45-70 gov

G-Man

I used a 45-70 last year, Marlin 1895 guide gun with the 325 gr hornady flex tip bullets handloaded. Produced solid results on one deer at close range. I loaded the 325 gr with 45.8 gr of IMR 4198. If you need reloading info for the 250 gr copper solids let me know i have the Hornady reloading manual. One question why the solid copper 250 gr vs the 325 conventionals? added velocity?

Per my manual, I load 55 gr. of 3031 for a 350 grain hornady RN. This is a load only for modern single shots. The Speer manual lists three diff.   tables, one for traditional (older) weapons, one for modern lever, and a separate table for Ruger #1 and Browning single shots, due to their heavier actions. I have only used mine for bear so far (4/4, single shots). I always intend to use it for deer hunting, but the darn thing is so long it is a bit clumsy.

I was given 2 full 50 round boxes of the flex tip in 250 grain. I would like the infor for the 250 grain solid if you havit. I use the same gun 1895guide gun and have taken numerose deer and a big bear with it. My book doesn't have anything for 250 as. bullets. Thanks!

What DaveBoone said.....

I have six relaoding manuals and none list 45-70 loads for bullets lighter than 300 grains.

I'm sure the people from Hornaday can help you out...

Although I have never owned a 45-70, that cartridge rates WAY up on my "cool" list..

A friend of mine has one in a Remington Rolling Block complete with a tang mounted peep sight. It's the only one I have ever shot... Nice rifle...

Perhaps I watched too many Cavalry Westerns when the troops were armed with 1873 Springfield carbines.

• Like 1

A 250 grain at 2400 sure ain't no SISSY load..

That's approaching .35 Whelen stats, and the .35 Whelen ain't no pussycat...<<grin>>...

My 9.3 x 62 pushes a 250 grain Barnes X at 2500 FPS, and the 9.3 is considered adequate for cape buffalo in much of Africa.

i truly believe a 45-70 can take any game in the world at 200yards and in... was designed to penetrate 4 in of solid oak and kill soilder on otherside at 600 yrds in volly fire. shorter range rifle balistically but one of the best brush/penetrating rounds for use in thick cover.. heck they killed buffalo with it in the 1800's why not a cape buffalo.. i've never had to track a deer with it yet. 250 grain were free and i shoot 5-6 boxes a sitting while plinking so it will be my plinking round....lol