Deerthug's 2013 Hunting Journal

Deerthug

Thanks guys! Took day off from the office and spent the day with my parents and in laws processing both deer. Total meat over 100lbs. So far made about 40lbs of ground meat mixed with some pork. 20lbs were made into venison burgers and the other 20lbs into 5 lb meatballs for chili. Need to freeze then vacuum seal. Rest was cut for stew and 4 huge prosciutto roasts. Finally back straps were cut up, sealed and frozen. Gotta go back tonight to seal the rest.

Edited by Deerthug

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping on going up this weekend but it's my daughter's first fencing meet tomorrow as Foil first starter which I can't miss. So instead I'm planning on heading up next Friday afternoon with my smoke pole.  I've been looking at my freezer, and I think there is still some room in there. Lol! Good luck to everyone else who is going this weekend. Be safe!

Well so much for getting in one last hunt next weekend. My daughter's fencing meet that was scheduled yesterday was forfeited by the other team because of insufficient competitors. So her meet has been moved to next Saturday which will now be an all day invitational fencing competition and she will be a starter.

My plan was to go up Friday afternoon for a weekend muzzy hunt but my daughter looked at me with those puppy dog eyes and asked: "Daddy can you go to my first meet?" and my wife turns to me and says "I've never asked you not to go hunting and this is the only time I have asked you not to go considering the fact that our freezer is full".

So as the Clash once sang, I asked myself "Should I stay or should I go now? If I go will there be trouble? Come on and let me know. Should I stay or should I go?"

And the answer is....... There is no way I'm missing my daughter's first fencing meet as a foil starter! My season is done ....for now.

• 9 months later...