Archery Tag

the blur

If you buy archery/ or muzzleloader you get either sex tag. If you buy hunting you get buck only tag

If you buy both archery and muzzleloader then you get an either sex tag and a anterless only tag valid anywhere in state but vaild only during archery and muzzleloader/crossbow seasons

• Like 4

Please confirm:  my archery tag is either sex, and thus: I can take only 1 buck all season on Long Island 1C,  and then another buck with my regular season rifle tag.    

So I can get 2 bucks, one with my bow, and another for rifle.

and then whatever DMP's I happen to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the blur said:

Please confirm:  my archery tag is either sex, and thus: I can take only 1 buck all season on Long Island 1C,  and then another buck with my regular season rifle tag.    

Yes

4 hours ago, the blur said:

also if you use your archery tag on a buck, don't kill a buck during gun with your regular season AND you bought your MZ privilege, you can use your regular season buck tag during MZ. (please double check LI, not as familiar with that part of the state).

The way I like to look at it is this. There are 3 season in NY. Archery, Regular season (most guys use a gun and call this gun season), then Muzzleloader (archery also allowed). In those 3 season, if you buy the right tags you can kill 2 bucks in any of the 3 seasons, but you CANNOT kill 2 bucks in the same season.

Archery & Regular

Archery & MZ

Reg & MZ

Another interesting point is that it's never illegal to bowhunt and you can also use a mz during regular but not a mz during archery, only the late archery/mz season.

lol

Not so sure about that. You should check Long Island regs.

In Westchester (3S) you can shoot 2 bow bucks on 10/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Belo said:

also if you use your archery tag on a buck, don't kill a buck during gun with your regular season AND you bought your MZ privilege, you can use your regular season buck tag during MZ. (please double check LI, not as familiar with that part of the state).

The way I like to look at it is this. There are 3 season in NY. Archery, Regular season (most guys use a gun and call this gun season), then Muzzleloader (archery also allowed). In those 3 season, if you buy the right tags you can kill 2 bucks in any of the 3 seasons, but you CANNOT kill 2 bucks in the same season.

Archery & Regular

Archery & MZ

Reg & MZ

Another interesting point is that it's never illegal to bowhunt and you can also use a mz during regular but not a mz during archery, only the late archery/mz season.

lol

You can kill 2 bucks in the late archery/muzzleloader  season if you still have them

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

You can kill 2 bucks in the late archery/muzzleloader  season if you still have them

yeah that's a good point, I guess I didn't think about it that way. I wonder if that's ever been done though. Hunt for 8 or 9 weeks without killing a buck, and then kill 2 in 10 days lol. I would almost feel bad that they survived that long.

8 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah that's a good point, I guess I didn't think about it that way. I wonder if that's ever been done though. Hunt for 8 or 9 weeks without killing a buck, and then kill 2 in 10 days lol. I would almost feel bad that they survived that long.

Done it several times in muzzleloader..  ive also used the buck regular tag as a doe tag valid that way in late season...everyone seems to forget it becones either sex in muzzleloader 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Done it several times in muzzleloader..  ive also used the buck regular tag as a doe tag valid that way in late season...everyone seems to forget it becones either sex in muzzleloader 

your regular season antlered tag converts to either sex in mz? I'm not sure about that... 

23 hours ago, Belo said:

I'd love to kill 2 bucks on 9/15 in CT and then 2 bucks on 10/1 in NY. It will never happen, but it's legal.

I always wonder what the guys on those tv shows that kill like 6 a year traveling the country do with it all. 

Shoulder mounts or euros. There’s a bunch of guys on bowsite killing 6-8 bow bucks a year across several states every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blur, Long Island is a separate animal First no rifle only shotgun. Second I think you need private land or you have to go into a lottery for public land tags and I think for Suffolk residents only. The good news is I think they are still giving out dmps if you use the ones you have which you only mentioned archery apply for doe permits also in 1C. Good luck but mind the ticks.

44 minutes ago, hunter said:

Blur, Long Island is a separate animal First no rifle only shotgun. Second I think you need private land or you have to go into a lottery for public land tags and I think for Suffolk residents only. The good news is I think they are still giving out dmps if you use the ones you have which you only mentioned archery apply for doe permits also in 1C. Good luck but mind the ticks.

No lottery for public tags. The shotgun season in January is a pain in the arse with reservations and whatnot, but certain places you don't need a reservation or even a daily access permit. You just need to make sure you're the first one in the parking spot.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:14 AM, the blur said:

You can shoot 2 bucks on the island. The regular season and bow season buck tags can be used. In fact you can use your reg season buck tag on oct 1st and then use your bow either sex tag after if you chose to do it that way

• Like 1

lol

While the above it true, you would still use your "gun tag" for a bow killed buck if killed during the "gun season"
The tag is tied to the season, not the actual weapon used.
In other words if you didn't punch your bow buck tag during bow and then shoot a buck during regular season with a bow, it's still a regular season buck tag used. You cannot tag with bow tag and then kill another buck with gun during regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Since 3S only has 1 regular season(10/1-12/31) which is bow only, 2 bucks any day in that period...2 bucks on 12/31 would be more wild than 2 on 10/1!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot 12/31 but not recovered until Jan 1?