Latest info and answers to questions about NY States new gun laws

8 minutes ago, PraiseDiana said:

Interesting. My recertification date fell into the gap where it was between 3 and 5 years since the license was issued (about 3.5 years). So it was not due to recertify until the new laws came into effect at which point it became overdue. I tried a few weeks ago to recertify and the website said I had to wait until at least 1 year before it was due. I tried it again just now and it allowed me to recertify, but I get the same message as above that it's due again in 5 years time, not 3.

So they updated the website to allow recertification at the 3 year mark, but didn't update the text to reflect the 3 year requirement and it still refers to 5 years.

Confusing!

so did you successfully recertify? 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

except this isn't what the law says and any plastic or metal gun case isn't what the law says either, because none of those are fireproof. 

this state is such a joke

Capture.JPG.bbd3a81c918d6f1fff95b9eaf00c0343.JPG

That’s such a ridiculous rule. So now I have to put my shotgun into a convenient carrying case for any would-be robbers? 

44 minutes ago, sbuff said:

August 27th

https://troopers.ny.gov/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-recent-changes-nys-gun-laws

Q11 and Q14 seem to exempt current CCW holders

Based on the language , we’ve been told current holders outside of nyc and five neighboring counties , do not have to take the course for recertification .

Also our county sheriff said they won’t be arresting folks for inadvertently carrying where it’s now off limits , while the NYSP leaders all got puffys and can’t wait to enforce this sh!t .

I have a locking metal cover on my trucks bed, when we go to lunch the long guns go there anyways . Since they didn’t define “ fireproof “ with any standards , like UL or industry standards as far as I’m concerned that meets said requirements. Anyways it should read fire resistant .

in a nutshell I’m not changing a damn thing I do .

• Like 1

Based on the language , we’ve been told current holders outside of nyc and five neighboring counties , do not have to take the course for recertification .
Also our county sheriff said they won’t be arresting folks for inadvertently carrying where it’s now off limits , while the NYSP leaders all got puffys and can’t wait to enforce this sh!t .
I have a locking metal cover on my trucks bed, when we go to lunch the long guns go there anyways . Since they didn’t define “ fireproof “ with any standards , like UL or industry standards as far as I’m concerned that meets said requirements. Anyways it should read fire resistant .
It looks to me the new law makes it illegal to carry a pistol anywhere in NY other than home or in a vehicle. All public places are out and also all private property unless specifically posted as allowing concealed carry firearms are all felonies. If this stays as law what is the sense of having a pistol permit?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I've often left a second long gun in my vehicle in one of those soft zip up gun cases while I went out hunting.  So now this is technically illegal.  It needs to be in a lockable hard case according to this stupid new law.  The question I have is can a DEC conservation officer bust you if he would walk up on you while you are coming back to your vehicle and sees the second gun in only a soft case?  I'm not worried about a state trooper walking up on me in this way so much but I've had DEC conservation officers stop where I was parked and asked if I bagged anything and asked to see my hunting license.  This would really stink if hunters would now be getting into big trouble this way.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, left field said:

That’s such a ridiculous rule. So now I have to put my shotgun into a convenient carrying case for any would-be robbers? 

the way I read it, it's only if you ever leave your vehicle. So for some, that's not at all. But for many they stop to get gas, run a quick errand in a store or on the way to hunting camp they make a stop. I know if I'm going long distance that my gun is in a case to keep the optics protected, but I've never locked it and usually it's in the back of the cab which isn't technically out of site, but much safer than the bed with tonneau cover. 

Honestly the way the law reads though it says it needs to be fireproof, which nobody can reasonably expect and the DEC comment conflicts with the law. 

28 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I don't understand the fireproof thing at all. Fireproof doesn't make it harder to steal. You'd think they'd be happy if our guns melted in a fire lol. The only reason to even have fireproof is to preserve your guns, documents and valuables, but not to protect from a burglar... Like any bad guy is getting their guns from someones house anyhow. Hell, the new law doesn't even require fireproof safes in the house, just locks if you have someone under 18 (I don't hate this part of the law btw). But it does require it for transporting? It's a gotcha bs part of the reg and nothing more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

the way I read it, it's only if you ever leave your vehicle. So for some, that's not at all. But for many they stop to get gas, run a quick errand in a store or on the way to hunting camp they make a stop. I know if I'm going long distance that my gun is in a case to keep the optics protected, but I've never locked it and usually it's in the back of the cab which isn't technically out of site, but much safer than the bed with tonneau cover. 

