Live From the Stand / Woods 2013!

HuntingNY

It's official..The hunting Gods/Ma nature have had it in for me since bow season...I have been resting the knee but went out for boundary walk with the gun and bino's this morning...supper highways in too places...fresh tracks going up and down....got back at noon and decided to feed chickens and hit the other property...stalked up on a spike and watched him a while then backed out and went down to the steam stand in middle of hill...climbed up and sat for a few glassing a bedding area on the crest of a deep drop below me...out come 4 doe...no range finder but I had estimated 75 yrds...the biggest stepped into and opening before stream crossing and stopped the gun resting on rail I shoot...deer everywhere...wait awhile and watch more deer moving through...get down snow kicked up a 1ft behind where she stood...WTH...

After the first low miss on the 12pt I went out and shot a few rounds...2in high and I was pulling 1-3 in to the rt...still would be in kill area...bead sights...disgusted I head back up hill very slow......go to blind to shut windows and standing on second rung from top see movement over the porch railing...figure its the spike...no a nice 6pt...he's feeding my way..I stood on that rung for10minutes...everything hurts now...but 85yrds out he turns broad side to go down on the neighbors,,,so I lean against side of blind and rest gun on railing...I aim a bit higher...bam...he kicks and runs when I see the spike running too....down on neighbors and they stop in a thick briar/rose patch..Finally..so I'm glassing them when the spike bolts down hill and the 6pt follows...but the spike dropped over the saddle and I'm watching for the 6...nothing..call neighbor..by the way a 10 was taken off his place...and go to where I last saw them...found the tracks and tracked back...figured if I hit him that would give me the blood story.....No blood track back to where I shot at him and there is the dirt and snow kicked up..in a straight line between his hoof prints...disgusted I call neighbor and head home walk past a big stump next to trail pace off 80yrds and aim for the middle of stump...hit dead on...

So it's official...ma nature...hunting Gods what ever!..ever since I pasted that 8pt in archery ...I could drive a truck through a herd of deer...and not hit one!!!!

Man , tough season ! Keep at it girl, it'll happen !

Went to the new side of the road. sat where I had a stand about 8 years ago on the adjoining 50 acres. Thick new hardwoods with a spring running down a brushy crease on the hillside, and a pine knob to the west. It's a beauty of  spot that i can get to easily now that i have permission to hunt 100 acres next to it. I had 5 doe come in. 3 after i hit the grunt call the first time. 2 the next time i hit it about an hour later. Saw yet another huge rub. Got a good feeling!

• Like 1

Starting to feel a little disappointed in our main hunting area... this is the second time I've gone in with fresh snow and haven't found a single track, new or old, above the thick brush down near houses/road (where I can not hunt legally). Dad and I still hunted and scouted the snow all day over the 60-70 acres I have access to and not a track. Lots of coyote tracks. I don't know if they are connected or not, but I don't think the property holds much food for the deer right now and historically they don't bed on the property very often. The oaks on this property didn't drop any mast this year for whatever reason and there isn't much browse except beech brush. No turkey tracks since the snow fell either so they haven't been feeding through either. Saw one squirrel.

It was a nice day and I still enjoyed the woods, but this is getting tough. Not sure what to do...

Edited by Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

We all go through this....some of us more often then others, but trust me we all do; trust me. I have property in Alleghany County - Wellsville area...

I would say the lack of tracks is due mainly to one thing. The Deer have started to huddle up together. My buddy was hunting Greenwood/Steuben County Saturday, he kicked up 11 Deer in a single group. I have heard similar stories as well. Also, If you believe in the moon phase for the rut this year was very late. I believe in the moon phase 100%, if this is true that would put breeding phase on target for right about now. If bucks are with doe, they sometimes won't cover 100 yards in 24 hour period. Keep at it, don't get discouraged, sooner or later they will make a mistake.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Edited by Taylormike

Starting to feel a little disappointed in our main hunting area...

Keep at it, fletch saw does munchin browse today in a mix of hardwoods and pines. Several guys harvested does tonight, winter has got them on their feet, so they are covering more ground....You will score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jennifer,

We all go through this....some of us more often then others, but trust me we all do; trust me. I have property in Alleghany County - Wellsville area...

I would say the lack of tracks is due mainly to one thing. The Deer have started to huddle up together. My buddy was hunting Greenwood/Steuben County Saturday, he kicked up 11 Deer in a single group. I have heard similar stories as well. Also, If you believe in the moon phase for the rut this year was very late. I believe in the moon phase 100%, if this is true that would put breeding phase on target for right about now. If bucks are with doe, they sometimes won't cover 100 yards in 24 hour period. Keep at it, don't get discouraged, sooner or later they will make a mistake.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks! I am keeping at it. Just tough when you don't see a single track for days! I don't hunt too far from you, maybe 30 min or so? In Alleghany County too. Right along 417 where it dips very close to the PA border.

In my yard, which isn't too far west from there, they are 'yarding up' already into big groups (10+). I'm not sure if it means anything. The ones behind me are staying very close to the houses and grazing the grass at night. I see them nearly every night after dark when I go close my chickens up.

It's official..The hunting Gods/Ma  nature have had it in for me since bow season...I have been resting the knee but went out for boundary walk with the gun and bino's this morning...supper highways in too places...fresh tracks going up and down....got back at noon and decided to feed chickens and hit the other property...stalked up on a spike and watched him a while then backed out and went down to the steam stand in middle of hill...climbed up and sat for a few glassing a bedding area on the crest of a deep drop below me...out come 4 doe...no range finder but I had estimated 75 yrds...the biggest stepped into and opening before stream crossing and stopped the gun resting on rail I shoot...deer everywhere...wait awhile and watch more deer moving through...get down snow kicked up a 1ft behind where she stood...WTH...

After the first low miss on the 12pt I went out and shot a few rounds...2in high and I was pulling 1-3 in to the rt...still would be in kill area...bead sights...disgusted I head back up hill very slow......go to blind to shut windows and standing on second rung from top see movement over the porch railing...figure its the spike...no a nice 6pt...he's feeding my way..I stood on that rung for10minutes...everything hurts now...but 85yrds out he turns broad side to  go down on the neighbors,,,so I lean against side of blind and rest gun on railing...I aim a bit higher...bam...he kicks and runs when I see the spike running too....down on neighbors and they stop in a thick briar/rose patch..Finally..so I'm glassing them when the spike bolts down hill and the 6pt follows...but the spike dropped over the saddle and I'm watching for the 6...nothing..call neighbor..by the way a 10 was taken off his place...and go to where I last saw them...found the tracks and tracked back...figured if I hit him that would give me the blood story.....No blood track back to where I shot at him and there is the dirt and snow kicked up..in a straight line between his hoof prints...disgusted I call neighbor and head home walk past a big stump next to trail pace off 80yrds and aim for the middle of stump...hit dead on...

So it's official...ma nature...hunting Gods what ever!..ever since I pasted that 8pt in archery ...I could drive a truck through a herd of deer...and not hit one!!!!

Looks like someone else is having one hell of a season! I'll add one, the flu hit me like a ton of bricks coming in, Sunday night. Going out tonight though, come hell or high water, LOL.

Morning sit...had a yearling doe come in 7:17am and hang around had several shot ops. as close as 5yrds...just too small...then had a spiker walk in  7:44 from behind me same trail doe was originally on 10yrds to my left....pass...at 8am the running doe made laps under and around the stand then disappeared...she's freakin funny...like a grey hound on a rabbit...hahaha...now warming to get ready to turkey day shop..hope for a quick hunt tonight...if I run...