pd and let them know when you plan to shoot so they are aware

Exactly, and thank you, "no singular projectile shooting" is great information to hear. I wonder if that's a town ordinance, county ordinance, or exactly where that originates. 

Still feels to me as a grey area, limiting the dispatch of trapped animals to the use of birdshot is just odd. I will have to stop into the town hall, the phone calls get you nowhere. Maybe stopping in person may be more successful. 

Thank you for your input. 

No problem. Hopefully someone there may be able to better assist you. It's definitely something you'll want to get direct word from the town on prior to getting a visit especially in Westchester. Gotta make sure you got all your ducks in a row for the eventual visit