Has anyone

fasteddie

Has anyone picked up and processed a Roadlill deer ? In Irondiquoit they used to have a list of folks that would take fresh roadkill and the cops would drop them off at a residence of a person on the list . I would think there would be a lot of damaged meat on them . Just curious ...

Not personally, but I have friends who used to all the time until it became prohibited under the CWD quarantine.  I helped them skin one once and that was the end of that operation for me.

By the time you trim out all of the smashed up bloodshot jelley to get a couple pounds of meat out it's just too much screwing around for my taste.  Plus I'd think it has to be tough as old shoe leather.  Figure if you were standing in the road about to get hit by a car you'd get a big shot of adrenalin and tense up right before you got flattened out.

about 3 yrs ago a fellow i work with slammed a doe and it lay there kicking, about a minute later a town cop pulls up gets out and shoots the deer in the head to put it out of it's misery. anyway this guy calls me and asked if i would butcher it for him, in this particular case the shoulders were smashed up alittle beyond saving but the hindquarters and loins were fine...oh it also had 2 fetuses in it about 10 inchs long each, and no we didnt eat them!!

Twice. But in each case I was driving in the area fresh to the scene. One deer the officer had to put it down as 3 legs were broken. The other one had a little more damage from the hit I actually saw. But 1 loin & most of the rest was salvageable. In each case the driver did not want the deer and the officer filled out a possesion tag.

Funny thing / side story, on the one were I saw it get hit my kids were with me, btw they love venison. Once we finally got home & I got the deer out of the Jeep I figgured hey, lets get some KFC. Ok so give me a minute to wash off all the blood first, oh no. They wanted me to go as I was so they could stand behind me while I was placing the order and point & whisper "help us". :P