Is this where hunting is headed?

Four Seasons

17 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Real sad. I have stalkers. Most would not put forth the effort I do to be successful but there are eyes without a doubt. Let alone being at the local Stewart’s shop and having total strangers tell you about the big bucks they have been watching on your property. Road watchers I’m sure as no cameras have popped. Even on the state land I hunt I park up or down the road from where I go in to my spots. I thing at times it’s best not to be showing any pretty bucks dead or camera. 

in general, most people are lazy. not all but most. Given an edge to kill a nice buck for a lot less work, many will take it. sad but true. And i think this is why some of us maybe appear to overreact to trespassers. The sheer amount of time and money that we put into out hobby can be wiped out in an instant by some weekend slob of a hunter who feels it's his or her right to just walk onto your land after he spotted a big buck on it.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I have lots of eyes on the property. It's being approached from the neighbors. I just don't know which one yet and of course as others have found, even with picture evidence, the authorities rarely seem to do shit about it. 

Maybe try sending certified letters to all the neighbors you suspect could be the ones trespassing. Or that might only make it worse depending on the type of individuals you are dealing with.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/118436.html

D6FAB21B-0FF4-4BF8-B6F5-8A2589D9D117.jpeg

• Like 1

Real sad. I have stalkers. Most would not put forth the effort I do to be successful but there are eyes without a doubt. Let alone being at the local Stewart’s shop and having total strangers tell you about the big bucks they have been watching on your property. Road watchers I’m sure as no cameras have popped. Even on the state land I hunt I park up or down the road from where I go in to my spots. I thing at times it’s best not to be showing any pretty bucks dead or camera. 

Speaking of Stewart's, peanut butter pandemonium may be the best ice cream experience I have found yet especially from the Stewart off the Taconic at Salt Point (and I saw an albino doe just south of the exit ramp!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

I hear people complaining all the time about how they HAD access to a place and now the new owners won't let then on the property. "I've been hunting here for 20 years and now they tell me I can't hunt here". Well, someone paid a lot of money to buy that property and they have to pay taxes and insurance on that property. Maybe the new owners want to hunt the property with their family and friends. If it was on the market for sale anyone could have purchased it. If someone hunts on a property free for 20 years maybe they should have planned and saved to eventually purchase that property or gone in with a few people to purchase some land. 

I started hunting State land, eventually I got permission to hunt some private farmland owned by a friend's grandfather. We did workdays in the spring clearing trees that had fallen during the winter. We would spend weekends to cut and stack firewood in the fall (with beer and pizza) and watched the property throughout the year.

I joined a hunting club in ADK and paid annual dues + 2 work weekends a year (not to mention the 4hr drive each way) and eventually I purchased land where I now live. I work hard and spend a lot of time and money to maintain and improve the land. Now my family and friends have a safe private place to hunt. I have good relations with most of my neighbors who all hunt their own property and are like minded.

When I hear people say they should be entitled to hunt someone else's property it drives me nut's. Many times, these are the same people who complain about others who expect free money from the government but it's the same thing. It comes down to "I want something for free that someone else had to pay for"

There are a ton of options for hunters. State land, build relationships with landowners, join a hunting club, lease property with some buddies, purchase land solo or with some friends. It just depends on how serious you are about hunting and where you are in life. If you really want it go out there and work for it.

• Like 7

I hear people complaining all the time about how they HAD access to a place and now the new owners won't let then on the property. "I've been hunting here for 20 years and now they tell me I can't hunt here". Well, someone paid a lot of money to buy that property and they have to pay taxes and insurance on that property. Maybe the new owners want to hunt the property with their family and friends. If it was on the market for sale anyone could have purchased it. If someone hunts on a property free for 20 years maybe they should have planned and saved to eventually purchase that property or gone in with a few people to purchase some land. 
I started hunting State land, eventually I got permission to hunt some private farmland owned by a friend's grandfather. We did workdays in the spring clearing trees that had fallen during the winter. We would spend weekends to cut and stack firewood in the fall (with beer and pizza) and watched the property throughout the year.
I joined a hunting club in ADK and paid annual dues + 2 work weekends a year (not to mention the 4hr drive each way) and eventually I purchased land where I now live. I work hard and spend a lot of time and money to maintain and improve the land. Now my family and friends have a safe private place to hunt. I have good relations with most of my neighbors who all hunt their own property and are like minded.
When I hear people say they should be entitled to hunt someone else's property it drives me nut's. Many times, these are the same people who complain about others who expect free money from the government but it's the same thing. It comes down to "I want something for free that someone else had to pay for"
There are a ton of options for hunters. State land, build relationships with landowners, join a hunting club, lease property with some buddies, purchase land solo or with some friends. It just depends on how serious you are about hunting and where you are in life. If you really want it go out there and work for it.

Agreed but I'm not sure I read that statement as you do as a landowner. If I had a place to hunt by the good Grace if someone I am happy. I am also sad when I "lose" it. I don't blame the land owner for doing what he wants with the land. I'm just bummed that "that's the way hunting is going" -original post concept

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Agreed but I'm not sure I read that statement as you do as a landowner. If I had a place to hunt by the good Grace if someone I am happy. I am also sad when I "lose" it. I don't blame the land owner for doing what he wants with the land. I'm just bummed that "that's the way hunting is going" -original post concept

I don't know if it has really changed that much. I can see that the "Hunting Lease" thing wasn't a thing decades ago. But I also see it from a different angle. Leases can open up areas that you may never have had access to if you weren't from an area and knew a landowner. And the picture in the add looks like it already has crops aka food plots. At that point you are paying for some exclusive, premium hunting land.

