2013 Fletch in the Field

Fletch

11/15 pm 55

Out back in the fav stand for 2 hours real quiet. Last bow watch was a big nothing.

Good luck tomorrow all. The whole gang of us will be down in Tully. There is still just a touch of snow on the ground there. It will be gone after midday tomorrow.

Wow what a pathetic opener we had. 5 guys on watch Saturday for a total of 32 hours not one deer sighted!

3 of us out Saturday and my BIL saw a couple no shot and that was it.

There was not a lot of shooting, I did have a buck chasing two doe under me 30 minutes before light Sat morning and that was it.

We interrupt my pathetic start to gun season with my bow season sighting averages.

Total time in stand during legal hours 74. A bit over 20 hours less than last year. Gotta cut down travel next year!

14 racked bucks sighted for an average of 1 buck every 5.28 hours on watch.

16 antlerless sighted and 4 unknown. 34 total sightings gives an average of 1 deer sighted every 2.18 hours on stand.

Out of the bucks I had one mature one that I messed up on the rest were skippers. I took one doe so I did not wiff!

The averages are very good for me and it was a very good bow season. Big improvement on last year for sightings!! The sightings were very good early for me.

Well we now return to gun season!

• Like 1

11/19 pm 34

Got out back in fav stand for last 1.5 hours. Got excited hearing something coming up behind me. Turned out to be 8 turkeys. Nice to see them since I have not seen any here all summer or fall but a couple weeks late!!

Maybe in the morn something will show. Have not seen a deer yet in gun at 13 hours in the stand and another 4 or so poking around. :negative:

11/20 am 21

Wow a bit cold this morn!! It surely had the deer moving. I saw 7 deer total though two might have been repeats. One a small buck and one chasing two does that must have been a buck. The only one that was close enough for a shot was a fawn who came in and ate ferns at 25 yards. Just a baby! Also had two on cam I pulled out on my way out that went by cam 20 minutes before I pulled card. And these were 2 that could not have been ones I saw so a lot of movement. Sat for 2.5 hours. Had to get in to work, now trying to slip back out.

11/23

Hunted in my climber up top for first 3 hours. Had to go go go so head down to truck drop gear. Head into pines yup jump two 75 yards from truck. pfft

Take a long hike mid day and pull out my climber on way out sick of that hill!

Heading in for last watch walking beside my BIL one pops out on us down the line. I was thinking 150 or so and dialed up the scope saw some bone on the head, it was a decent sized deer and I was hungry so touched her off he dropped right there. Skipper 4 point will eat real good. measured it out at 208 yards with the 30-30. Longest shot I have ever taken. I am usually up close and personal.

Will put up a pic later going out in the snow. Just procrastinating cause it is sooo cold this morn!

• Like 1

Thanks Light!

Out this morn 19 out and cccold! Sat 3 hours and saw 3 go across way up ridge one looked big. Then had 3 go by me at 9 or so. All three were tiny all fawns or if one was mom she was no bigger than the other 2! went by at 45. Deer went by all 4 of my stands during daylight in there but no one was out with me. Just saw two down by the river down the street coming home from breakfast.

11/24 pm cold

Back out behind the house. Had three cross right in front of my stand while I was out. About 4 had two little ones cross behind me trotting. Around 4:30 had a small buck nose in their tracks following them. About 5 minutes later had one cross in front of me in the pines. Looked like another small buck. On way out hit 4 or 5 more sets of tracks that were not there on way in. Saw 10 deer today 7 were fawn size, two little bucks, tagged out, and one not sure was way out. The deer were really moving today! Try it in the morn.

11/25 am 21

Out back for 2.5 hours. 6 inches snow on ground. Cut one real fresh track on way in. Very white out with all snow stuck to the trees. Was doing a last scan just before 9 before getting down and see a deer behind me 80 yards or so along the creek bottom. Had a couple good shot ops right off but I saw a second and was trying to figure out what was what and what was bigger. After that never did get a clean shot. They worked very slowly along creek away browsing. I watched them for 50 minutes and I needed to get to work I could still see them as I was getting down out of tree and slipping out other way.

11/26 pm 34

Shoulda skipped am hunt and got out for evening hunt earlier storm coming got some moving

Jumped one going in near bros stand saw two just before dark but too far back. Like like same 2 I saw yesterday coming out of same area.

On way out 3 fresh tracks under bros stand shoulda sat there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk