2013 HNY Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2013 bow season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This obviously isn't a NY kill, but it was my first harvest of the season. 4x4 bull elk, taken last Thursday in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. 25 yard quarter to shot, got both lungs, liver and some gut and sliced up the offside hindquarter. He went about 150 yards and watched him drop.

CIMG0356_zps8df8ded6.jpg

• Like 18

Had 11 deer come out in my new plot this morning. 4 does, 4 button bucks, 3 fawn does. Shot the biggest doe at 20 yards quartering to me. Rage took out lung and heart. She ran ~80 yards and piled up. 130 lbs hanging. Didn't have my camera arm but got video of her before I shot her.

post-1506-13809828642588_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I stuck this 8pt last night at 5:45 pm.  All night long there was a light misting rain and it had the deer moving! I had a doe and fawn came in really early. It was the smallest fawn that I have ever seen this time of the year.  Covered in spots and couldn't have weighed more than 40lbs. Shortly after I had a total of 6 does work their way in.  They all made it within 20yds but I had no intentions of taking a doe yet so I let them all walk.  The rain stopped, the sun went down and here he comes!! A nice 8pt worked his way down the lane a presented a 10yd broadside shot to me! Yeah I love it when a plan comes togther!

front.jpg

side.jpg

stand.jpg

• Like 25

this is going to take longer to type than the actual hunt lasted.

hunted the first day morning and evening with plenty of sightings but none of the decent bucks

showed up.  second day I skipped the morning hunt because of bad winds for all my morning stands

and having some work i needed to get done.  the evening hunt I had 2 of the decent bucks at 20

yards all out battling for 15 minutes and no shot at either of them. 

last thursday am i went in to move that particular stand up another 10 feet, it was at 20 feet and just

seemed to be too low for my liking.  seeing as we were leaving for pa that afternoon I figured get in

move the stand up, spray it all down and get out of there and be gone for a few days.

wanted to hunt last evening but we didn't get back in time.  this morning with the impending rains I didn't

dare hunt and the wind again was iffy for my morning spots.  as the day wore on and the rains moved out

and the temps dropped to 50 and the winds picked up from the west south west it was game on.... but there

seemed to be a persistant little disturbance to the west and I was watching it on the radar and finally I 

decided that it was going to move out over the lake and be good to go with no rain.

My concern over the rain made me later than I wanted to be to get to the stand I moved but I figured if I

hustled I would be ok.   I have been watching this buck for 3 months from long range almost on a daily basis

in the evenings and any mornings I didn't have to work. 

i parked the truck at 4:45 changed clothes and sprayed down with scent shield. I litterally jogged the 300 yards

to my stand. hooked up the harness and bow and up the tree. I pulled the bow up knocked an arrow and hung

the bow on the hanger and then hung my fanny pack on the tree.

I turn around and start to zip my jacket when I look up and see him coming towards me!  I pik up the bow and

he is now just about under me and he walks behind me as I ease to full draw he stops at 7 yards broadside

he raises his head and tests the wind. It was too late the green pin was burning a hole through the top of his right

shoulder, almost like a laser guide for the wasp tipped xx78.

at the shot he lunged forward and sprinted 35 yards before I heard him crash... I was in disbelief  on what had

just transpired, I was not in the stand 3 minutes before I shot him... I knew it wsa going to be close on time but

I didn't realise it was going to be that close.  

im done till I head back to pa to hunt there.

035_zpsd7355acb.jpg

• Like 27

Got a nice buck on Sunday Oct 6. The fun part about this buck was that i saw him my first morning out on Friday Oct 4th. He gave me a perfect broadside shot at 25 yds and I guess I just didn't settle my pin like i should have and i shot under him and sheered off a few of his chest hairs. I was a little disappointed but I had already taken a doe that morning and i had 3 months to find him again. 
On Sunday morning I sat up in the same tree and though I saw many does, he never came out. as I walked out of the woods that morning I came across ground zero. A small area with 2 or 3 active scrapes and every sapling rubbed free of bark. I knew this is where he was coming out from bedding all day. Lucky for me there was a big black pine with good vantage points right along the trail. I unpacked the climber, got out the saw and trimmed it for a 20' high sit.
I was back in the stand at about 3pm that afternoon and almost immediately the does started coming out. I counted 9 in total and it didn't take long for me to get skylined. I was frozen in an uncomfortable position for over an hour before those pissed off does left the area. About 5:30pm I hear a crack behind me, looked down and there he was.

