2013 HNY Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Well, proud to have been the 1st poster on this thread with an 8pt on 9/28, now happy to post a second buck of the bow season, this one shot in the southern zone, a first for me as I've normally only been lucky enough to drill 1 buck per bow season. Got this basket 7pt on Sunday afternoon!2013Buck2_zpsca305238.jpg

• Like 9

I was able to fill my antlerless tag saturday morning. It had been a slow morning as far as deer movement, so I pulled out my cell phone to text my dad to see if he was seeing anything. After exchanging a few texts I looked up to see a good doe standing in the middle of the plot. After standing there and looking around for a few minutes she turns and walks directly towards my tree and stops at like 5 yards and starts feeding. After waiting a minute or two to make sure there wasn't a buck following her, I decided to take the shot. The weekend before I missed a coyote, so I made a point to really take my time, hit my anchor, bend at the waist, and cut the arrow loose. Saw the arrow hit high behind her shoulder and she ran off like 25 yards and stopped to look around. After a few seconds her back legs started going limp and she crashed down. Shooting a Bear Truth at about 66 lbs. ICS Hunter .340 arrows, with 100 grain Magnus Stinger Buzzcut broadhead. The arrow I used was the same one I used to get the elk I posted earlier in the thread - think I found a lucky arrow

1390756_10151914741297114_380648139_n.jp

• Like 11

I punched my archery buck tag this past weekend, bittersweet, however. I am not disappointed with the buck, but it is going to hit hard in the opportunity cost area because of the bucks targeted this season. Not a case of ground shrinkage; a case of mistaken identity, maybe. I had seconds to make the call and I chose to let loose.

I encountered the buck Friday afternoon walking in as we locked eyes as he was bedded. He let me snap some pics of him in his bed. Fast forward to Sunday, and while hunting with a few other friends, I chose what to me was the "out of the way stand" near that buck's bed that had been recently hunted, and I merely had not thought about taking him as he was not ready. This stand has a path leading down to a valley where several large bucks, one with solid brow tines, had congregated in a scraping area with more bedding area on a far side ridge. I was not expecting much from this spot in all honesty.

All was quiet until this bucks pops up under my nose and in the split second I saw the brow tines I went into kill mode, thinking I knew what buck it was. As soon as the arrow cleared the buck and I moved my eyes back to the rack, I knew what had happened before the buck bedded down in 20 yards and expired.

Perhaps adding to my frustration a bit is the fact I did not make plans to go to Ohio for the first time in years because I felt like for the very first time in my life that I had enough caliber bucks here at home to hunt where traveling made little sense. I also haven't historically had solid gun season ground - I've lived and died by the archery season most of my time in NY.

I once read a saying that quickly became a life mantra for me, "Good is the enemy of great." While it's a solid buck most hunters would be beaming about, I had immediate reservations that have subsided a bit over the past few days. I'm resigned to the fact I was good, not great, this archery season.

I have all of next week off and now my focus goes toward enjoying the sights and sounds of the rut and helping a couple close friends burn holes in a few giants. Also looking forward to getting another euro mount done and have this guy camo-dipped in Predator Fall Gray or Brown Deception.

Rest assured, I'm shooting a flipping monster in gun season.

post-575-0-12063100-1383137829_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-54980800-1383137876_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-14031600-1383137896_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-77839900-1383137904_thumb.jpg

• Like 27

Just want to start out by saying, this is the first time ever hunting on Halloween day. in all my years i never was able to get out and one of the things i always wanted to do was harvest a buck on this day.

