Is this where hunting is headed?

Four Seasons

That is roughly $750/month (for 12 months, not actually hunting months)

For that based on current super high mortgage rates you can buy some land for $100,000 at that price. 

Once my kids graduate college I plan on buying some land and subscribing to the food plot page and learning from all you pros... until then its public land for me baby!

hunt.PNG

2 minutes ago, DDT said:

$18 per acre. Seems reasonable to me. 8 people go in on it and form a hunting club. Get a several year lease  agreement. Alot cheaper than taxes to own.

I thought the same thing….6 guys.

You advertised roughly 70 acres for $1400 around here, you’d have to change your phone number for all the calls 24/7.

I hunted 80 acres that went to lease and that was $5000 in 2010. I have no idea now, and same guys are still there. And that just deer, no turkey or year round.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I thought the same thing….6 guys.

You advertised roughly 70 acres for $1400 around here, you’d have to change your phone number for all the calls 24/7.

I hunted 80 acres that went to lease and that was $5000 in 2010. I have no idea now, and same guys are still there. And that just deer, no turkey or year round.

I can see that being more reasonable but for ~$1000/year I would want to have that land for myself... seems like it could get overhunted pretty easy with 8 guys.. that means i get 50 acres lol

Edited by ridgerunner88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ridgerunner88 said:

I can see that being more reasonable but for ~$1000/year I would want to have that land for myself... seems like it could get overhunted pretty easy with 8 guys.. that means i get 50 acres lol

Exactly. Land is getting scarce and people will start charging more and more for the pleasure. Hunting will continue to change as the years go along. If politics stay as they are today who knows where 4 more years will put hunting. 

4 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Its sad that these upstate landowners want to charge good regular middle class people out the @ss to enjoy this sport.   

$18 an acre is the norm no one makes people pay that price plenty of state land to enjoy the sport, and down state land owners charge less then upstate? and not sure what property taxes are in that area but i would think that may not even cover all taxes

Edited by land 1

No place to hunt in Allegany County NY?  With all the state land available there, I don't see why anyone would have to lease property or purchase land to pay the taxes on, unless they have the money and want to. I do some roaming around that area and have hunted it during early bow and see very few hunters.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/73957.html

Check out all the state land available to hunting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Saw this on Facebook. One has to wonder the way the world is going if this kind of money is in hunters future for hunting land?

00320983-C016-4ACC-AC32-E165310BCB77.png

I know you're an avid, and certainly better than I, hunter.  But, why are you surprised?  How much do people pay you, or someone who buys one of your monsters and breeds them?  All so they can lie about how they took it.

6 hours ago, DDT said:

$18 per acre. Seems reasonable to me. 8 people go in on it and form a hunting club. Get a several year lease  agreement. Alot cheaper than taxes to own.

could be 10 or 12 guys splitting the cost. Not all will hunt at the same time, so it could work.

3 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I know you're an avid, and certainly better than I, hunter.  But, why are you surprised?  How much do people pay you, or someone who buys one of your monsters and breeds them?  All so they can lie about how they took it.

Well most people can’t afford to spend 8 grand on hunting land just as most can’t afford to spend 10 grand on a 200inch high fence hunt. 400 acres is really not a lot of land and depending on how it’s laid out it could be to small for even 4 guys. I don’t see the future getting any cheaper when it comes to leasing properties and with the number of hunters dwindling every year the two together does not spell good news for hunters. But you do bring up a good point. The demand this year in this state has about tripled for bucks in the 130-150 range. Now whether that has anything to do with lack of hunting land and people rather paying for the sure thing then paying say 8 grand for a chance at a decent buck..If there happens to be one in the area. Now how many so called “Meat Hunters” are going to drop 8 grand to throw a couple 100lbs of venison in the freezer?   I’m not shocked at the price… Maybe I should lease out our 900 plus acres for that price…But do wonder what that will do for hunting in the bigger picture. Especially in a state that’s not known for its big bucks. 

I can't imagine being young and wanting to get into hunting these days - no access, too many distractions. But it's not like this isn't the norm in many other states. You pay to play. Unfortunate.

It's nice to have so much state land available upstate, but inevitably this is going to contribute to the have-have not divide. 

