Latest info and answers to questions about NY States new gun laws

How ever you look at it, it proves beyond a doubt that Democrats are the party of gun haters and 2nd Amendment enemies.  If you vote for ANY democrat, this is what your vote will bring, regardless of whatever else you voted for them to do.  Wise up people.

• Like 3

Heard a judge heard arguments last week on some of the law suits filed against these new laws. Anyone  heard when a decision may be reached on this. I was hoping something would be released today. 
I talked with a couple troopers today. Was told nothing that goes into affect tomorrow is in place. No one has been hired for any training, background checks not in place. 
Going to be interesting to see what happens tomorrow if this stuff is not in place 

Did you guys take a look at Q14 so do we or don’t we have to take the safety course. If we already have a conceal carry permit. Next are they making shit up as they go along.

Q14) Do I need to take the firearm safety training course if I already have a concealed carry license that was issued outside of New York City or Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk counties? A) No. Existing concealed carry pistol or revolver license holders with licenses that were issued outside of New York City or Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk counties are not required to take the firearm safety training course. 

A close friend  has a ffl . Has been waiting over a year to get his papers  from ny . He was notified  that all his paperwork will be void and shredded.  He will have to reaply sending his non refunded fees again . The stipulations added to his gun shop permits  now exceed what he could make back for years to come . The shop is in his basement.  They have mandated 24 hour surveillance  cameras...must be stored on a secured  server  for multiple  years . All ammo purchases must be documented and stored for years. And the kicker... all windows and entrants into the building must be barred . His wife said hell no. He is dropping his ffl and not reapplying for the state permits. Oh they now refer to gun shops as high risk. Mandated 2 million dollar insurance policy.  WTF.

• Sad 1

Did you guys take a look at Q14 so do we or don’t we have to take the safety course. If we already have a conceal carry permit. Next are they making shit up as they go along.
Q14) Do I need to take the firearm safety training course if I already have a concealed carry license that was issued outside of New York City or Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk counties? A) No. Existing concealed carry pistol or revolver license holders with licenses that were issued outside of New York City or Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk counties are not required to take the firearm safety training course. 
My question is being that all permits are "concealed carry" are they only referring to "full carry"? Or is a sportsman now considered in the "no 16hr course needed" also going forward to be considered no restrictions? They don't mention "no restrictions", simply "concealed carry."

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

My question is being that all permits are "concealed carry" are they only referring to "full carry"? Or is a sportsman now considered in the "no 16hr course needed" also going forward to be considered no restrictions? They don't mention "no restrictions", simply "concealed carry."

No restrictions is concealed carry, or full carry. If you live in the counties listed above you will need to take the courses to get an upgrade after 9/1. A sportsman is NOT now considered No restrictions. You must write to the judge asking for an upgrade from sportsman to No restrictions. Same applies for all previous permits that were not No restrictions. Dwelling, employment, etc all need to upgraded 

No restrictions is concealed carry, or full carry. If you live in the counties listed above you will need to take the courses to get an upgrade after 9/1. A sportsman is NOT now considered No restrictions. You must write to the judge asking for an upgrade from sportsman to No restrictions. Same applies for all previous permits that were not No restrictions. Dwelling, employment, etc all need to upgraded 

But do individuals with permits that have “sportsman” restrictions have to take the course / training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, escpen said:

But do individuals with permits that have “sportsman” restrictions have to take the course / training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you apply for an upgrade after 9/1 and live in the counties listed above you will need to take the training.  

6 hours ago, Larry said:

But we will need to take the firing course / test it seems 

They're all "concealed carry", NY does not issue any other type of pistol permit. They did not specify anywhere in the troopers information any distinction, they only mention, "concealed carry." I guess I'm not too sure that I'd have to write a judge to remove restrictions when the whole premise of the Scotus decision was to not have the burden of proof for no restrictions? Where did you see that you must write a judge to lift any restrictions? I realize it used to operate that way.

52 minutes ago, chrisw said:

They're all "concealed carry", NY does not issue any other type of pistol permit. They did not specify anywhere in the troopers information any distinction, they only mention, "concealed carry." I guess I'm not too sure that I'd have to write a judge to remove restrictions when the whole premise of the Scotus decision was to not have the burden of proof for no restrictions? Where did you see that you must write a judge to lift any restrictions? I realize it used to operate that way.

