ATV Guys

phade

$2200 buck you better snag that fast.  Just make sure with that you use the correct oil when you do a oil change. I know my Sportsman 500 HO takes 0W-40 synthetic. I am not sure if that year is when the fixed the cam shaft issue or not. They had a few years where there exhaust lob on the cam shaft would wear down, and the motor would just back fire. They updated the cam with 2 extra holes that where larger in size.

$2200 buck you better snag that fast.  Just make sure with that you use the correct oil when you do a oil change. I know my Sportsman 500 HO takes 0W-40 synthetic. I am not sure if that year is when the fixed the cam shaft issue or not. They had a few years where there exhaust lob on the cam shaft would wear down, and the motor would just back fire. They updated the cam with 2 extra holes that where larger in size.

Already done deal for $2k.

Let me know more about that backfire issue if you can (as far as years affected). Its a good machine w/low hours.

Brakes seemed like the only thing to look at. No leaks apparent, so who knows. I know dirt can get inside the seals and create blockages or the master cyl. could be going maybe? Either one isn't too bad of a job to do. May not even be an issue as it simply wasn't ran much and was stored inside.

Looks like that cam issue was fixed around 01/02 model years, so I should be good to go on that topic. Saw some pics of those cams...whew, that's ugly.

Yeah, a quick c-list search showed most of these 400s are selling around 3,200-almost 4k with double the hours on it. Got the friend discount.

I'll let you drive out when you shoot a buck, lol.

Edited by phade

I have the '03 500. Of course mine is green, not pink or blue or whatever the color was...lol

What type of hitch does it have on it? If is just the straight hitch for a ball and you think you would want an actual 2" receiver let me know and I will show you pics of the Mod I did on mine. Can out mint and no more screwing around.

If you need ramps to go pick it up I have a set you can borrow.

Sweet, thanks Culver. I will likely take you up on that offer to check out the hitch mod. Maybe the ramps, too, depending on when I pick it up and if I can get ahold of a friend who may have a set. I'm not planning on doing heavy work with it, but will likely get a small disc, or even the Groundhog Maxx. Most plots I would work are very small. 1/3 acre or less. So, I want the hitch stout.

I bought a 1998 Sportmans 500 HO off my neighbor because he bought a new one and the old one backfired and did not run. He sold it to me for $400 bucks and about $400 dollar more in parts for the cam and rocker and oil, and $100 bucks to a friend of mine that machine was running like a champ. One other issue the Sportsman seem to have is the front steering seems hard to turn or locked up. There is fluid in the front hubs for the 4 wheel drive and the hubs need to be cleaned inside  and fluid changed.

Picked it up today. Runs great...just needed some brake fluid and bled the front brakes...nothing wrong with it.

Still thinking about a trailer?  My buddy has one for sale in Ontario County.  I took some pics today........$300 takes it.

PM me if your interested and want pics.