I had to spin an lift the bow up over the side bar of my stand and i did this with great care making sure I didn't catch any of the bark on the black pine. He took a few steps as I drew back, gave me a quartering away shot a little better than straight down and I let fly. The arrow made a loud, deep thud as it sunk in high on his rib cage and lodged in his shoulder on the opposite side. I knew the arrow didn't pass thru and he turned and crashed in thru some of the thickest most dense tangle of brush, stickers and vines you can imagine. It sounded like Buick as he blasted 60 or so yards through the brush ending with a solid loud CRASH. I knew he was down. I got out of the stand immediately to begin finding him and I made note of the direction of where he crashed. This brush is so thick you might have to go 20' sideways just to get back on trail and go 2' forward. I found a few drops of blood that had splashed out of  his back and moved forward. It didn't take long for me to lose the trail on the wet leaves and it seems several other deer spooked with him so following the running tracks wasn't working. I finally gave up and thought I would bring my beagle back to help me find him. I had gotten so turned around in there (it's really like one of those mouse mazes) that I just looked up over the trees and headed for daylight. And to my amazement, there he was.  And as luck would have it, he died only 40' from a field. It still took me a good 10 minutes of maneuvering and a few cuts to get him out of there but I made it. he's not the biggest deer but It was a very fulfilling hunt and my strategy change paid off.

1383529_10200513683949527_240072819_n.jp

post-1437-0-29368200-1381250760_thumb.jp

Edited by Matt Sasso
  • Like 16

Got this doe right before sunset last night. She came out with another doe and a fawn and she was the bigger of the two adults.

First deer taken with a bow I just got my bow last year so this is my first full deer season to hunt with a bow and I love it.

I did a tonnn of shooting to get ready for this season and it paid off. She led the way out then came the fawn. I had already started to draw my bow and think the fawn heard me. It looked right at me and then the mother did to I let the arrow fly and ended up getting a great shot. She ran maybe 20 yards off the trail and piled up in a shallow swamp land.

Lets goo deer season 2013 for my first bow harvest. Im very pumped lol !!!

post-2321-0-51476400-1381263248_thumb.jp

• Like 14

Last Sunday the Mrs. And I switched cars I was traveling for work so I kept hers at the airport and she used mine and had the winter tires put on while I was gone. The night before I left I moved the hunting gear I keep in my trunk into her Rav 4, scent free bags full of clothes, bow in the case, otter etc. I needed to make room to put the tires in for her. Rather then bring my hunting stuff inside I left it in the car as usually. Next morning I head to the airport early and in a hurry and notice some cd's, paperwork etc on the passenger side floor it looked the the car was rummaged thru but everything was closed up so I really paid no attention and knew all my stuff was still in the back. I get back Thursday night and Friday AM the wife and I switch cars back but I still had a set if tires in mine and I left the hunting gear in hers to switch after work. She now notices her gps and 20 dollars are missing which is then I realize the car was broken into I must have left it unlocked. She never uses the gps and oh well and the 20 dollars could be worst considering my bow and hunting clothes are still there. After work I go to get my hunting stuff out of her car and realize my bow is not in the case! It was stolen! Call renter insurance and the cops file a report and claim and I'm miserable! My brother recommended checking craigslist and wouldn't you know it there is a listing from oct 10th with a pic of my bow from a pawn shop around tr corner. Pawn owner was nice enough to give me the bow back Friday night without much hassle. Had an awesome sit Saturday AM and was able to close the deal on a doe. All this after thinking my entire season was lost. Lesson we'll learned!

post-142-0-53637400-1381668312_thumb.jpg

• Like 15