Iron Sights or Scope

BKhunter

Irons if required and for nostalgic reasons. Scope for any other hunting because of low light day, morning,  evening, brush, range, and identification with point restrictions. Irons can get pretty hard to see with at pass a 100 yards in woods with bifocals.

With the distance the modern Smok Poles are accurate with todays ammo for them why use iron sights.The see threw mounts ( and I have used them also in the past ) actually are the worst mounts to mount a scope on.The lower the better.Also quality mounts,Mounted the right way by a gunsmith.Unless you have the proper tools and laps to lap in the mounts and rings.

Switched out cheap plastic sights last year for Tru Glo aluminum sights on my Tradition and have a scope on my CVA. Am able to hold a baseball size group @ 100 yds. with the open sights. Most of my shots are within 50 yds. in the woods with it. The CVA I use if I am hunting fields or power line right of ways. Most of them are 100-200 yds. shots.

I wasn't able to put a scope on my muzzleloader due to hunting out of state for Mule Deer (they have restrictions for the "premiative weapon" hunt that only allows open sites or zero power scopes (which are dumb).  On my brother-in-laws suggestion (who lives in UT), he recommended an Eotech Holographic Sight (google: Eotech 552 Holographic Sight).  It is the best sight I have ever owned.  So much so I use it even here in NY where I could put a scope on if needed.  Not sure if anyone even knows what I am talkign about, but if you get a chance to check one out, I HIGHLY recommened it.  It is a nice balance between open sights and a scope with a much larger field of vision as you can keep both eyes open.  It is actually what our military uses on their M16's for tactical purposes.  Eotech made an aftermarket product for Bushnell for a while that was a bit cheaper than the military grade one they offer direct.  You can still fiind them floating around, although have been discontinued.  I have the Bushnell version.  My father has the Eotech version.  AWESOME sight!!

Edited by beachpeaz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a scope on one, a tang peep sight on another, williams sights on another and buckhorn on 2 others. I've taken deer with all of them, but snowy days and drives see the buckhorn sight guns going out, while nice clear days on standing corn sees the scope getting used or the great plains with tang peep,. deer drives the 2 pistols end up going, one modern one with williams sights and one kentucky pistol with buckhorn..

• 2 years later...

If you want to up the kill percentage and increase lowlight conditions in morning and evening which adds time to your hunts its a scope for sure. I have a modern muzzle loader and a cap lock. Killed a deer with the cap lock last season. Deadly accurate with patched round ball. For me I always feel more of an accomplishment with it. Its a whole different critter from my scoped smoke pole. I will use the cap lock when I go to Colorado for elk because scopes and modern bullets are not legal, but traveling that far and coughing up tag money I wish I could take my scoped weapon.

post-1053-0-76138600-1451261151_thumb.jp