2013 Fletch in the Field

Fletch

Thanks zem!

Turkey day

Cold

Hunted behind house for 3 hours I was toasty even if I looked like Pilsburry Dough relative!

Bro in as well nothing

Met up with bil at inlaws and had a doe moving but she slipped us, bil missed a yote I kicked up.

Out in evening in hole and nothing and no tracks but one man going through my lower spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/29

Hunted around home for morning bil and I. Nothing going on.

My uncle called said he was in town and met us in Tully. It was still cold we went and found some fresh tracks and set up my bil herding and my uncle and I on watches. My bil ended up jumping 2 out beds and shot a real nice 8.

post-481-13859855598186_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sat we hunted Tully it was rediculouscold 4 degrees! We sat for a bit then started driving. Going in to start one drive we put up 7! I saw. 5 no shot ops . We spent a couple hours trying to get those deer where we wanted! They won, there were tracks all over.

Came home for night watch and I saw at least 3 and messed up shooting a small doe because she was small and I was trying to make sure she was not a. Uh button. I judge a lot better when more than one are out!

My bro shot at a buck and when I got out to him at dark he was still in stand and directed me over to sheer he shot and I heard the deer move off. We pulled out and circled out to the house. We decided to let him sit till morn.

11/30

Met bro at 7 and went on for the buck. Well I determined first shot hit a sapling and looked like the second hit. I found a tiny mist in two spots no deer no beds. Spent next hour plus tracking deer never bedded and like 7 spots of blood. Pretty sure he grazed top of lower neck or just over shoulder by the signs of it. We certainly educated done deer!

We went to check his gun it was dead on so operator error.

Took evening off to go out and watch my Eagles win!

12/6 afternoon

Had a dentist apt around noon. After that I headed over to the inlaws to still hunt a bit. Spent about two hours and never cut a track pfft.

Headed over to another spot and sat down in the hole stand for the last couple hours nada.

All my cams are showing plenty of night movement about zero during the day.

12/7 am

Hunted the hole stand again and my brother was up on the ridge. I heard a shot up his way and he texted me it was behind him over the ridge on a neighboring prop but close. a few minutes later I hear him shoot. He smacked a small flathead, throw over the shoulder size. Veal.

Sat for a few hours and nothing.

12/8

Had an xmas party last night so slept in a couple extra hours. Met the boys down in Tully after first watch. Right about the time I got there my BIL buddy had a doe and buck come running by him really close and he missed the buck which he said was very big! Think he was looking at the rack to much. We did some drives to no avail.

Sat the last 2 hours and nobody say a deer.

8 in a row.

12/10 am 30

Sat down in the deep hole stand waiting for Porky or Pitch Fork to show up or anything for that matter! Two hours nothing but the tree rats.

Temp was colder when I left 28 and fell all day to 24 now. Possible big snow and wind coming. Hoping I can time something right to catch some movement on either end of that.

My spots are burnt and I do not have a lot of late season food for them all this cold and snow is hurting my spots.

I am just hoping on luck they are still around I see tracks from the ones keeping residence but they are nocturnal.

I will get out the next three days and hit some bigger public stuff and hope to walk one up.

12/13 pm

Hit the deep hole stand for 1.5 hours before dark. We have about 5 inches of fresh snow so quiet walking. I am going to have to put on the miles and do some still hunting this weekend. I was hoping for about a foot or more of snow at once here. I have a spot that I am convinced if I hit it during a big enough storm I will be in heaven. I have hit the spot twice too much after the storm and hit 30 to 40 beds each time the last couple of years. But it has to snow enough to even push them there.

12/14

Man I am sore!!

Sat hunted Tully in first half of the day. Mostly still hunted. I did put up two right on top where I sat the first 2 days of the season. Saw one of them no shot.

We got maybe 6=8 inches of snow so I hit that island in the swamp for last watch. Man it was cold. 0 with the wind chill. Sat a couple hors no luck.

12/15

Was going to meet up with BIL he was running late since we got another 6-8 inches and he was clearing out his wife's car. I decided to take a peek out back. Bumped two and they went down the creek bed. I tried to parallel them on the other side. After a couple hundred yards I see a decent looking doe about 80 yards across. I proceeded to kill a sapling. When I went over to look I turn around and a little one pops up 30 feet from me.

I never touched the doe. Spent a while sorting out tracks going all over. It looked like the initial two ran into 2 more bedded.... 12-14 inches of snow tracks going all over. I just wanted to be clear on the miss.

BIL finally showed up so we went behind the inlaws and tried to stir some up. We hit fresh tracks right off and got two up but they went out where we were not. Swung around team still hunting another section and I put 2 up and following them I see one under a pine tree. I pull up and shoot and after the cloud see it run a bit. The visibility stinks with all the snow on every branch. I reload and go check it out and find it piled up about 40 yards out. A small flathead. Good eats!

Got that out and had to go pick one up from the butcher and had a dinner to go to so took the evening off.

12/16

Had the day off with my Bro and BIL. We hit the inlaws again. The snow is now 16-18 or so inches deep. Nothing going on after miles of slogging on. Decided to hit the Hole area and put my boys on watch and did some pushing. Tons of sign from day before but no go on that one. Hit another small piece down a drainage and about crawled into a hole and cried, briars over my head, I came out with my shirt shredded and bloody. I do not call it the hole for nothing!

So the three of us meet up where my Bro was standing and talking about what to do next and I hear crack and look up and see a deer take off. Two had been bedded up in the briar above us 60 yards watching us for 10 minutes and my brother for another 30 before they lost nerve and broke. We tried to work around front and they split. I knew where one was going and just got over the ridge as it was going in the thick stuff. Big deer never did see what it was fully.

Pretty much end of day then so packed it in. My legs and dogs are feeling all that snow!!

Edited by Fletch

12/17

Well I thought I was going slow and quiet but the multiple deer bedded just to the side of my stand did not agree. I never saw a thing but 8 fresh beds and running tracks. A few were facing the way I came in so one must of saw me and it was up.

Pulled one cam on way out and good news a nice 8 point was around a week ago that I never saw on cam, also about 5 different small bucks so stock for next season.

Ended up with one in bow, one in rifle and one in muzzleloader. Messed up my shot at a big boy. Freezer looks ok but not great.

I am going south to hunt boars in Feb, so that should supplement a bit!!

Sad evening, end of another deer season. I did loose 14 pounds this hunting season!

Happy Holidays everyone!!