• Like 1

Leasing land for the year gives people a taste at ownership-how often was it used? How was the "commute"? Good neighbors/area for other things beyond hunting? Maybe they run hunting dogs too? Maybe they like Turkey hunting? Maybe they are strictly bow hunters-400 acres "plays bigger" then. Maybe $8000 is "chump change" for them? Maybe they are sick if public land hunting- well documented challenges. Maybe he could get $10,000 for it and is offering a deal to some lucky hunters?
How does this change hunting in the future? Could people now just hunt land not owned by them without compensation or permission from the owner? Are people suggesting that land owners shouldn't make money off their land if they can?
We leased years and years ago- our biggest issue was the exclusivity "promised" by the owner-it was fun for a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to grow up hunting private lands.  Been hunting the same farms for over 30 yrs. For free. One farm was over 1000 acres in it prime. Now only 250. 

Never hunted state land, or leased. At my age, if I lost all of my private hunting areas, I'd quit before I paid to hunt or hunt public lands.  I only need one deer a yr as my wife won't touch venison. I'd take one deer off my 8 acres, and be happy with that. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

Just now, mowin said:

I was lucky enough to grow up hunting private lands.  Been hunting the same farms for over 30 yrs. For free. One farm was over 1000 acres in it prime. Now only 250. 

Never hunted state land, or leased. At my age, if I lost all of my private hunting areas, I'd quit before I paid to hunt or hunt private.  I only need one deer a yr as my wife won't touch venison. I'd take one deer off my 8 acres, and be happy with that. 

Exactly what I was kinda referring to. Most won’t/can’t pay to play when it comes to hunting. It will no doubt have an effect on hunting’s future. And less people is not a thing hunting can afford I’m afraid. Hell they put a video of a lion killing a zebra on Facebook and 90% of the comments are people complaining that it’s cruel. 

I think more landowners are catching on that they can make some extra $ this way.  Before the local neighbor might have permission to hunt but now many are leasing for the extra.  A lot of owners lease to farmers for crops in the summer than can get a lease for hunters in the fall, leasing is still way cheaper than buying.

A lot of land is also getting grabbed around here for those solar farms which makes less hunting areas.   

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think more landowners are catching on that they can make some extra $ this way.  Before the local neighbor might have permission to hunt but now many are leasing for the extra.  A lot of owners lease to farmers for crops in the summer than can get a lease for hunters in the fall, leasing is still way cheaper than buying.

A lot of land is also getting grabbed around here for those solar farms which makes less hunting areas.   

I can't believe how many solar fields have popped up in my area.  

My area is different. Very few of the large landowners (50 acres+) need the money. They are city-its that have summer homes. They don't believe in hunting, but complain about having to spend $1000's every yr to replace garden plants. 

• Like 1

$18/acre is a bit high at that scale, but it's not by any stretch a bad deal in a good county for deer, turkey, etc.

Public can be good/great hunting but there is also less control over your experience. Private exclusive land whether owned, permission, leased etc. is more likely to have some degree of control. With people having less and less free time in their lives, some people see the value in leasing or buying to procure a quality experience with the limited time they have.  And some people see $8K as a much better financial outlay than buying 453 acres. I have to assume the taxes on that are at or above $8K with the way our state is. Most likely, the group that leases it, will be a hunt club formally or informally, probably camp there, or nearby, and make it an adventure each year.

Parts of hunting are evolving and evolving fast. We must learn to deal with it and base our decisions off of that.

Edited by phade

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Never hunted state land, or leased. At my age, if I lost all of my private hunting areas, I'd quit before I paid to hunt or hunt public lands.  I only need one deer a yr as my wife won't touch venison. I'd take one deer off my 8 acres, and be happy with that. 

That's almost a perfect description of my experience too.  Except we're adjacent to 5k acres of state land. 

A couple years ago my uncle by marriage decided to lease his 300 some odd acres, for about 6k?  And trust me, it's nothing spectacular.  It COULD be if he put work in, but it's not.  Then with other pieces of the farm getting sold off the access keeps going down down down. This caused him to lose one, maybe both?  Of his leases.  I don't think he can afford the taxes long term.

I'm happy and about at maximum bandwidth with the 240 some odd acres I have, and improving that.