i slipped into my stand this morning around 5:40am, not 15 minutes later i hear walking around from behind me and i figured id start getting my mask on and get ready. the foots steps seemed to have stopped and i did not hear anything walk off so i knew what ever was there is still there... at first light i notice a few doe walking in from behind me, they were standing there in the dark the entire time. For some reason the doe were all corralled up in this thick area literally around my tree. Standing for awhile, grazing leaves and the yearling were even playing together. ive never seen deer hang around so long, it looked like they all sticking close by eachother. i know from my past few sits in this tree these doe were being run pretty hard so i didnt know if that had anything to do with it. at around 8:45 most of the deer had moved off and i sat there for another 15 minutes not seeing anything. It felt like it was one of those morning where anything can happen and at any time, nice overcast and no wind. i decided to hit the MAD Hyper Growl and do a sequence of long grunts followed by a snort wheeze then another long grunt. i waited 10 seconds or so and repeated. No sooner then i get my call back in my pocket i hear crashing through the woods and heavy steps, no doubt a buck coming so i get ready. This buck squirts in fast looking for what made the calls. Hes turning his head fast in every direction. He then steps into my lane at roughly 30 yards broad side but with his off leg far back in mid step. As i release my arrow it felt great, i watched as the fireknock hits it mark but no pass through. i knew the arrow stopped in his off leg after impact. The deer kicks, and makes a dash and stops 40 yards from where i hit him and crashes down. the whole thing lasted 8 under 10 seconds, text book im thinking. i was so surprised i could even see him go down in the thick cover i am hunting. upon finding him hung up in brush i could see where the arrow hit the off leg confirming my thoughts. i have this deer on trail cam from the past 2 weeks and he seemed to frequent past this stand. My origonal thought was i was going to pass this deer when i saw him. when i saw him come in this morning i thought he was slightly bigger then what i thought and being halloween, this was my buck! After 2 previous seasons trying to iron out the RIGHT tree and learn how i was going to make the perfect ambush after all the countless encounters with deer over the 120 and 130" mark, i was finally able to get one to feel comfrotable enough to step into a lane offering the shot anyone could ask for. The rage did its job and simply ate him up! breaking bone in and out with ease... after the gut job i can see i took out lung and almost cut the heart in half.

for those who say the job starts after the shot, well your right. the drag out and effort to get him out of this spot thats a half mile in was fun to say the least, after he was tagged and all loaded up a sence of accomplishement had hit me. i was in the woods by myself today and did not have my partner with me so getting him in the truck was interesting lol

with things heating up in the woods and another tag to fill you know where ill be! good luck to all you guys!

post-252-0-25322100-1383239102.jpg

post-252-0-85049500-1383239114.jpg

post-252-0-89296600-1383239124.jpg

post-252-0-77264700-1383239132.jpg

• Like 21

post-2630-0-62362100-1383570233_thumb.jppost-2630-0-44460200-1383570319_thumb.jppost-2630-0-32074500-1383570490_thumb.jppost-2630-0-59095100-1383570538_thumb.jpSaturday (10/26) - Morning hunt in the Creek Ladder Stand; Temps in the 40's and breezy with stronger gusts out of the SW. I was hoping they would be moving with the rut creeping up on us and with the storm front that's due to move in later in the day....And they were moving - -Seen a coyote and 5 bucks! At about 8:20 AM I heard some grunting mixed in the wind that sounded like it came from somewhere in front of me. I tried picking apart the landscape in front of me. Then finally some movement about 40 - 50 yards off caught my eye and I could see deer legs moving...then I saw antlers. It was a buck and coming my way. He was grunting and moving slowly in the right direction. As he was getting closer the binocs confirmed it was a SHOOTER through the thick brush but he had stopped moving. Then I saw some deer legs to my left. It was a smaller buck, a little 3 or 4 point. The next thing I know the shooter buck runs at the smaller buck. Now I could see that the shooter was a mature 8 point. The smaller buck ran towards me and went by less than 10 yards from my tree but the 8 didn't follow. Instead, he ambled back towards the thick brushy area and started to rub a tree. Then while watching him I saw another deer coming through the area. A small 6 point was walking towards the 8 point. But the 8 wasn't going to have any of that - the next thing I know, the 8 point ran at the 6 point and chased him right by my tree. Then the 8 point circled back towards the thick brushy area. Now the 6 point was walking right behind my tree - less than 5 yards from my tree; thankfully the wind direction was right. As the 6 point crossed behind me, the 8 point didn't like him circling towards the thick brush area again and the 8 point started walking towards him and grunting...Perfect...right towards my shooting lane. Now the 8 point is standing less than 20 yards from me but with a tree directly in front of his vitals. I stood at full draw for what seemed like an eternity waiting for him to take that final fatal step...but he didn't. Instead he turned directly away and walked in line of that darn tree. As I was thinking about blowing on my grunt tube, I heard movement behind me again...Oh yeah, that little 6 point was still there. Now when he walked again, the 8 point had enough of that. He turned again, heading to the 6 point and again heading towards my shooting lane. This time he walked like a deer with a mission towards the 6 pointer but again managed to stop behind a tree. As I was at full draw again, he finally did it...He took the step I needed exposing his chest region. He was about 18 - 20 yards away and staring at that little 6 point. I let the arrow fly......THWACK; God I love that sound of a good hit. The buck ran towards the pines and out of sight but I heard a crashing sound within seconds of him running away. I was hoping the crash was him going down and not just running through the pines. I was concerned about the shot because the buck had bolted towards the 6 point seemingly at about the same time I released my arrow. I let my arrow fly at about 8:45 and I waited until 10:00 to be sure since I was concerned about the hit. Funny thing...while sitting there two other smaller bucks, a small 6 that could have been that 6 from earlier and a 4 point came through the area. When I got down and went to the spot the buck was standing at the shot...No blood and No arrow. Oh boy...Not liking this. I got on my knees and looked in the direction that I thought I heard the crash and ... Oh Yeah...white belly just into the pines! As I headed that way now, I came across some decent blood and found my arrow. Then, I walked up to him...Oh Yeah...a nice mature 8 point bucK! Love this time of year! Good Luck all.....Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, & Have Fun!