Any language in this new bill will only refer to conceal carry. That is what this whole new bill is all about. If you had a permit PRIOR to this being passed, and it was a sportsman permit, or one for employment or dwelling,  it DOES NOT automatically became a concealed carry or no restrictions permit with the Supreme Court ruling. You still need to apply for a permit upgrade. May even have  to fill out an amendment form for the upgrade. I’d check on the amendment form. But all permits do not become concealed carry because of the law. If you have a sportsman permit and do not apply for an upgrade your permit is still a sportsman permit. got this below from Q & A on Syracuse newspaper. 

If I already have a restricted pistol/revolver permit, can I now carry in public?

No. You’ll still have to apply for the unrestricted permit, also called a concealed-carry permit, according to New York law enforcement officials.

16 hours ago, boo711 said:

Heard a judge heard arguments last week on some of the law suits filed against these new laws. Anyone  heard when a decision may be reached on this. I was hoping something would be released today. 
I talked with a couple troopers today. Was told nothing that goes into affect tomorrow is in place. No one has been hired for any training, background checks not in place. 
Going to be interesting to see what happens tomorrow if this stuff is not in place 

As a 2A advocate, you see that as a problem.  As an anti-2A advocate, you see that as a great solution  You are required by law to meet certain criteria judged or administered by the government, and the government does not provide the means for meeting the  criteria.  

Any language in this new bill will only refer to conceal carry. That is what this whole new bill is all about. If you had a permit PRIOR to this being passed, and it was a sportsman permit, or one for employment or dwelling,  it DOES NOT automatically became a concealed carry or no restrictions permit with the Supreme Court ruling. You still need to apply for a permit upgrade. May even have  to fill out an amendment form for the upgrade. I’d check on the amendment form. But all permits do not become concealed carry because of the law. If you have a sportsman permit and do not apply for an upgrade your permit is still a sportsman permit. got this below from Q & A on Syracuse newspaper. 

If I already have a restricted pistol/revolver permit, can I now carry in public?

No. You’ll still have to apply for the unrestricted permit, also called a concealed-carry permit, according to New York law enforcement officials.

You may be right. What I'm saying is that they should address the nomenclature as "restricted" or "no restrictions." A sportsman restriction is STILL a concealed carry permit. My permit says "concealed carry" on the front face, so by only addressing the entire bill as "conceal carry", it's deceiving. All permits issued are "concealed carry" in this state. I know what you're getting at, I'm simply saying that referring to "conceal carry" is a "no shit, they all are conceal carry" moment to me, whether they are restricted or not is a separate classification.

• Like 1

I was reading their website this morning. I'm at my 5 year recert in December this year anyhow, but now technically that it's 3 years I guess I'm expired? IDK, last time the police sent me a letter proactively. Now it looks like they're trying to go to an online system, which is nice. Thank god existing owners don't have to take the training class.

I hate how this is written as it's a partisan approach to the whole thing and someone is sucking her tit as they wrote it, but it clarifies some things at least

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-new-concealed-carry-laws-passed-response-reckless-supreme-court

most of the helpful stuff is linked from there to here though:https://gunsafety.ny.gov/

and of course to this "helpful" website, there is nothing about ammo. Just which gun bad, which gun ok lol

Edited by Belo

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

I hate how this is written as it's a partisan approach to the whole thing and someone is sucking her tit as they wrote it, but it clarifies some things at least

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-new-concealed-carry-laws-passed-response-reckless-supreme-court

most of the helpful stuff is linked from there to here though:https://gunsafety.ny.gov/

and of course to this "helpful" website, there is nothing about ammo. Just which gun bad, which gun ok lol

I’m waiting to hear from someone who tried to buy ammo to see if background check system is in place. 

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

You may be right. What I'm saying is that they should address the nomenclature as "restricted" or "no restrictions." A sportsman restriction is STILL a concealed carry permit. My permit says "concealed carry" on the front face, so by only addressing the entire bill as "conceal carry", it's deceiving. All permits issued are "concealed carry" in this state. I know what you're getting at, I'm simply saying that referring to "conceal carry" is a "no shit, they all are conceal carry" moment to me, whether they are restricted or not is a separate classification.

Yes all licenses are concealed carry in this state. I may have misunderstood what you were asking.  My apologies if I was off what you were looking for

• Like 1

Interesting. My recertification date fell into the gap where it was between 3 and 5 years since the license was issued (about 3.5 years). So it was not due to recertify until the new laws came into effect at which point it became overdue. I tried a few weeks ago to recertify and the website said I had to wait until at least 1 year before it was due. I tried it again just now and it allowed me to recertify, but I get the same message as above that it's due again in 5 years time, not 3.

So they updated the website to allow recertification at the 3 year mark, but didn't update the text to reflect the 3 year requirement and it still refers to 5 years.

Confusing!