What climbing tree stand to get?

Lord of War

I am looking to pick up a climbing stand and I have been looking at the Comfort Zone Stealth Climber for $99.  It has pretty good reviews aside the fact that it is heavy due to its steel construction.  I don't mind the extra weight as I am a 270 lb guy I just want something sturdy and priced right.  Does anyone have this stand and can let me know how they like it?  What stands do you other guys use/recommend?  Also what harness do you use and why?  Are there any other safety equipment I should bring for stand hunting like extra cables and safety lines?  Thanks.

Edited by Lord of War

I am a big guy, but like the summit goliath.  My harness is an hss.  Both work great.  The HSS is not much different than a basic harness but it is sewn into a lightweight vest.  Helps prevent tangling and is easy to slip on.  I would not go with a discount climber. The goliath is the more comfortable than any stand I have ever sat.

BTW - be sure to tie the top and bottom together on the climber - just in case.  My cousin had his bottom slip and he had to shimmy down a tree.  I know I wouldn't think of doing that.

Edited by moog5050

I started out with one of the Comfort Zone climbers years ago. I ended up selling it because of the mesh platform becoming noisy, etc. I made the jump to a Summit Viper and never looked back. Best move I made, as my CZ climber ended up not getting used hardy at all because it was so noisy. Im not saying noisy to climb with, Im saying noisy once you were up in it.

I started out with one of the Comfort Zone climbers years ago. I ended up selling it because of the mesh platform becoming noisy, etc. I made the jump to a Summit Viper and never looked back. Best move I made, as my CZ climber ended up not getting used hardy at all because it was so noisy. Im not saying noisy to climb with, Im saying noisy once you were up in it.

Well its my first year hunting, was it good for a beginner?  Aside from the noise was it safe and good quality construction?  I would probably upgrade to summit too ... its just I am blowing thru a lot of money this year on getting all the gear I need for hunting and the CZ climber is priced pretty nicely.

Edited by Lord of War

I am 6'5" 275 and I am a big fan of Summits, I bought a new Summit Viper last season but sold it on CL only last week because i didn't like the front bar, my favorite climber is a 10 year old Summit Cobra with an open front. You can NOT beat a Summit stand for stability and comfort, and when you are big, the lack of either of those things is magnified in a tree stand. I have a GamePlan gear transport system so carrying it a distance is really easy.

Don't cheap out on an entry-level stand when you are a big guy. Look on Craigslist, you just may catch a good deal on a near-new higher end stand, I sold mine for 150 and it was literally new. Of course I know most of the morons on CL try to sell their old crap for 50 bucks less than new, but its worth a look.

I also use the HSS vest, its the basic one, but it is comfortable and easy to get on and off and doesn't tangle. If you don't want to spend the money on a high end vest/harness now use the ones that come with a stand, they work just fine and always use the tether strap when climbing, falls happen during ascent and descent with climbers. Stay attached to the tree.

• Like 1

little guys can get away with most stands, but if you're full grown, like I am,  get a summit

I've been using summit stands for around 15 years, have gone through several models and IMO, they're the best

like fatboy said, the old cobra was awesome, you can climb a lot faster without the front bar

however,  as I get older I appreciate the front bar a little more, climbs slower, but more comfortable it also makes a great place to lay your bow

spend the money on a goliath, and don't look back

• Like 1

Get the best stand you can afford. Don't buy it just because its cheap. If you spend $100 this year and hate it you will be looking spend $250 next year. Save yourself the time and money, get the right stand the first time.

I would think you would be good with a 300 lb rate stand based on the idea they have a safety factor in the rate for those who go beyond the limits.

Full disclosure, I use Lone Wolf and love it. Solid stand. I bought years ago at a affordable price, the current prices are way up there.

Edited by pewlodar

I have the goliath.  You will love it and it held me just fine at around 340lbs last year.  Decent size platform too and really comfortable.  You will not regret that purchase.  Get an extra bungee chord to cinch it together when you pack it in to avoid any noise.  I also taped some extra padding around it to avoid any clanking of metal.

As stated before, please tie the top and bottom together and stay tethered to the tree when climbing and descending.

id strongly recommend googling third hand archery and picking up their stabailizer straps and bow holder. No exageration, the best 40 bucks ive spent in a long time. the bow holder makes it so you can climb the tree with your bow, and the stabailizer straps hold the top of the climber firm while your standing. 

www.thirdhandarchery.com

Edited by NYbuck50

Hate to break up the Summit love, but I've had an API climber for many years and love it.  Very stable, easy to use, and holds my almost 300 lbs safely.  Have a grandstand magnum, tried a summit once, but didn't like the cable latch system, at the end of the tube.  Have seen 1 summit cable break on a friends stand, cable broke at the stop, was probably a manufacturing defect, not from normal use.  (happened while climbing, 4 feet up,  didn't fall) API uses a coated bike chain to latch on to trees, and pins through the frame, seems better to me.

never skimp on a tree stand.  At 25 feet up, the extra $$ is well worth it, it's a long way down, and being caught by your harness isn't all that much fun.

id strongly recommend googling third hand archery and picking up their stabailizer straps and bow holder. No exageration, the best 40 bucks ive spent in a long time. the bow holder makes it so you can climb the tree with your bow, and the stabailizer straps hold the top of the climber firm while your standing. 

www.thirdhandarchery.com

I will definitely look into this.  I was wondering what kind of bow holders and accessories you guys used to prevent unwanted noise when going for a shot.

I have the goliath.  You will love it and it held me just fine at around 340lbs last year.  Decent size platform too and really comfortable.  You will not regret that purchase.  Get an extra bungee chord to cinch it together when you pack it in to avoid any noise.  I also taped some extra padding around it to avoid any clanking of metal.

As stated before, please tie the top and bottom together and stay tethered to the tree when climbing and descending.

Glad you like it.  I will definitely get the extra cord you mentioned and I will tie the 2 pieces together when climbing.  I have done a lot of reading on this and I know that losing the bottom half of the climber is the most common worst case scenario when climbing.  The other issue I have read about is the cord for your feet breaking ( not on summits but other brands).  Have you had this issue or any others I should keep an eye out for?

Glad you like it.  I will definitely get the extra cord you mentioned and I will tie the 2 pieces together when climbing.  I have done a lot of reading on this and I know that losing the bottom half of the climber is the most common worst case scenario when climbing.  The other issue I have read about is the cord for your feet breaking ( not on summits but other brands).  Have you had this issue or any others I should keep an eye out for?

What I do to keep them together, is I have a length of strap on the top, and another shorter piece with a spring loaded clip on the bottom. Its adjustable, so you can leave it longer while you climb, then tighten it up once you are where you want to be. Makes the stand feel even more solid. Ill see if I can find a link to one for you.