• Like 15

After only harvesting one deer and missing several last archery season I bought a new PSE Bowmadness XS, Rage 2 Blades and a Rangefinder...here are my results:

10/02 PM 7F Lease: 15 YDS Lung-Heart-Lung Pass Thru...40 YD Recovery

post-1622-0-13735500-1383651369_thumb.jp

10/11 AM 7J Public: 20 YDS Tight, Deflected hit Femoral, 20 YD Recovery Dropped in Sight:

post-1622-0-18912400-1383651521_thumb.jp

10/20 AM 7F Lease: 15 YDS, Double Lung Pass Thru, 80 YD Recovery:

post-1622-0-79926200-1383653005_thumb.jp

11/03 AM 7J Public: Big-Bodied Buck, Short/Thick-Tined 8 Point, 10 YDS, Double Lung Stopped in Opposite Leg, 60 YD Recovery Dropped in Sight:

post-1622-0-02832400-1383651593_thumb.jp

post-1622-0-58459200-1383653042_thumb.jp

My grandfather is dealing with some cancer so I am hunting for two this year, he has been appreciative of the meat, which is the primary reason I hunt, besides the enjoyment of it all. 

Tagged out of my own until SZ Regular, Still have my wifes 7J and 7F DMP's and may head to Ithaca to hunt some DMFA...otherwise I am not going to hunt too much until the 23rd.  Nice deer so far everyone.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 9

This is my 5th season hunting, but my 1st with a bow. Up until this year I would only get out a handful of times a season with no luck. Well, Oct 26th was my day.

It was an extremely windy day. I was with a friend on their property. The tree stand I was in was about 10 yards into the woods from a corn field. All morning I was seeing deer behind my tree but the tree was wider than me so a shot was nonexistent. Finally around 9:15 I was tired of just watching them run around behind me and hopped into the tree. Balancing on 3 huge branches and waited for the biggest doe in the group to walk into the open. I laid back, Drew, sat up and realized there was another branch in my face. Scooting down the branch a little while holding my draw I found a clean lane. I ended up taking the shot at 30 yards and double lunged her. She ran about 50 yards into a swamp and expired.

I'm so happy my first harvest was with a bow. What a feeling! I'm hooked on bow hunting. I don't even want to take the shotgun out this year.

20131026_101349_zps13b829b8.jpg

• Like 14

Hey fellow Archermen and women.

My Brother and I drove down to camp Thursday evening, didn't get set-up and in bed until 1 am.  I knew I wouldn't want to get up in the morning but obviously the rut is starting to get under way.  Plus, we haven't been to camp since Oct. 15th or something.  We both had the itch.

I'll fast forward, in the stand 6:30, at 8:08 I see this buck behind me, he's at about 30 in lots of trees walking away, he's about to cross the powerline that runs through our property which would put him at 50-70 yards.  Well he does what we all pray for, he picks up the scent drag at about 40 or so yards, snaps his head 180* and walks right in to about 17 yards.  I placed a nice 100 grain Muzzy through both lungs, and he expired within 70-100 yards.

