Alaska

Nomad

It’ll be hard enough to get my Swiss Army knife on the cruise ship !

Although our lady guide on a trail walk today had a stainless short barreled 12ga over her shoulder . 

besides it’s all really old people , some with canes , I can simply knock them over then run . 

I also put some salmon in the Mrs pockets ….. and she’s slow as hell .

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

We were there last summer for two weeks - ecocruise on a small 16-person vessel for a week hiking and kayaking in Prince Williams sound, then heli-fished three days on Clear Creak out of Talkeetna while the wife hiked Denali (Mt. McKinley for those of us who grew up in the 70s), then a bit more hiking for the two of us around Talkeetna. Awesome trip, great weather, lots of wildlife. I'm glad you're enjoying it. 

The wife was back up to Alaska two weeks ago for a meeting on perceptual learning, but didn't get to venture far from Alyeska lodge with dawn to dusk talks, and it rained non-stop while she was there. We made up for it by hooking up in Banff (her coming from the west and me coming from the east, with no hiccups amazingly) and hiking for a week; unreal vistas, too dang many people. We were first on the trail in the morning and had them to ourselves going up. But coming down was like bumper cars with dozens if not hundreds of other folks climbing. The trail head parking lots were full by 9 am. Lake Louise and Moraine Lakes were almost completely inaccessible. LIke I say, amazing place, but I won't be going back soon.

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 2

We’re on land then sea tour it’s not bad but busy as hell . The excursions are nice , and food great !

My days of days of canoeing these rivers for a week plus are over , nice views from the trains , buses and ship . Warm beds hot showers and strong drinks .

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

Jet boat ,Devil’s canyon .

B9FB4349-BD6D-4BCA-B70B-35D57A3B1E53.jpeg

46D97717-E0CC-4697-968D-482A13994646.jpeg

01769F7C-9E00-4DD6-9901-0936DF29B83A.jpeg

807F04C3-967D-4184-872B-56C164D47812.jpeg

loved Talkeetna !  Was mid 80.s in early July  09 . Shop owners were complaining how hot it was. Thye'd leave shop doors wide open and said the day before we were there thay had to close them as a few grizz were just roaming around town 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Burying the lead....HOWS THE PIZZA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me tell you I had about the BEST wings I ever had up here ! Meaty , crisp skin but juicy meat , sauce was a good Buffalo style . Really good and fast service .

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:05 AM, knehrke said:

We were there last summer for two weeks - ecocruise on a small 16-person vessel for a week hiking and kayaking in Prince Williams sound, then heli-fished three days on Clear Creak out of Talkeetna while the wife hiked Denali (Mt. McKinley for those of us who grew up in the 70s), then a bit more hiking for the two of us around Talkeetna. Awesome trip, great weather, lots of wildlife. I'm glad you're enjoying it. 

The wife was back up to Alaska two weeks ago for a meeting on perceptual learning, but didn't get to venture far from Alyeska lodge with dawn to dusk talks, and it rained non-stop while she was there. We made up for it by hooking up in Banff (her coming from the west and me coming from the east, with no hiccups amazingly) and hiking for a week; unreal vistas, too dang many people. We were first on the trail in the morning and had them to ourselves going up. But coming down was like bumper cars with dozens if not hundreds of other folks climbing. The trail head parking lots were full by 9 am. Lake Louise and Moraine Lakes were almost completely inaccessible. LIke I say, amazing place, but I won't be going back soon.

Perceptual learning conference in Alaska! How do I get on that mailing list?