2013 HNY Gun Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2013 gun season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My buddy shot this 7 point on my farm this morning. I saw him come across the top of the field at dark last night from 500 yards away and told my buddy to sit in the blind this morning. I'm just glad the buck cooperated. It's his 2nd buck ever and first in 15 years.

post-1506-13847009403364_thumb.jpgpost-1506-13847009549779_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Well this weekend was a good one for me and my family, my dad and my brother both punched all their tags during the southern zone opener.  The seven point in the back on the left is my brothers deer, which is also his first  As for me I could not make it down for the southern zone opener because I had to take a civil service test on Saturday.  So Saturday after the test, I loaded up and decided to head to camp in the Adirondacks to hunt Sunday.  By 11 on Sunday I had seen 5 deer, one of which was a buck.  I found this odd due in part to the high temps and strong winds we were getting.  Well at about 4:15, I caught the 8 point (back right in the photo) trying to slip buy.  So now we have 5 deer hanging in the shed after one weekend of hunting.    

post-1014-0-62505400-1384751037_thumb.jp

• Like 8

I took this buck yesterday morning from state land.Pretty sure my cousin pushed it to me as he walked through a high weed field and had 16 deer at different times jump up. 110 lbs dressed out. Only saw one small deer the last 5 times I have been out and the state land I hunted was very busy so I took what came along.We had fun.post-491-0-19645100-1384793094_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

After sitting in my stand for about 1 1/2 hours Saturday afternoon (11-16-13) at about 4:00pm I hear what I thought were antlers crashing about 100 yards behind me. I hit my rattles and blow a few tunes on my grunt call. 15 mins later I hear crunching coming from behind my tree stand. Thinking it's a squirrel I don't pay it much mind so I start glassing the corn field. A minute or so later as I'm glassing the field behind me the crunching gets louder and louder. As I put my binos down I see a buck coming out from the brush behind me. At first I only see what appeared to be a four point. Then I see 3 on one side. As I consciously make the decision to pass on him he comes out a bit farther all the while he's looking at me. Suddenly I see 4 points on one side and my adrenaline started pumping. I slowly put my binos down moving ever so gently as he continues to stare at me trying to figure out what I am. He looks away and I finally get my binos down. He's starts looking at me again. Now I see 8pts. He turns away and I get my hand on my Remy that was hanging on a tree hook. He turns back to me. I freeze for what seemed like an eternity with the stock of my Remy on my thigh. He turns away and starts walking away from me at 35 yards from my tree. I get my Remy down and the scope to my eye and safety off in a matter of 3 secs. He stops quartering away and I squeeze the trigger. Just as I squeeze the trigger he starts to turn further quartering away and the next thing I see is his rump go down and he drags himself into thick brush. My heart sinks. I felt like throwing up. I waited 20 mins and then I get down to start tracking him thinking I wounded him and I'm going to spend hours looking for him. I start tracking him in the thick brush. I chamber another round just in case but I come upon him about 20 yards into the thicket and he's already expired. I kneel over him and thank our good Lord for the second time today.

Here he is in the field after dragging him about 50 yards and waiting for my BIL to come with his tractor

post-1257-0-98338300-1384796558_thumb.jp

Here he is capped out.

post-1257-0-85825200-1384796605_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-10637300-1384796688_thumb.jp

• Like 16

Well, made it out for what was the last sit of the season with my course load gettin pretty hairy, thesis, and finals takin up all my time until end of season , unless my redneck kicks in again n says f it im goin ... But had this guy startle the crap outa me as I was creepin through the thickets in the swamp, ran 70 yds or so gave em a baaa, stopped n looked back an wammo with the 12 ga...doesn't surpass the bow buck by any means but a cool little buck on an orange army public land , trophy in itself lol... Counting down the days for what 2014 bow has to offer ;)post-2133-0-07075100-1384907792_thumb.jp

• Like 12

Opening morning after my 11 hour drive from NC. I put my climber up near the same spot where opening day last year a 4pt walked by. We are in a 3pt on one side area. So this guy comes in from my right rear and I'm watching him over my shoulder but he's walking in the exact wide open path I walked in on. He looks up at me and I am frozen. I suspect he sensed something he turned and started to walk behind me. I straightened my head and waited hoping he would come out on my left. Then I heard him snort. I stood up quickly with my gun and turned hoping he just jumped and looked back...which is exactly what he did. And my 270 went clean through with unbelievable blood trail for 20 yards.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

post-4051-13852093165278_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Our deer hang on opening morning. This was by 11:00. Should of had a nice 8 hanging but I rushed the shot and my neighbor took him. Hanging are two doe, button buck and another buck with broken antlers. Friend thought it was a doe. We did tag it as a doe because the 1 antler was 2.75 inches. 1st time hunter and newly weds were together and they shot the button buck!!

post-156-0-00425200-1385213898_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-89869300-1385213899_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-04960900-1385213902_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-64457300-1385213903_thumb.jpg

post-156-0-02588600-1385213980_thumb.jpg

Edited by First-light
  • Like 11

post-1556-0-41547900-1385233671_thumb.jp

Took this 8 point buck on Tuesday the 19th.

I was sitting on the ground against a big old mossy stump, near the edge of a patch of hemlock.

I had just looked at my cell phone to check the time, because I knew it was getting late. The time was 4:02 PM. Figured I would sit until the very last few seconds of legal light. It was going to be my last day of rifle hunting of the year in NY.

