Be honest....

growalot

Mountain bikers and dog walkers on public land

kind of one of the things that suck about public land, but they have every right we do... although I doubt the walkers and hikers who are just as annoyed by hunters don't realize that our license fees are what help keep those trails groomed and opened.

• Like 1

Duck hunters!!!  Come first light/ prime time they start blasting away like crazy.  I know it spooks the mature deer.

My buddy who hunts in PA shot a 140 in 12 point. Not 50 yrds behind a duck hunter who had been shooting ducks along a river for 3 hrs. Deer never moved even after they walked passed it twice. third time it got nervous and stood up and he now hangs on his wall.

Coming into this way late... I'll relate my chipmonk story and think about recanting one in the same vain as what burmjohn brought out (pun intended... :D)

A LONG time ago I was hunting in the Alleghany Mountains in PA.  Beautiful day, fresh fallen snow, nice sunny day...  Well, this freekin' chipmonk decided to sit on the end of a log about 10 feet away from me and chirp - constantly at me.  This kept up for a good 15 minutes while I tried "shushing" the little sob away.   Finally I said outloud "Mr. Chipmonk, you've got exactly 5 minutes to stop". 

You'd figure that he'd of run with my voice, but nooooooooo.   Well, five minutes later it was still doing it. They don't stand up too well to a 150gr .300 Savage 99e.

Edited by SteveC

Trespassers on their four wheelers who either drive through my property out joy riding, or all to frequently are parking it close enough to my property line to hunt on me, and "amscray post haste" when they hear me coming or shoot something and beat feet out of there.

Number two..... My one male beagle who will bark non stop only when he knows I'm on the hill without him. Lol he only stops when I call the house and have my wife yell at him.

• Like 1

I drive out to quiet land and never see a deer and on the way home they are all in peoples front yrds. So i stopped going deep into the woods and started hunting the back yrds and as close as possible to civilization. deer have learned the woods are dangerous places to be  untill after dark so they sleep in the back yrds. I have deer right out my window in my pines as soon as the guns start booming and thats 40 yrds from the house. And as far as ATVS go I have killed more deer running from the neighbors as they go up the hill to there stands. As long as they stay off the property I hunt Its music to my ears because they usually come running right to me.

This past weekend was my first chance to hunt and it was just a little too warm.  Had contact with everyone elses problems from downshifting big wheelers, cars, tons of motorcycles, chain saws, duck-hunters, squirrels, chipmunks, birds all over, mosquitoes, and your trying your best to just hear the rustle of deer coming is just about impossible.  The squirrels running all around, you turn around finally to take a shot at them, and there's a deer looking right at you, and your thinking "REALLY". 

• Like 1

4 wheelers and dirt bikes are what drives me nuts.  

locals all know it's hunting season and the trails going through our family's land are closed.  those who don't learn real quick and it's not us that get all over them about it.  it's the others that they may ride with from time to time.  reason being if they don't respect that, the access is gone.

on another note.  back to the topic.....

apparently nobody here has a neighbor that doesn't keep his fence hot, five territorial cows get out of fence.  Said cows stay out and become more wild and free roaming than before.  Said cows visit every nice food source the deer do, and where a treestand exists.  Costs me three mature deer so far this season and I've only been out a couple weekends.

on another note.  back to the topic.....

apparently nobody here has a neighbor that doesn't keep his fence hot, five territorial cows get out of fence.  Said cows stay out and become more wild and free roaming than before.  Said cows visit every nice food source the deer do, and where a treestand exists.  Costs me three mature deer so far this season and I've only been out a couple weekends.

What is the problem?...Small freezer? no room for beef?

What is the problem?...Small freezer? no room for beef?

just being the better neighbor I guess to keep peace.  only a matter of time before the neighbor is warned again.  fall is best time to turn them into steaks too, even though all aren't 1.5-2 years old.  between his freezer and ours there's enough room.