Honestly the way the law reads though it says it needs to be fireproof, which nobody can reasonably expect and the DEC comment conflicts with the law. 

Putting fireproof aside for a moment ... there's a legal argument to be made that a locked car is secure. Certainly a traditional trunk is.

As much as a pain in the ass as this is, a plastic case with a shitty lock is doable.

I stopped off to grab some shotshell yesterday and one gun shop was taking down personal info on every sale, while at another it was business as usual.

• Like 1

FWIW, I buy plastic gun cases from a smaller outdoor shop. If i buy 5 i get a pretty good discount (just over $20), they come wrapped that way from distributor. Maybe those without can do the same with others.

I buy ones where the handle is recessed smooth at the latch side as part of the injection molding so i can wrap with cardboard for shipping.

I almost always transport hardcase anyway, Pelican or aluminum, so have options from 1-4 long guns in size. I have never left a gun just laying exposed on a car seat going into a store,  just seems like inviting stupidity. 

4 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

FWIW, I buy plastic gun cases from a smaller outdoor shop. If i buy 5 i get a pretty good discount (just over $20), they come wrapped that way from distributor. Maybe those without can do the same with others.

I buy ones where the handle is recessed smooth at the latch side as part of the injection molding so i can wrap with cardboard for shipping.

I almost always transport hardcase anyway, Pelican or aluminum, so have options from 1-4 long guns in size. I have never left a gun just laying exposed on a car seat going into a store,  just seems like inviting stupidity. 

They are bulky, take up more space in your vehicle and way more expensive than most soft cases.  It's one thing if you are flying or shipping a firearm, but to drive to a hunting spot they are absolutely NOT needed.  You lay the gun down on softer surface in your vehicle and don't throw anything heavy over it and you are good to go.  I've been driving to my hunting spots, usually 3 plus hours away for over 40 years and I never had a gun damaged or scope go off zero.  And it's also way easier to remove or put a gun back into a soft case compared to a hardcase, especially with half frozen hands in cold weather.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Just be careful that's all ,someone some place will be made an example of .

49 minutes ago, left field said:

Going to shoot sporting clays tomorrow. Put my shotgun into a shitty plastic case that has a couple of holes for a lock. 

So much for my lovely waxed canvas and leather soft cases.

This state is a train wreck. 

I just quit my job, its easy to find another one for me in my area, there is simply not much talent for what i do.

First time ever, i am have started to think i should move.

Not based on this particular set of laws, but it certainly just keeps adding to the list.

Was told nothing that goes into affect tomorrow is in place. No one has been hired for any training, background checks not in place.

That way they can put you on hold indefinitely and stop the process claiming lack of funds or other asinine like excuse. 

Delay delay delay you got to admit that this a a great way of gun confiscation by making everybody a felon....that way we can't vote or run for office.....

The courts are not going to do anything until somebody who is arrested and convicted appeals.  That person is the aggrieved and then the court cases can begin. The lower courts have NO wish to say this is "unconstitutional" so it will drag on for at least 56 years...that is unless the Supreme Court has a backbone and stops this poke on the eye by NY...we are in for a world of hurt.

MY Great Uncle told me all about this issue when either Stalin/ Nazis came into my ancestral village and issued new "safety laws" ( "It only affects the bad guy".... who was defined as anybody who disagreed with them." That was followed by re-education trips to Gulags (2 cousins),Nazis slave labor camps (1 Uncle and 3 cousins) and in the village lynching (boys 9 and 13 year old after being accused of terrorism) if you complained.

Never thought it could happen here....but the virtue signaling, progressive, self loathing guilt plagued government officials are showing me just how wrong I was.

Freedom Not Compliance

• Like 1