Any old timer's want to help a young buck out?

Caveman

Live below your means; save for a rainy day and retirement; and find something you LOVE doing and pursue a career in that area.  I am content with my job, but most in my industry hate it, despite that the income is good.  I will be happy if my children find a career they really enjoy more so than if they are hugely successful in terms of economic gain.

Live below your means; save for a rainy day and retirement; and find something you LOVE doing and pursue a career in that area.  I am content with my job, but most in my industry hate it, despite that the income is good.  I will be happy if my children find a career they really enjoy more so than if they are hugely successful in terms of economic gain.

http://games.rit.edu/

Top-ranked and right in town. Video game sales outpaced movie sales for the first time this past year. We were just talking about this at work today. Co-worker's son went through it and landed a darn near 6 figure income before he even graduated.

No law schools in Rochester. Wish they did....

I think these day's your better off with a trade.  College is nothing but big business at it's finest.  I know three good buddies that i work with that make the same as i do, but owe thousands on top of thousands in loans.  Maybe it will benefit them in the future, but i wouldn't gamble with our economy, trades will always have jobs.  Plus you can be a functioning idiot and make it into college and then have enough "help" to get you a 4.0....our school system is a joke...I had a part-time job as a tutor for a JUCO school and i was told that i had to try and help the student understand whatever concept was being talked about at the point, but that i also had to make sure the work was done...i am quoting a state university educator here, "make sure they get the correct answer, if you know what i mean"....meaning if they are to dumb/lazy to get the answer, do it for them...if ya couldn't tell, i'm not a huge fan on college...that is unless you have the money, then by all means go and enjoy

You have to be very careful how you word that. There are absolutely people who should go straight to a trade instead of wasting money on college. However, for the right profession (engineering/medical/computer etc) and if you're the right person who will be dedicated to what you go to school for then you should absolutely do it. This is also to say if you think you have a good knack for business, getting your MBA can pay big dividends.

Don't get me wrong, there are days I wish I was just working with my hands. There are days I enjoy sitting at the desk. I do also think that a trade will and can make you more money early on. Not to mention some offer some great pay with overtime to the younger non-family man willing to put in the hours. The college education might need to work his way up through the entry level jobs making less, but can also have a higher ceiling for those that deserve it. But there are travel requirements, late nights without overtime etc. pros and cons.

it really is person specific. And never underestimate going to a community college first then going to state. The 4 year private schools can really rack up the bills, and yes loans do take time to pay off (although their IR is low and tax deductible), so you have to weigh your ROI. If the average salary of the career you're getting into is $40k, you might not want to go to a 4 year private school for that. If you're becoming a doctor, those huge loans are easier to swallow by your nice salary. Don't overlook the armed forces paying your way either. My father in law is an eye doctor making great money and his education was paid for by the army.

Edited by Belo

For those asking I'm a 2nd year law student.  The problem is I'm really good at this.  I'm second in my class, law review, and teach legal research and writing to both inmates in the NYSDOCS and undergrads.  I have the grades, qualifications, and work ethic to go just about anywhere around here I want to.  

The problem is this field is completely incompatible with what I truly want out of life.  I want to wake up and not be completely pissed that I have to go work that day (not including hunting season as that would be an unrealistic expectation).  I'm not greedy, I just want enough money to take care of my family and put some away for retirement.  I look at my internships and everyone is miserable.  It's a saturated market and they're all overworked and either depressed, alcoholics, or divorced (or a combination of the three).  I woke up every day this summer and absolutely dreaded going to work.  

Before this I was an EMT in the City of Buffalo and worked 60 hours a week for $10/hr.  I know that's not the life I want to go back to.  

I'd love to teach research and writing to 1st year law students.  The problem with that is those jobs are hard to get, and if it doesn't work out the odds are you're going to be stuck just being a lawyer.  There's also the money aspect of my education.  I've already taken out 50K in loans for school so I feel like I might as well see it through since I'm already in for 2/3 of what it will cost to finish my degree.  

There are more lawyers on here than you think.

I also know one or two of them. Hard road no doubt, but well adjusted, good people, and they simply work hard at being good at their craft.

I'd love to go to law school. If there was one local in Rochester, I likely would have went.

I don't doubt there are well-adjusted lawyers out there.  I just mean that if the way I felt every morning this summer is how I have to feel every morning about going to work for the next 50 years, I won't be one of them.   

Gotta do what you gotta do.

537759_319680464813212_285703161_n.jpg

Drag the corners of the box above to crop this photo. Done Cropping | Cancel
Saving your new profile picture

Type any name to tag:
Type any name

187862_131900476924546_245247748_q.jpg
Like This PageLiked · December 21, 2012

Like · · Share

• 1076731_100000392858700_1116535183_q.jpg

Write a comment...MONEY MEANS NOTHING IN THE SCHEME OF LIFE....

Edited by hunterman7956
  • Like 1

http://games.rit.edu/

Top-ranked and right in town. Video game sales outpaced movie sales for the first time this past year. We were just talking about this at work today. Co-worker's son went through it and landed a darn near 6 figure income before he even graduated.

No law schools in Rochester. Wish they did....

As I said Phade - most lawyers wish they did something else - but that may be the pasture is always greener mentality. 

Funny you put that link up.  I know Erik Vick pretty well, one of the assistant profs there. 

If you have this on your mind ...then you must have exhausted the possibilities that your law degree has to send you into other fields?...if not then go to your schools professionals and start asking questions...you do have a  Professional Development Coordinator don't you? you can tweak your degree

remember this, money isn't everything, but being broke your whole life can be just as stressful as having a well paying job that you're not entirely happy with...........imagine telling your wife and kids you're going hunting for a week and at the same time can't afford to take them on a vacation. 

