Long Island Bow Hunting thread

JimmyDaSavage

Finally had a good sit on sunday. Had 3 does walk in after sunrise but were very skittish due to the strong winds,It seemed danger lurked behind every swaying tree. A small buck walk in and when he crossed the trail I walked in on he stopped,Sniffed the trail and quickly trotted off.I suspect he caught wind of my boot prints on the leaves. 3 minutes later a nice 8 walks down that same trail and hangs up,I grunt and bleat for several minutes,His tail starts to wag like an excited dog and then he charges in to within 12 yards,But at a bad angle to my right. No shot was offered and he quickly walked off looking for the guy who kept annoying him. Oh so close.

I was out last week for the entire week. I had the most unbelievable week of hunting ever. Missed two bucks in one day an 8 pointer and a 10 pointer due to arrow deflections and saw some monster deer as well as ten different bucks in one day on an all day sit. One I'm guessing was in the 160's and the other in the 150s. I managed to score on a decent 8 pointer but i can't get the two monsters i saw off my mind.  Im off again this week and will be hunting the island mon tues and wed. Then i will be heading upstate for a few days for the opener of gun season.  Good luck out there guys!!! This week should be a great one coming up and bucks should really start to chase hard.  

John

• Like 1

I was out last week for the entire week. I had the most unbelievable week of hunting ever. Missed two bucks in one day an 8 pointer and a 10 pointer due to arrow deflections and saw some monster deer as well as ten different bucks in one day on an all day sit. One I'm guessing was in the 160's and the other in the 150s. I managed to score on a decent 8 pointer but i can't get the two monsters i saw off my mind.  Im off again this week and will be hunting the island mon tues and wed. Then i will be heading upstate for a few days for the opener of gun season.  Good luck out there guys!!! This week should be a great one coming up and bucks should really start to chase hard.  

John

Unreal the week you had John! I wish I could have been there. Hopefully with God's will I make it there next year. Good luck this coming week! 

John

wow john, you had some week! good for you bud!

i have not seen a shooter deer all week... i mean i kicked one up when it was raining on my way to pull my card but thats it. saw a lot of chasing and many smaller bucks but nothing id shoot. ive been putting in a lot of time but cant seem to cross paths with one how id like. ill see how things go for next week, i may go in mid week but with how slow it is im not quite sure the shooters are in my area yet. i have 7 doe frequent my stand with only small buck on cam. im hoping when i get back to LI after gun opener things are going to be better on the island for me!

Yea supposed to be windy all week. I don't think it brothers the deer to much though. Was out today and saw 5 different bucks. 3 8s a big six and a spike. I also saw a ton of does in the morning but it was quiet in the afternoon. I ended up passing up a nice 8 under my stand waiting for the bigger one to come by that he was with and got skunked. I also saw a real nice buck come flying through at 11 chasing a doe and then they came back through at 2. he was on her real good and there was no way I was calling him off. I videoed the two 8s and the first one is the one i had under the stand the second one is the one i was trying to shoot

Edited by mbucks27

I was out yesterday. Lots of new scrapes and rubs.  I was set up in a nice area, lots of droppings, tracks.  Didn't see a thing. Hopefully this weekend will get better. Might try a county spot this week, since the private property will have a lot of traffic near it during the week. Good Luck guys.

Quiet on here? Anyone seeing anything on the island? Perfect morning didn't see anything except for on short drive to stand. Cousin had a small 8 come in to a bleat. Seems like rut is over down here. Saw most activity late October to early November. Hoping for a good second rut. Headed back out for afternoon then off to pa for gun opener.

I was pheasant hunting with my dog last week at Otis Pike and I noticed a ladder stand when I first entered into the woods.  I'm surprised someone would put a ladder stand on State land and a very active parcel.  It won't last in that spot, as everyone passes that area to get to the field.

• 2 weeks later...