Is this where hunting is headed?

Four Seasons

4 hours ago, mowin said:

I was lucky enough to grow up hunting private lands.  Been hunting the same farms for over 30 yrs. For free. One farm was over 1000 acres in it prime. Now only 250. 

Never hunted state land, or leased. At my age, if I lost all of my private hunting areas, I'd quit before I paid to hunt or hunt public lands.  I only need one deer a yr as my wife won't touch venison. I'd take one deer off my 8 acres, and be happy with that. 

To each their own... but to quit hunting instead of even giving a public a chance? That kinda tells me all I need to know, which again... you do you. 

Shot one of my best bucks on public land down south as my only options were pay a shit ton of money to join a hunting club, hunt public or don't hunt at all.

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think more landowners are catching on that they can make some extra $ this way.  Before the local neighbor might have permission to hunt but now many are leasing for the extra.  A lot of owners lease to farmers for crops in the summer than can get a lease for hunters in the fall, leasing is still way cheaper than buying.

We shouldn't discount what some of the property taxes have risen to. "back in the day" ag land wasn't a lot of money at all in taxes, but now (especially if you have a barn on it), it's not cheap. So I think many are just maybe hoping to cover their tax bill.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Its sad that these upstate landowners want to charge good regular middle class people out the @ss to enjoy this sport.   

except regular middle class people can't afford that for just hunting land. Those that can afford these leases are the rich and pushes us more and more towards the European model . It's not the case out west where public land is plenty, but sure is the case east of the mississipi and even the heartland. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

To each their own... but to quit hunting instead of even giving a public a chance? That kinda tells me all I need to know, which again... you do you. 

Shot one of my best bucks on public land down south as my only options were pay a shit ton of money to join a hunting club, hunt public or don't hunt at all.

We shouldn't discount what some of the property taxes have risen to. "back in the day" ag land wasn't a lot of money at all in taxes, but now (especially if you have a barn on it), it's not cheap. So I think many are just maybe hoping to cover their tax bill.

A friend just bought 50 acres of tillable farm land along the edge of Letchworth for 8 grand plus and acre. Do the math on the taxes in that area. A guy gets a good place to hunt he best be kissing the landowners azzzz every chance he gets. 

• Like 1

New york has a ton of state land very plentiful. Some areas better then others  never mind the ADK's largest park in the U.S., even in southern teir there are thousand and thousands of acres just got to put some work in, i lease and own land im far from wealthy  im def middle class and i hunt public also even with private , now i did like it better back in the day when you could knock on a door and get permission those are fewer and fewer, after loosing spots for various reasons when i found some cheap land i bought, taxes are  a pain but to each there own....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, land 1 said:

New york has a ton of state land very plentiful. Some areas better then others  never mind the ADK's largest park in the U.S., even in southern teir there are thousand and thousands of acres just got to put some work in, i lease and own land im far from wealthy  im def middle class and i hunt public also even with private , now i did like it better back in the day when you could knock on a door and get permission those are fewer and fewer, after loosing spots for various reasons when i found some cheap land i bought, taxes are  a pain but to each there own....

largest STATE park in the US. Very important distinction and after the state made it forever wild and eliminated logging, it's really, really tough hunting. The best thing NY could do would be to go in and selectively log the DAKs. It'd generate millions in revenue, fuel renewable resources from within the country instead of the rainforests of Brazil to help with the war on plastics and best of all open up the canopy to new young growth for wildlife to thrive.

But yeah... never going to happen.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 4

correct on all points  Belo my point is people if they budget and is worth it to them can either own and/ or  lease with some looking around , alos was pointing out the abdunce of public land in NY open to hunters theres two tracs of public close to my camp both about 3 to 5 thousand acre and several smaller its amazing the lack of presure and after thanksgiving its a ghost town and yes there a decent population of deer... 

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

largest STATE park in the US. Very important distinction and after the state made it forever wild and eliminated logging, it's really, really tough hunting. The best thing NY could do would be to go in and selectively log the DAKs. It'd generate millions in revenue, fuel renewable resources from within the country instead of the rainforests of Brazil to help with the war on plastics and best of all open up the canopy to new young growth for wildlife to thrive.

But yeah... never going to happen.

• Like 1

Not much more exhilarating than walking random pieces of stateland to hunt. I've technically never killed a deer a private land in NY. Every deer I killed since 1997 has been on public land (DEP, State Forest, or WMU). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

A friend just bought 50 acres of tillable farm land along the edge of Letchworth for 8 grand plus and acre. Do the math on the taxes in that area. A guy gets a good place to hunt he best be kissing the landowners azzzz every chance he gets. 

Our farm land is a half hour or so away from there 116 acres, about $2500 a year in taxes . Your friend should be paying a grand or so , not a lot really .

22 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Our farm land is a half hour or so away from there 116 acres, about $2500 a year in taxes . Your friend should be paying a grand or so , not a lot really .

school and town /county? way cheap u have to have an exemption of some type, not knocking u , in fact great if you do,

Many a wise people have repeated these words to me.
Just because someone is asking for a certain price, doesn't mean it's worth it or that they'll get it. 

This comment should be in the conversation in the investment thread regarding college tuition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Not much more exhilarating than walking random pieces of stateland to hunt. I've technically never killed a deer a private land in NY. Every deer I killed since 1997 has been on public land (DEP, State Forest, or WMU). 

Didn't the last 2 deer you kill come off your dad's land?

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

That would get one 16 acres around me 

Plus the taxes - unless you are in programs, you can get hammered on taxes.

Our area is notoriously difficult to buy land at a good price. Acreage esp tillable is going for a premium. I'm in the market and seeing sub 100 acre pieces going for 2500-5000 per acre on mixed use ground - ie tillable woods wetlands, etc. The price skyrockets closer to development to 10k per acre +. When you start going below 50 acres, the per acre price also goes up big time, too. Really interesting dynamics. We have ground here that is income limited to ag, some logging, and maybe a few programs or the rare OGM, selling for more than prime land that can drive income off hunting, ag, timber, and major OGM in big buck states. Crazy IMO. Plus you pay more for taxes, too. Worth saying again.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I think people underestimate how much taxes can be on some of these properties and what the means for the economics on the parties involved. Can't blame landowners for not wanting to eat the tax bill themselves and a lot of folks including myself have decided it's a better use of capital to lease vs. buy. I've been in the market to buy land for several years and had a few deals fall apart because of what the taxes were going to be once the appraisal value on the town books repriced to what I would have paid. Rough #s but usually was working out to about 3-4% of my purchase price in taxes per year... latest example was 110 acres near Rochester that I could have got for ~$250K but was going to run me ~$10K per year in taxes. The previous land owner was paying $3,500 in taxes and that wasn't a terrible deal but his appraisal value hadn't changed in the 20+ years he owned it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sounds like the public has an easement by necessity.  I will try not to put my stand too close to yours this year!

nothing sneaky about it. It's just Public hunting land. They illegally bait it too. We find the empty bags. It gets hammered with guys, but most cant handle the steep hills so we rarely see other hunters except in the distance. 

Edited by BizCT