I'm willing to bet if someone respectfully asked a farmer about hunting their land, and they did it well before the season started and offered to do some work to earn that privilege, a lot of landowners would be willing to allow that. I know that I offered that to a landowner before I purchased my land. He gave me permission I did some clean up with the quad and I dropped off some fresh caught lake trout during the summer and a backstrap after I harvested the first deer on his property. Both he and his wife couldn't have been happier to have us there.

There is still a ton of public land to hunt in NY and pull off camping/hunting areas in ADK. Again, someone needs to be willing to work for those deer, but the experience of a Big Woods hunt is what it's all about.

I don't know if it has really changed that much. I can see that the "Hunting Lease" thing wasn't a thing decades ago. But I also see it from a different angle. Leases can open up areas that you may never have had access to if you weren't from an area and knew a landowner. And the picture in the add looks like it already has crops aka food plots. At that point you are paying for some exclusive, premium hunting land.
I'm willing to bet if someone respectfully asked a farmer about hunting their land, and they did it well before the season started and offered to do some work to earn that privilege, a lot of landowners would be willing to allow that. I know that I offered that to a landowner before I purchased my land. He gave me permission I did some clean up with the quad and I dropped off some fresh caught lake trout during the summer and a backstrap after I harvested the first deer on his property. Both he and his wife couldn't have been happier to have us there.
There is still a ton of public land to hunt in NY and pull off camping/hunting areas in ADK. Again, someone needs to be willing to work for those deer, but the experience of a Big Woods hunt is what it's all about.

Agreed, but in this age of fear of lawsuits and new anti gun laws and anti-hunting, it gets harder for landowners to say yes. I have hunted on numerous properties where we have secured permission (without pay or even sweat equity even though we offered). Honestly, we left many due to the lack of hospitality of neighbors thinking they "own" the land because they always accessed it before(without the owners knowledge or permission) cause their daddy and their daddy's daddy always hunted there.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 11:30 AM, land 1 said:

New york has a ton of state land very plentiful. Some areas better then others  never mind the ADK's largest park in the U.S.,.

Sorry but your WRONG  largest parks would be rocky mountain national park & Yellow stone national park   they are both bigger then the adk park  

• Like 1

That's a steal for 400+ acres   it won't last long before somebody leases it 

We own a 2,765 acres  in Franklin county  and turned down offers for 3x that from hunting clubs wanting to lease it 

You want to see expensive head out west to Montana Colorado Wyoming or Idaho  400 acres out there will cost just this side of a cool million + depending on area 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diplomat019 said:

I just read something that said daks is larger than Yellowstone 

Yellowstone as a whole covers both Wyoming  and Montana  so no  the daks are big but  not as big as Yellowstone 

On 9/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, crappyice said:

Agreed, but in this age of fear of lawsuits and new anti gun laws and anti-hunting, it gets harder for landowners to say yes. I have hunted on numerous properties where we have secured permission (without pay or even sweat equity even though we offered). Honestly, we left many due to the lack of hospitality of neighbors thinking they "own" the land because they always accessed it before(without the owners knowledge or permission) cause their daddy and their daddy's daddy always hunted there.

my buddy got free permission to hunt across the road from him on 50 acres.  Thought he hit the jackpot.  Trailcaams got covered up and a treestand stolen.  Locals hunt it and arent supposed to be on there but he isnt getting into a war for land he doesnt own.  So it just wasnt worth it. 

27 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

2,765 Acres is a Huge Spread to own!  I don't  think even the Guru-man here owns close to half that.

Also a,lot of work to maintain patrol and pay the taxes on ,dbut it's only money they print it every day , can't take it with me when I die might as well spend it while I'm above ground less the government can take when Im dead 

It's also posted gated, fenced,& patrolled/watched , catch you on it(and you will get caught if you try) you will go to jail   no warning no second chance   

Edited by TLR
  • Like 1

Adirondack Forest Preserve
Area

2,000,000 acres

Location of Yellowstone National Park
Show map of WyomingShow map of the United StatesShow all
Coordinates 44°35′47″N 110°32′50″W[2]
Area 2,219,791 acres (8,983.18 km2)[3]

18 minutes ago, TLR said:

Yellowstone as a whole covers both Wyoming  and Montana  so no  the daks are big but  not as big as Yellowstone 

According to national parks webpage Yellowstone is 2.2 million acres.  The daks is 6 million acres.  This is a pic i took off of Yellowstones website itself as far as what it covers. 

F4FE8E72-B39A-4749-A957-16DF3F8BC7E3.png

7 hours ago, TLR said:

7 hours ago, TLR said:

Sorry but your WRONG  largest parks would be rocky mountain national park & Yellow stone national park   they are both bigger then the adk park  

From what I found Rocky mtn National is 265,461 acres , yellowstone 2.2 million, adks is 6million now say 54% is private that still leaves like 2.8 million public so Adks is bigger

Edited by land 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

And yet another. 5 grand for deer and another 1500 for spring Turkey all on less then 200 acres.                                               And even Crappy will see the big pusher words in there….Big Buck Territory. 

D2FEE4F5-C1B4-4D66-8954-229A80D8F2B0.png

I pay up to 30$ per acre If the spot is right, I can control aspects of food and stand locations and I'm the only hunter. Get a contract in writing. 200 acres is pretty big if it's the right 200 acres. And that's cheaper than owning it I bet