2013 HNY Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

After a nice cold morning two doe bounced into the winter rye plot. Took one. The other stayed in the area a few seconds after the shot broadside. She seemed puzzled, could have doubled but I let her walk. Told myself only one doe off the property this year.

Good hunting.

post-4-0-53284700-1381705217_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I was reading a book when at 5pm I thought I heard a grunt...there had been nothing but squirrels and that stinking wood chuck....ha the gun comes out tomorrow,,,,...I glassed the woods and there was a large doe and fawn...all spooked up...they exited stage lft...when I saw legs moving 140 yrds out...in files some fawn but absolutely huge doe with some yearling doe....Great they will be headed this way ...the fawn already were headed for the big oak behind the blind....when on the scene charges a rowdy 6pt...and he manages to chase all the older doe out of the area...then proceeds to feed...well this doe wasn't look too big to me until she had another doe and fawn walk by...the 6pt was headed our way and she kept a weary on on him...at 20 yrds she finally turned broad side and I let the arrow fly...it hit her and she nearly tipped over and then reared up and flipped over on to the arrow...it had hit her opposite shoulder...she never left that spot until I picked her up with the tractor....

But alas she then promptly sought her revenge...besides breaking the arrow....when returning with the tractor there were to good sized fawn standing over her ....geezzz....thankfully she had no milk so they will be fine and have each other....I glanced back as I drove away with her in the bucket...the two just stood on the edge of some sorghum watching us leave :girlsad: ...Oh well it won't taint the taste!

• Like 15

Here is my first buck with the bow!!  He came in around 5:30 with another smaller buck down a heavily traveled path towards my stand.  The smaller buck split off from the larger buck and started heading towards my 9:00 which is directly downwind of me.  The larger buck kept heading down the trail, stopped at a scrape with a licking branch, took a piss down his back legs and then started heading towards my 12:00.  As this was happening I notice the smaller buck now directly downwind of me is putting his nose in the air and staring in my direction.  The larger buck begins to turn and present me with a quartering shot and what is going through my head is "I better take this shot now before the little buck figures me out and blows"!!!  So I drew back and launched an arrow.....  He jumped and ran ten yards... then took 7 or 8 slow steps and then went out of view disappearing under the canopy of branches. 

Now I am texting my buddies how I screwed up and missed a nice buck and I'm not worthy of sitting in this stand, etc.  So 30 minutes go by and I decide that I at least want to go find my arrow and broad-head.  So now I'm on the ground looking around and I notice blood on the ground!!!!!  As I am having this epiphany I notice the buck laying under a tree about 25 yards away looking at me!!  So I grab my bow and the only shot I had was through his neck so I took it and ended it for him. 

Turns out my first shot went through his one lung and then passed through his gut on the opposite side.  I know I should have just left the woods when I saw him down and waited it out but I couldn't contain my excitement so I took the follow up shot.

Can't wait till November 16th. 

post-3278-0-09270900-1381870404_thumb.jp

post-3278-0-27347900-1381870419_thumb.jp

post-3278-0-72119700-1381870430_thumb.jp

• Like 24

Hi everyone!

Just posted up in the intro section, but figured I'd show off my first deer here too!

Got a late start Sunday morning and headed to the stand about 6:30am.  Got to my stand about 6:50 and started up.  After hanging my backpack and pulling up my bow, I got an itch in my head that I was being watched!  I slowly turn my head and see a decent size deer about 40 yds away!  I dont even have an arrow on the string yet!

It's still kinda dark, so I nock up and just wait. I wont take a shot unless I am 95% sure of a kill, plus, it's technically not sunrise yet. I basically wait and pray that it sticks around!  It wanders around a bit and it starts to get light.  It moves within about 15/20 yds and presents me with a beautiful broadside shot!  I take the shot and THEN start shaking. (Thank you U.S. Army for allowing me to calm my nerves before/during the shot!)

The deer jumps up and sprints back the way it came.  It's my first ever deer with bow OR gun, and I dont even know if I hit it! I don't want to move, just in case he's still close, so I just sit and wait another hour.  Longest hour of my life!  Finally, I get down from my stand and carefully check the impact site.  No blood, no fur, nothing!  I dont see my arrow either, so I still dont have any idea if I even hit it.  I didnt even think about the fact that it wouldnt start bleeding right away.  I start circling and looking for any sign of a hit.  I'm 10 yds from the impact site and still dont see anything.  By chance, I look up and see him just lying there.  He only got about 20 yards away before he collapsed and died!!

Long story short, I'm sitting here right now eating a yummy venison roast glazed in mushroom and onion sauce!

post-3768-0-00898000-1382393257_thumb.jp

6 point, yielded about 75 lbs of meat.

• Like 14

After 9 seasons in the stand I finally got my first Buck after he tried to foolishly chase a doe. Got a nice 35 yard shot. Didn't travel more than 60 yards walking and pausing for a few seconds each time until he bedded down and expired. A nice 8 pointer, at least 3-3.5 years old and a minimum 160+ lb fully dressed out ty8ehaqa.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by The Jerkman
  • Like 16

I went hunting with a buddy last Sun. to some state land I found and he and I had checked out a few months ago.Never hunted there before Sun.I found a nice patch of pines mixed with hardwoods and lots of branches to hide me near a cornfield.I climbed a pine with my climber and was really happy about the spot I had found.About 4:30 I saw a doe and 2 younger deer heading towards the corn about 75 yds. out.Hmm,maybe next time I should move over there I thought. At about 5:45 I looked over my right shoulder behind me and saw a deer on the trail only about 30 -40 yds from me.It was browsing on the leaves and when it moved I saw it had antlers.I tried to turn 180 degrees but I wouldn't have been able to draw my bow and the buck was now walking toward me.I froze and watched to both my dissapointment and amusement as the buck walked through the brush and right to the tree I was in and started eating more green leaves and possibly smelling the tree I was in.Boy was I glad I didn't drop my pull rope back to the ground like I usually do ! I literally could have spit on him.He stayed there for several minutes and I hoped he wouldn't smell the pepper venison sticks I had eaten on the ride there.Finally things went my way and fatty basket buck started walking to my left still oblivious that I was about 12 feet above him.I started to raise my bow,bumped it on the armrest (oops) and when he was at about 5 yds. I got the right pin on him and heard a voice in my head say "aim low".I pulled the release,heard a loud "whack" and watched the buck jump and take off running in an arc through the woods.The sound of breaking sticks and branches sounded like a heard of cattle going through.I found half the arrow with the 100 grain fixed broadhead attached covered in blood 10 yds. from where I shot the buck.The blood trail was not good so with the wet leaves I decided to walk slowly and see if I could see him.About 50 yds. from my stand I saw a white belly and cautiously approached with an arrow nocked.He was dead with the fletching half of the arrow inside his ribcage.The arrow went in behind the shoulder,broke a rib and exited in post-491-0-40948300-1382489579_thumb.jpgfront of the opposite shoulder/low neck.Lots of internal bleeding.This was only my second buck ever taken with a bow and the first with my new Bear bow, I will remember it for a long time and so will my buddy because he helped me drag it back to his truck in the dark.I love bowhunting .

• Like 18

Last night headed out to the stand around 2:30 looked like a good night overcast light rain/ sleet. Get to the stand 3:00 climb up hang my backpack up getting ready to pull my bow up and 4 doe walk in on me. Sat and waited them out finally left around 3:30. Pulled my bow up got setup finally 4:00 comes around hit the grunt call 3 times hear a crutch behind me look and there he was coming right in. Gave me a 20 yard shot ran 40 yards and dropped! First buck with my bow! post-3778-13826207018884_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 24