New Toys

heavuser

After more issues trying to find a decent bow shop in the lower hudson valley I decided to take a full dive into making my own at home garage bow shop. I rather learn from my own mistakes than keep trying to fix the mistakes of others.

OMP Versa Cradle Micro Tune Bow Vise
R.S. Bowvise NOK EZ Arrow Level
HTM Precision Set Up Level
Hamskea Easy Third Axis Level
Last Chance EZ Bow Press (onsale!!)
LCA Draw Board

Still need to figure out what fletching jig to buy, after that I think I will have 90% of what I need to tune and maintain my current and future bows. Like most of the hobbies I get into archery has hit me in full addiction mode. 

All you garage bow shop dwellers, any tools you recommend as a must have?

• Like 4

On 8/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, heavuser said:

After more issues trying to find a decent bow shop in the lower hudson valley I decided to take a full dive into making my own at home garage bow shop. I rather learn from my own mistakes than keep trying to fix the mistakes of others.

LCA Draw Board

Still need to figure out what fletching jig to buy, after that I think I will have 90% of what I need to tune and maintain my current and future bows. Like most of the hobbies I get into archery has hit me in full addiction mode. 

You do go all in,wow. That should be a good call in the long run. I would have gotten a setup myself if there wasn't a great one man shop in my area.

Enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

Some small things you’ll want to get -

Serving  tool ,  center serving and end serving spools . 

Arrow  roller , to spin arrows to check broad head  alignment .

Arrow squaring tool , to square up the ends of a freshly cut arrow . 

D - loop rope . 

String splitter , handy little tool to install peep sights , drop away rest cords .

A scale to see and or adjust poundage on a bow . 

I made the jump 20 + years ago best thing I ever did . Best part is once  you get comfortable working on bows , you can do work on friends gear and help pay for your equipment . I never asked for a penny they always were more than happy to pay me . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

On 8/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, heavuser said:

I have both a bitzenburger fletching jig and the vane master pro from LCA.  The vane master pro is my go-to - super easy to use with a lot of adjustability.

LCA Draw Board

Did you not like B and B archery ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/29/2022 at 10:09 PM, Shoots100 said:

If my bow breaks, I just buy another bow.

It's good to have the equipment to do your own work if your into the sport that much.

Ya I’ve had three bows in 34 years of bow hunting , seldom change anything on them , it’s seldom I have any work done on one , idk a string every 5 or 10 years ? I have arrows made every few years though .

58 minutes ago, Chef said:

Did you not like B and B archery ?

It wasn't that I had anything against any of the bow shops, I just know with my ocd I can do a better job if I have the tools I need to tinker. 

When I got my vise the first thing I checked was my first, second, and 3rd axis..... All were off by a good amount. 

• Like 1

It wasn't that I had anything against any of the bow shops, I just know with my ocd I can do a better job if I have the tools I need to tinker. 
When I got my vise the first thing I checked was my first, second, and 3rd axis..... All were off by a good amount. 

I have things against a few of the shops… which one set up your bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B&B guys were real nice. Took the time to go the extra mile after I had to bring the bow back to them.

I had an issue with a vibration noise though, when I called about it the guy said to bring it in. Before he hung up I heard him say to his buddies "this fucking guy" then click. That last tidbit was the deciding factor in dropping over a grand in tools. I get it though, I'm one of those type of guys that likes things to be perfect. I don't mind paying, just do it right. Some people find that annoying. Both shops even went as far as to tell me that broadhead or bare shaft tuning is useless and that they don't even do it on their own bows( I call BS )......  Unfortunately with these high volume sellers it seems like they just don't have that type of time. I'll most certainly be buying my next bow from them, I'll just do the setup on my own. 

A shop is never going to be able to dedicate the time you can into micro tuning your bow and then keeping it there.

I agree with equipment listed. Especially the arrow saw and squaring tool is important. I use insert weights so i have the long wrenches that side down the arrow shaft from the nock end. The drawboard you picked up super important that many people skip. Omp versa cradle is awesome. I love mine.

Best of luck tinkering to the point you go four steps forward and three steps back. lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

A shop is never going to be able to dedicate the time you can into micro tuning your bow and then keeping it there.

I agree with equipment listed. Especially the arrow saw and squaring tool is important. I use insert weights so i have the long wrenches that side down the arrow shaft from the nock end. The drawboard you picked up super important that many people skip. Omp versa cradle is awesome. I love mine.

Best of luck tinkering to the point you go four steps forward and three steps back. lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That last  sentience is so true .. 

• Like 1