Live From the Stand / Woods 2013!

HuntingNY

No luck here. Swirling winds kinda screwed me up. Didnt get busted just didnt see any. Could hear a few walking around in the dark. Broke out the rattle bag...figured why not. And again something hit my mock scrape. That might be my next stand to hunt near the scrape.

Well getting all dressed up in front of my lease this evening. Had a "concerned" resident ask me if I was hunting in those woods and told me there were houses around me and people get concerned. 5 yes ago I would have told the dude to take a hike. But I took the high rd. Explained to him that I lease the land to hunt and follow all the nys regulations when it came to hunting. Then added if there is any consolation we bow hint this property only. He wished me luck and drove away. Then I made the 10 minute walk all the way in packing my climber. Get to the tree I want and realize because the guy interupted me I forgot to put on my safety harness. Back to the truck I went.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Nothing yet again. I puked my cam from the stand. Shoukd have sat there this AM... ol' tuning fork showed up this AM during light time hours. Would love to shoot him. Would be a large 8 but his right side comes straight up and splits into a y shake almost at the base.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Out first thing this morning...only an hour(legal time) sit....I walked into the wind and to a stand I had not checked yet..Yesterday I'd hand raked another 3 quarter mile of trail and ended with raking up to this one and making a fake scrape.....I had to pass an apple tree on the way in ...one that just started dropping and is just loaded...sure enough out of the dark I hear a huff and a retreating deer then the smell hits...There is no mistaking the smell of a rank buck...GREAT! :fie: ...Just what I didn't want to do...Well I got to the stand with out any more mishap waited a bit and did a blind grunt and a little tickling..then waited...the sun rose and I could see clearly...the stand sits in a slashing between a bedding area of thick scrub brush and golden rod and a clover /turnip plot on the other side with apples

I refreshed the scrape..which had been hit and put out some doe estrus....actually hoping the wind would change up a bit...I could see clearly a half hour before legal shooting and then sat for an hour  during legal time....nothing came out of any surrounding ag fields to bed...and no sign of deer activity in the bedding field...I heard the boys bark and that is always a good indicator that they were either hearing or had seen deer movement near the house...Oh well...nothing ventured nothing gained...lol

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Great morning, I saw 3 bucks,  1 2.5 year old.... my buddy saw 4 bucks and 5 does.  Trail cams show dramatic increase in activity and some very nice bucks never seen before!   Rubs and scraping activity starting to pick up as well.

I pulled cams behind my house last night. I don't hunt there much because it's only 5 acres with some decent neighboring pressure. Mostly doe and a few scrub bucks most of the summer and fall. Starting friday I had 3 new bucks in the area. 2 of them shooters, including a bruiser... who is probably nocturnal :(. The activity is getting good.

PICT0350_zpsfa819774.jpg

PICT0352_zps6cba3f6b.jpgPICT0355_zpse73ea764.jpg

this guy i think has an injury. real weird right side

PICT0347_zps8f143eaf.jpg

PICT0345_zpsd02eb672.jpg

PICT0318_zps27e3baf8.jpg

• Like 1

Well, walking to the stand and kicked a deer. Went down into the swamp. Sitting in the stand an hour and heard what I think is the same deer working its way out of the swamp. Looking, looking, huge body moving through the brush. Grab the bow and get ready, only 35 yards. She came out downwind and blew me in. Pi$$ed. 5 minutes later I hear another blow. Up wind on the ridge. See her bound and stop. Then I hear another in the swamp blow 5 times in a row. Then the other blows again. This continued for ten minutes. Get real pi$$ed. They walk away, still up wind, and are blowing for the next 100 yards. WTF! Pretty much ruined the rest of the hunt. At least they are moving. 

Well, walking to the stand and kicked a deer. Went down into the swamp. Sitting in the stand an hour and heard what I think is the same deer working its way out of the swamp. Looking, looking, huge body moving through the brush. Grab the bow and get ready, only 35 yards. She came out downwind and blew me in. Pi$$ed. 5 minutes later I hear another blow. Up wind on the ridge. See her bound and stop. Then I hear another in the swamp blow 5 times in a row. Then the other blows again. This continued for ten minutes. Get real pi$$ed. They walk away, still up wind, and are blowing for the next 100 yards. WTF! Pretty much ruined the rest of the hunt. At least they are moving.

I feel your pain! Been happening a bunch around here. Deer blowing at me being upwind and im not moving at all.

Haha, I was thinking about your posts while it was happening. I don't get what they picked up on. But something had them freaked out. I think the first deer that blew at me kind of rattled the nerves for them. They were literally 100 yards up wind by the end and would randomly blow

Your entry trail?

They were nowhere near my entry trail. I came in on a straight line to the stand from the highline. two deer was at least 50 yards to either side of it. The first was 35 to the side. And I used a drag.

ladies sometimes dont like new ladies on the block.