• Like 2

remember this, money isn't everything, but being broke your whole life can be just as stressful as having a well paying job that you're not entirely happy with...........imagine telling your wife and kids you're going hunting for a week and at the same time can't afford to take them on a vacation. 

Well that is just short sighted and shows you immaturity.

The conversation should go more like "hey honey it is about time to rearrange you shedule again this year and pick that third job back up. Deer season starts in 2 weeks and I want the kids to have a really nice Christmas. Oh and the new rifle I want is on lay away. here is the pick up ticket. No need to wrap it for me."

Geeeesh. gotta teach you guys everything.

• Like 4

Well that is just short sighted and shows you immaturity.

The conversation should go more like "hey honey it is about time to rearrange you shedule again this year and pick that third job back up. Deer season starts in 2 weeks and I want the kids to have a really nice Christmas. Oh and the new rifle I want is on lay away. here is the pick up ticket. No need to wrap it for me."

Geeeesh. gotta teach you guys everything.

Lol...I almost responded after the first sentence.....

You have to look into something that will feed you and your family for a lifetime young fella, way to many highly educated people making huge paychecks only 5 years ago working at Home Depot today, losing cars, homes, retirements. Government civil service was the ticket and still looks good today but with the way things are going that could well be headed for the crapper too, lots of people have lots to lose. Make your own pension in addition to anything provided by an employer. Go into small business and make your own way, you will be the one at the helm instead of politicians or union bosses who will hold your fate in other lines of work......

I'm 23 as well. I work as a process and chemical engineer at Dupont. It was not my first choice for a career. I never graduated college but was fortunate enough to work in Pennsylvania for a summer and that experience alone was enough to land me this job. Like I said it was not my first choice but I grew to love it and would not have changed a thing.

My village has like 2500 people - maybe 3 times that in the surrounding townships.

We have 2 lawyers who do general practice living comfortable but not extravagant.

Becoming a lawyer doesn't mean you have to do the cutthroat high pressure thing.

Find a balance.

im 29, but i think at your age you dont need to overly worry about a career. I just got hired in my choosen career path November 1st of last year. I was making in the 12.00 to $13.00 per hour range for YEARS!!! no matter what job I went to i was stuck. I finally decided I wanted to get into a Public school district. Union Benefits retirement plus NYS pension I get to work with my hands and brain Im in the Maintenance dept.. I wanted job security, a guarenteed raise every year plus good retirement plan.. Most importantly I wanted something I could help support my family with. I have a wife and an 18 month old son. I do not have a college degree of any sort. I think Belo said it best.

"

I think very few people truly "love" their jobs, and what I mean by that is would you do it for free or a greatly reduced paycheck? For example, racecar driver, playboy photographer, outdoor guide etc.

I do not love my job, I barely even like it. But it challenges me enough to keep it interesting and provides enough of a paycheck to support the things I do love in life (hobbies and family). I think as long as you don't dread going to work (of course nobody wants to go to work) and you're not overly stressed and the job is taking a toll on your health and family then most jobs are just that. Jobs.:" It took me a LONG time to get into a school district I worked 1 full time job as a custodian for a crappy nonprofiot organization for a few years and had 2 other part time jobs being  a substitute custodian for 2 other public schools for a few years untill I was hired full time. Now I only need this one job.... Bust you A$$ and always do the right thing and good things will come to you.

I own a small dairy farm it allows me to be outside , one day the driver of the milk truck and I were talking, He told me he served in the military for a while , got a degree in engineering, and was working in an office cubicle starring at computer screen , he didn't feel like he accomplished much. He made a big change and got a CDL and started driving truck, he felt he got more from that than his previous career and was happy.  I personally have thought a change ,but never have changed. Another guy my age were talking one day, I spoke of changing careers, his comments we don't know what were going to do when we grow up !   Good luckl  !!!!

Edited by F-150

I didn't finish college until I was 38. Before that I worked every crap job in the book, never happy with them. When I had the chance to go back to school I jumped at it. Just being there led me to discover the things I love doing. In the end I realized that I love to do the things I'm good at. It may be that you are already on the right track. If I could go back and start college earlier (on time) I would. I wasted so much time flailing around looking for the job I could be happy in. I wanted to be a highschool art teacher. (next to immpossible now, especially in NY) I'm a college professor now, teaching video and motion graphics. Some days I hate my job. But it beats digging ditches in the rain. That job was the worst.

Time to get out the old crystal ball. When you reach the number of years that I have, you too will have seen many, many, careers disappear completely. Technology is rapidly eliminating whole departments, so what looks like an iron-clad, secure occupation, could someday be replaced with a computer program or two. The day of job security is a thing of the past, but when choosing career direction changes, perhaps a little heavy pre-thought stirred in with a bit of honest prophesy might help put the odds more in your favor.

• Like 1

Its just as easy to fall in love with a woman of wealth as it is a poor woman. Or so said my dad. But I didn't listen. Seriously though, the recommendation to learn to live on 70-80% of your net income is great. If you can make 20-30% of your net income disposable.

Folks remember this as you look on life and work !!!!    If you are not working for your self you have no control over what happens in the job market . Just a fact all you are is just a number to the corporate bosses .I have been in and out of many jobs in my life staying many years with some and even after 70 to 80 hours a week got the ax by some one that sits in front of a screen and counts numbers so if you think your safe you are not . In the words of the great Bob Seger  I FEAL LIKE A NUMBER  just my in put And i have razed 4 children own my house may cars trucks and man toys and love my wife of 30 years  have a great day and hunt safe