Are cellular trail cams worth it?

Merlot

I have never owned a trail cam, but am considering a type of cam that transmits pics via internet. Kind of pricey, especially with people with sticky fingers lurking about. Wondered if there are people out there with some knowledge on this product. Thanks.

I have never owned a trail cam, but am considering a type of cam that transmits pics via internet. Kind of pricey, especially with people with sticky fingers lurking about. Wondered if there are people out there with some knowledge on this product. Thanks.

no..in my opinion it sucks the life right out of hunting.

no..in my opinion it sucks the life right out of hunting.

What precisely? Different strokes for different folks, most certainly. Some people shoot bows they build and broadheads they knap.

One thing I will say, is that I haven't seen someone try one out, and then not like it (other than a product/service malfunction).

Merlot, I have alot of experience with commerical cams and specifically some MMS or data transfer cams of the type you are asking about.

What do you want to accomplish with one?

Edited by phade

With the number of hunters declining and pressure from anti-hunting groups its becoming harder and harder to find time or a place to hunt. I say if it helps you get out there and hunt, promotes hunting while saving you time in our ever increasing busy lives, then go for it! There are plenty of things sucking the life out of hunting, technology isn't one of them in my mind.

What precisely? Different strokes for different folks, most certainly. Some people shoot bows they build and broadheads they knap.

One thing I will say, is that I haven't seen someone try one out, and then not like it (other than a product/service malfunction).

Merlot, I have alot of experience with commerical cams and specifically some MMS or data transfer cams of the type you are asking about.

I do not live on the property I hunt and I do not want to spend considerable time and wear and tear on the vehicle just driving up to check on trail cam pics, plus my wife prefers that I not go to camp that often anyhow.

I have to plan my hunts carefully and get the most out of the time I can squeeze in at camp. For once...maybe just once...I would like to get to see what's up in my little neck of the woods ahead of time and in front of my 'puter screen, instead of stomping over hill and dale, before heading out to hunt. I'm nearing 60 and I just want to up my odds a bit and, of course, enjoy a glass of Merlot at the end of the day...wait a minute...I already do enjoy my merlot and Steak...You get my drift...I hope..

With almost 60 years of all kind of hunting in N.Y. except for the last 7 years never used a trail camera. out of the last 7 years I only had 1 buck that I had pictures of on the trail camera come any where near a Bow shot and that was a 4 pointer ( can't shoot them ) where I live AR. I have had everything from spikes to and including 10 pointers.Seems as if the become nocternal during hunting season.Prire to that I think I enjoyed hunting more and we filled our tags almost every year.Private and state co ops included.

I would get zero enjoyment out of scouting from behind a computer screen, but that's just me.......I've been hunting my area long enough to know the productive spots, and am willing to roll the dice and take what is offered. I'm not obsessed with big antlers, and if that's the reason someone wants to do this fine, but not for me...........my guess is, if you're going this route you already know it's a good spot, otherwise you would have to travel up anyway and move the camera when you realize the area is non productive.

Haven't heard to much about them but theres something exciting about pulling the memory card out of my camera after its been sitting a few weeks and seeing what pops up on my screen. I set up my cams last week and don't plan on touching them until I can get up there the first weekend of bow and check them out. Kind of adds to the excitement in my opinion.

I have the covert black ops cam. I can send pics or videos to my phone and computer. within 2 minutes of picture being taken I know what is going on. It could be a deer, or a bear, or a trespasser. for $10 a month for 1000 texts/emails its worth not going in to contaminate a great spot with scent. wingsupply.com has great prices on this cam. At 270 bucks I dont think thats to bad of a price. oh , and the pictures are high quality too. You can also set it up so anyone trying to access the cam has to know the access code or it will not work. hope this helps with your decision

• Like 1

I have the covert black ops cam. I can send pics or videos to my phone and computer. within 2 minutes of picture being taken I know what is going on. It could be a deer, or a bear, or a trespasser. for $10 a month for 1000 texts/emails its worth not going in to contaminate a great spot with scent. wingsupply.com has great prices on this cam. At 270 bucks I dont think thats to bad of a price. oh , and the pictures are high quality too. You can also set it up so anyone trying to access the cam has to know the access code or it will not work. hope this helps with your decision

Minor detail - you cannot send videos; only photos.

I do not live on the property I hunt and I do not want to spend considerable time and wear and tear on the vehicle just driving up to check on trail cam pics, plus my wife prefers that I not go to camp that often anyhow.

I have to plan my hunts carefully and get the most out of the time I can squeeze in at camp. For once...maybe just once...I would like to get to see what's up in my little neck of the woods ahead of time and in front of my 'puter screen, instead of stomping over hill and dale, before heading out to hunt. I'm nearing 60 and I just want to up my odds a bit and, of course, enjoy a glass of Merlot at the end of the day...wait a minute...I already do enjoy my merlot and Steak...You get my drift...I hope..

It sounds like one would work well for your scenario.

The biggest challenge is making sure you have reception at the place where you plan to set th camera. You need either at&t or t-mobile - don't worry about contracts, etc. Just see where the nearest tower is to your parcel.

hell i wish i could afford a couple a these... with all that i got goin on with school, clinicals, and presentations, I would love to be able to see whats in the woods without driving all the way out there.. not that i don't love to scout, but hey life's hectic sometimes... especially around rut time so i could choose my stands wisely with day time act.... !   

Here's a yearling doe yesterday evening, a couple minutes before I shot her. I forgot that she walked by the camera until I looked at my phone once I got out of the tree. I was 30 yards beyond the stone wall in the right side of the picture. This camera had sent me ~500 pictures since 8/24. Most in the last 2 weeks after the acorns started dropping...

post-50-0-47112300-1379700101_thumb.jpg