My best buck to date, I'd say he weighed in the ballpark 175-185, he's a brute and even with incredible adrenaline, it still took a while to drag him out.

I'm back home and I'm going back for a doe Tuesday-Friday.  Good Luck to ALL!!!

post-2706-0-87945300-1384098895_thumb.jp

• Like 16

So with having a job and only being able to hunt the weekends I decided to take today and the rest of the week off to finish out my bow season in hopes of getting a buck.  I couldnt have asked for a more perfect morning with the snow and the temperatures.  Got in my climber early, sitting there about 25 ft up freezing my you know whats off, i hear leaves and twigs snapping across the ravine behind me about 80 yds away.  Already standing up in my climber trying to stay warm I turned around and saw a deers body, grabbed my binos, and as soon as i could get a good look through the trees i could see it was a decent buck.  I grunted until he heard me, he stopped, made a hard right, headed down the ravine angling back towards me, finally he gets within eye sight so i draw back my bow, he crosses another creek bottom that dumps into the ravine and he decides to stop directly underneath my climber.  i sat there at full draw for what felt like an eternity but realistically about 3 mins while he stood looking around.  After nearly missfiring due to all the layers i was wearing i let off and turned around, snow falling onto his back off my boots and climber, he begins to walk up the steady slope of the ravine my stands at, still no shot, he begins to turn broadside up the hill so i started mewing, he stepped in an opening between a clump of trees, it was now or never.  it all happened so fast, as soon as i thought he was stopped i drew back, put my bottom and middle pin where i thought the vitals were and let the arrow fly.  he took off like a bat out of hell i could see i hit him right sqyare in the middle of his body.  I watched him run back into the open bottom of the ravine and could no longer hear movement.  i assumed he bedded down in the tall grass, so i waited about 15 mins, slowly made my way down the tree shaking like a leaf the entire time.  went to where i made the shot and couldnt find a speck of blood, determined to find the start of his blood trail i went down to where i saw him jump the creek hoping that leap would produce blood and to my amazement i could see what i thought was his rack sticking above the grass, but i wasnt sure i thought maybe it was a log and some branches, but a closer look i could see his body through the grass.  he had piled up right where i last heard him and caught a glimpse of him.  turns out it was a 50yd shot, entered his right side through the last two ribs and made its way through his liver and both lungs and the opposite side of his rib cage only coming short of 100% pass through by the thickness of his cape.  When i found him his front leg was tangled up in his rack.  he was dead 20 seconds after i shot him.  arrow stirred his inner workings pretty darn good.  he is an anomaly of a buck for the area i hunt, the taxidermist who lives up the road is darn sure he is atleast 3.5 years old. he rough scored him at 130.5... ill take that any day of the week.

post-547-0-01628100-1384362724_thumb.jpgpost-547-0-35447300-1384362734_thumb.jpgpost-547-0-77977700-1384362744_thumb.jpgpost-547-0-34357500-1384362754_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

A buddy of mine got his first bow buck and best buck to date on Saturday. He called me at around 10 Saturday morning saying he shot a buck but needed help tracking. He said he tracked for a few hundred yards, bumped the bedding buck and then couldn't tell where it went after that. He says he shot it in both lungs. 

Not sure how it ran so far with a double lung shot, I get there and we start tracking. He was hunting a stand 200 yards into the woods and saw nothing. Came out to his Jeep to leave and two 8's and 2 spikes ran buy, and he shot one of the 8's. He tracked it 200 yards to his stand (LOL) and it kept going. Blood is great at first, some big spots and big pools and a lot of disturbed leaves so we could follow his path pretty easily.

Then the trail went dry and he said, "I already followed him to his bed, let's check it out." So we go to his bed in the all grass and prickers and sure enough, a lot of blood. Saw some spots on the sides of prickers which told us the direction he went off his bed.

I noticed 4 clumps of leaves that were overturned, about 8 or 10 feet apart which looked like the buck hopped down the hill. Found another few spots of blood and the buck lay dead 50 yards away. In all, we tracked it like 4 or 500 yards.

He shot it through both shoulders and had a pass through, I wonder how it ran so far. It was a fun track and was great practice.

It looks like a 1.5 year old with great genetics. Body size was short and small.

post-568-0-51454500-1384363882_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-83185700-1384364065_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackradio
  • Like 13