Shooting Tripods

Farflung

have any of you folks had any experience with shooting tripods. I'm considering one of the BOG Deathgrip Shooting Tripods or the Primos Trigger Sticks tripods. Are they heavy, are they stable, are they well made. I see them in use in blinds and for crossbows, but our hunting crew does not use them.  

The primos trigger stick tripod is very light.  I have one and have used it for deer and predators.  I ended up with a heavier duty tripod for predators but for occasional use (vs a rifle mounted tripod for predator hunting), the primos is great.  Its pretty stable for being so light.  My hunting buddy uses the BOG and likes it a lot also.

• Like 2

If on the move and shooting mid range out to 300 yards, Primos trigger stick with Hog saddle.

While it isn't the most stable tripod at full height, it makes up for it in weight and maneuverability.

If you want to make it more stable, you can use a trigger stick monopod under the buttstock.

I later added a bungee cord to secure the monopod.

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.82acbc20f2191c44606d4db56108eb22.JPG

If sitting in one spot doing over watch where longer precision shots may occur, Night stalker or Bog pod with Acra rail mount.

Once the Apex triggerstick becomes available, I'll sell the Night stalker.

5 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

If on the move and shooting mid range out to 300 yards, Primos trigger stick with Hog saddle.

While it isn't the most stable tripod at full height, it makes up for it in weight and maneuverability.

If you want to make it more stable, you can use a trigger stick monopod under the buttstock.

I later added a bungee cord to secure the monopod.

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.82acbc20f2191c44606d4db56108eb22.JPG

If sitting in one spot doing over watch where longer precision shots may occur, Night stalker or Bog pod with Acra rail mount.

Once the Apex triggerstick becomes available, I'll sell the Night stalker.

Had not seen the apex.  It looks really nice!   

• Like 1

The bog pod death grip works good Certainly not the best but a good overall tripod clamp system. But the more and more you clamp down with the locking knobs they slowly strip/lose grip. They have plastic components inside. I have one and worked great for a year or two.. For ground blinds they are great but take up a little room and are a bit heavy carrying any distance... The primos trigger stick is another great setup. as long as your seated, the trigger stick works really well. Even standing.. 

I use tripods at night for Coyote hunting, but have over 700$ invested into my tripod. I used the carbon legs off my bog pod death grip and put a ball head on top of it instead for my backup/stepsons tripod. My death grip now mounts to the ball head eliminating the cheap system BOG uses. I can help you there if your ever in trouble with yours if you go that route.   

thank you folks for the  advice/experiences with the  tripods. I looked at both options yesterday. I think I will get the Primos Trigger Stick from Bass Pro, try it for a few days and if not satisfied, go with the BOG tripod. 

LET EM GROW- Thanks for the tip on plastic innards on the BOG death grip. And I agree that it is fairly heavy, which is  a consideration in that it will initally be used in a spot-and-stalk situation.

You will need to buy some type of rifle clamp style accessory if you plan on having a steadier shot with any of the tripods.

I use a hog saddle, as it's made out of metal, but there are some other clamps on Egads that are made out of injection plastic and they seem to work well too.

Another nice feature of the trigger stick, is that it has QD mounting plates.

Let us know how you like it ?

13 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

You will need to buy some type of rifle clamp style accessory if you plan on having a steadier shot with any of the tripods.

I use a hog saddle, as it's made out of metal, but there are some other clamps on Egads that are made out of injection plastic and they seem to work well too.

Another nice feature of the trigger stick, is that it has QD mounting plates.

Let us know how you like it ?

Be careful of the heavier clamps with the original trigger stick.   It doesn't hold them so well.  I bought the reaper grip and had to buy another tripod to use that head.  It looks like the apex come with a clamp.

I hope I get to try out these Bog Havoc shooting sticks, on a big doe with my T/C Omega ML, in less than a week:

5252AC06-4F4C-4412-A020-C4D6CC730162.thumb.jpeg.1e5f217ffca91892c836263112dffe7e.jpeg
They are very light, and seem like they would be very way to use.  I will post back in a week or so, to report on how they work. 

i will need an east or a north-east wind for that, so that I can use my pre-positioned and “brushed in” pop-up blind.  Otherwise, I will be hunting from a “natural” blind platform, where I have a tree to rest against, if the doe comes out onto my corn, turnip, old clover, or new wheat/clover food plots.  They all intersect right behind that cultipacker, 30 yards from the blind:

E8AC2D19-60E9-4C1E-AA1F-E3FA5C20F534.thumb.jpeg.54742a13ba576602c0f664bb89888f2b.jpeg