Before I put the phone back into my pocket, I look up and see movement. I immediately see a good sized rack about 120 yards away. The deer is moving at a good pace, from my right to left, not just tip-toeing through the woods. I knew I had to make a move and fast, or he would be gone.

I threw my phone onto the leaves to my right, and I jumped up. I moved forward about 5-10 steps to get behind a big hemlock. I rested my Marlin 30-30 on a broken branch to the left side of the tree. I look for a shooting lane he may pass through, and wait for the buck to come into view. Within seconds of getting my rifle rested, I see the buck come back into sight. Another second or two later the buck was in the shooting lane I was hoping he would move through.

I made a loud bleat sound by mouth to get the buck to stop, he didn't hear it. I try again, this time very loud, almost just yelling, and he stopped in his tracks, broadside, and swung his head to look in my direction.

I placed my crosshairs on him quickly, and squeezed the trigger.

He didn't run far, first about 15-20 yards in the direction he was going, then spun around and started running back the way he came, maybe 30 yards. He paused for a second and I was about to fire another round, but he tipped over and fell.

He weighed about 130 pounds dressed.

He's also a red head!

post-1556-0-86456400-1385233264_thumb.jp

When I took him off the pole, he was frozen stiff and standing on his own...

post-1556-0-36098700-1385233310_thumb.jp

Edited by SteveNY
  • Like 12

I managed to fill my regular season buck tag today with a nice 6'er!
I wasn't even going to go out because of the weather and no sightings lately. I froze my butt off for 4hrs before this fella came running in from behind me right around noon.
When I stood up to grab my smokepole my treestand let out a God awefull groan and he ran away from me.
Unfortunately for him, he didn't run far enough before he stopped, and I dropped 'em in his tracks!  Not to toot my own horn... but I don't miss with this gun!
As I was gutting him, I had 4 antlerless stroll by me at 20yds, and on my way dragging him out I bumped into 4 more antlerless on the trail home. I can still go out for late ML season but only got the antlerless tag so I'll see how cold it is,lol

Looks like shed season will come early again this year! :)

_CSC0201_filtered_zps3c3d1e9a.jpg

_CSC0205_filtered_zps7d070a9b.jpg

_CSC0207_filtered_zps51826c40.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 18

My Birthday Buck, first day of a 26 day hunt.  I think I jumped him earlier in the day.  Called in with a doe bleet and grunt tube.  After using the can I heard a grunt 30 minutes later and responded with a grunt.  Twenty minutes of him making rubs just below me (I wondered what that noise was?) he came into view for a perfect broad side shot.  Felt like a gift from heaven above, my 3rd Buck out of Moose River and the highlight of my ADK hunting adventures.  What a Birthday gift!!! 
post-1186-0-67408600-1383971454_thumb.jp
post-1186-0-09625400-1384019953_thumb.jp

• Like 14

Got it done today guys and gals! Bagged an 8pt!!!!

I walked into the woods at 730am. I went in this morning hoping to fill a dmp tag, but instead this guy showed up. As i walked into the spot where I saw 2 giants during bow season, i decided to take a gamble and go in to the exact location, but upon entering the location, a guy was in a tree stand 10 yrds off to my right so i backed out. I said under my breath a bunch of choice words that were inappropriate and not like myself. So I waved and walked away. Upon leaving the first spot, I radioed my pop and told him i was going to go to the top of the mountain where he harvested a 4 pt about 1 week ago from today. He said okay, be safe and good luck since it was a little slippery due to the snow fall. So as i got to the top, i saw tracks and rubs everywhere and said this is going to be a good spot and decided to sit on a COLD AS HELL rock and text my dad i am in a prime spot and will walk down to him at 10 to get him. The wind today was whipping around like no other and at the same point i said to myself today is too windy and i would not see anything. So after 30 min of sitting my mom texted me to get milk on the way home, and asked if i see anything. So being a good son i said sure, and that it was super windy and was not expecting to see anything today. After 2 min of sending the message this guy ran the ridge right to me, ending up to be 30 yrds from me and came to a full stop. Him and i ended up having a staring contest for what seemed to be forever! so i  slowly grabbed my 06 and put the cross hairs on his shoulder, I squeezed softly and boom he buckled and ran 100 yrds to my left up on another ridge. under my breath i said dang did i miss? so i waited 5 min and walked to where i shot him, immediately i see a blood trail! i said hell yes thank the good lord he allowed me to harvest a great animal and now its time to put in the work. As i followed the blood trail i got with in 20 yrs and saw he was laying down. So to be safe i put another round in just in case. As I took anther step he jumped up and ran 5 yrds and stopped, that is where i took the safety off and put another round right through his lungs. He then ran another 100 yrs to the base of the mountain. I radioed my pop and told him i shot a buck and its at the base. He said he would be right over with my brother to help me drag the big boy and get him out. after gutting him and dragging him out of the woods it was 1pm! we all looked at eachother and realized crap, we need to get home and still get milk for our mom. Today was a successful hunt, and we were all excited to get the big boy home and get ready for the big feast! As for tomorrow we wont be going out cause we have to process him and get him to the taxidermist! good luck everyone! they big boys are still on the run! 

post-2608-0-79457100-1385693864_thumb.jp

post-2608-0-05933800-1385693873_thumb.jp

• Like 13