Iron Sights or Scope

BKhunter

I originally started muzzleloading as a way to extend my season, but slowly learned to appreciate the level of sport it brings. Granted todays muzzle loaders are a lot more high tech than the old time muskets, but it does in a way bring bring you back in time to the way hunting used to be. With that said I like using iron sights as you either need to practice your longer distance shots until you are sure in your abilities to ethically take the animal or be more up close and personal to ensure a clean kill. Anyway as I like to fully stock my freezer with meat I was toying with the idea of putting on a scope or red dot to increase my range of shot options, but still keep going back to the simplicity of iron sights and the traditional aspect of it. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on it and if people feel the same way.

I've been using a scope on my wolf for years , but this season I'm forced to go back to iron sights ("fiber optic" ) cause the scope to a s$&5... And I don't have the funds this year to pony up for another ... So ya I've been havin a good time practicing again with those longer shots with iron sights ... I think I'm going to enjoy late season this year because of the challenge, and will force me to adjust my game plan a bit....

I toyed around with iron sights on a few occasions but then I get frustrated because I'm so used to (or you can say spoiled) with the kind of grouping and accuracy I get with my scope that I always end up putting a scope on it.  I hate...absolutely hate missing.  Especially when there's a life on the other end of the barrel.  I'll keep my iron sights for paper targets just for fun.

• Like 3

Im with Elmo on this one. I just got a CVA Wolf and originally said I would keep it with the open sights..... but that didn't last long because I like getting nice groups at what ever range I decide. I would be openin to trying it out one day. but.... the scope is dialed in sooooId have to resight it in again after I put the scope back on.. I like upclose and distance shots. You can do both with a scope....

Or heres an option for you. Buy a scope mount that makes the scope sit higher up say 1 1/2" high, mount the scope and put your iron sights on as well. If you decide to take a shot with iron sights then look under the scope. if distance is your objective at the moment then look thru the scope.

Im with Elmo on this one. I just got a CVA Wolf and originally said I would keep it with the open sights..... but that didn't last long because I like getting nice groups at what ever range I decide. I would be openin to trying it out one day. but.... the scope is dialed in sooooId have to resight it in again after I put the scope back on.. I like upclose and distance shots. You can do both with a scope....

FWIW, I get groups with my unscoped muzzy @ 3" @ 100 yds.  That's minute-of-whitetail all day long.

These work good.I am scoped,because I dont hunt the early muzzleloader season in the north.If I did I would have these on my muzzy

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=KS&prodID=KSRENEGADE&prodTitle=Kwik-Site%20Thompson%20Center%20Renegade%20See-Thru%20Muzzleloader%20Scope%20Mount

Honestly, I found those mounts to be the worst known to mankind.  I'm not kidding either.  I have seen those on numerous rifles.  You can practically wiggle the scope side to side with those mounts. Something better should definitely be bought.

I had them on a old 30-30 I had and had no problems at all with them.I feel that most people don't know how to install a scope to save their azz(not saying that to you just a generalization).Most people don't threadlock screws down and most dont evenly torque the screws.

yup, I bet most scopes are installed with the rings tightened down way too much............I just recently bought a torgue screwdriver and while tightening down the screws to manufacturer specs, said too myself "this doesn't seem near tight enough"..........now I know why all the scopes I've installed in the past have ring marks on them.

My one and only ML is an early TC Hawken, a gun I received as a birthday gift in the early 1970s.

I used the open sights until my eyes began to age and I could no longer focus with them. At that time I installed a tang mounted peep sight, which still works well with my old eyes.

I actually think that I shoot offhand better with the peep sight than I do with a scope.

I don't think that I have ever taken a shot over 75 yards with it.

It came in handy when I had a chance to hunt elk in the Colorado ML season in 2004, because Colorado requires iron sights for its early ML big game hunts.

On my Muzzle loader (T/C Impact) I use a variable scope and really feel confident with my shots. I don't think I would put a seethrough mount on it. My Remington 700ADL in 30-06 has a see-through sight under which I may see my iron sights for close shot and use scope for long shot.

Maybe we should ponder a scope on to of the Muzzleloader and have a gunsmith move the iron sights over counterclockwise 46-60 degrees (canted sights). The barrel doesn't taper and canted sights on the side of the muzzleloader will likely be just as accurate as on top.

Canted sights are more popular than ever on AR platforms for 'in close work' while maintaining a scope sight picture on top of the platform.

Sorry to get off track by mentioning AR platforms.... Just pondering sight options from the free state of Ohio.

I just put a Bushnell Trophy DOA on my T/C and what a pain it has been to sight in. Im finally getting close but it still needs work. I was using the iron sights and it was plenty accurate just wanted to extend my range since most deer I saw during muzzleloader season I wasn't comfortable at that range with iron sights.

• 2 weeks later...